Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris.G

Skin is really tight

Hello people,

Ive been on the regimen for a week and a half now, seeing results which is good still getting a few spots here and there but most of them are'nt forming a head. I would say my skin type was faily normal, more dry than oily.

My face feels so tight though, it hurts to move my face around lol. The sting from the BP has stopped now but still pretty red apart from around my mouth, i look like the joker just the other way around in colour contrast haha!

I was a bit stupid and started on a full fingers length for the first 5 days then read a bit more in detail and reduced it to half a fingers length.

my regimen is as dan has reccomended but im from the uk so im using a tube of "panoxy" and my moisturizer is some "E45" stuff.

Anyway a couple of questions ...

How can i stop my face feeling so tight? my face seems to be moisturized all day but feels really tight, adding more moisturizer doesnt help enough. I used some jojoba oil for the first time last night and my face felt slightly dryer/tighter in the morning :doh:

Should i drop the BP amount more to reduce the redness and tightness? If so how do i make a small amount cover my whole face? Or Should i use the same amount im using now but just in the evening?

My moisurizer does make my face sting and go slightly red when i apply it for about 2mins then goes, is this normal? Could anyone recommend a decent moisturizer from the UK which doesnt break the bank too much?

*edit* just thought from reading somone elses post maybe my cleanser is making my skin tight? im using this "freederm" stuff. Any better suggestions from retailers in the UK.

Any replies welcome, cheers.

Edited by Chris.G

Since you started off with so much BP, you might want to just take a few days off of using BP to let your skin heal a bit, and then start again with a very small amount of BP. And, lol, moisturize like crazy.

As for your skin stinging after you moisturize, this is from the FAQs:

Q: When I apply the moisturizer it burns/stings. What should I do?

A: Some people may experience light burning or stinging when they are new to the Regimen. The skin may be sensitive from the benzoyl peroxide and this may cause an uncomfortable sensation when the moisturizer is applied. This usually goes away within a few weeks as the skin adjusts to the new products. If it doesn't, you may want to try a different moisturizer. See our recommended products page. Also, be sure you did not start out with one of the AHA moisturizers. If you are going to use one of them, it's usually best to wait at least a month before doing so. The glycolic acid and/or lactic acid in them may create a brief sting or burning sensation to the skin.

I would also check that the E45 you are using is non comogenic. E45 products are good for dry skin, which may be beneficial when you are starting the regime, but when your skin becomes used to the BP and the dryness subsides you might want to consider useing a non-comogenic/oil free moisturiser such as Neutrogena oil free moisturiser or something similar, easy to find in Boots.

ok thanks guys,

how is the best way to spread a small amount of BP around my whole face with out my face eating it all before its been spread? Add some moisurizer with it?

Measure out the amount you're going to use, then dab it all over your face. Then you can start to gently rub it in.

Don't worry if it doesn't cover every little bit of your face. If you know for a fact that you didn't cover a certain part of your face at the last application, just be sure that you cover it the next time you apply your BP.

No I would'nt add moisturizer to it, just dot the BP around your face and then gentally apply. Dont worry about it going too thin at this stage, the idea at the start of the regime is to get your skin accustomed to the BP rather than clear the acne. Clearing will come when you can use the full amount, but dont rush this. Dan did a good video on this - have a look at his Blog, under Irritation category second video down worth watching a few times.

ok cheers all ...

Im going to give it a rest for today and the weekend then start again monday i think.

i got my jojoba oil from boots, it was the only choice there and cost £5. Its organic so it all good :)

Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. Assumed you weren't using any jojoba oil. Try using some both before applying BP (right after cleansing -- if flakes come off just gently pat your face again with the towel and they'll come off) and after (with the moisturizer as suggested by Dan). This will take care of flakiness and most likely make your skin less tight. The more jojoba the better. My skin's tight too but jojoba oil helps a lot. If it didn't make my shiny I'd use like 30 drops a day. It just works so well for dry skin. A regular moisturizer tends to make my skin red and gross, so I use less moisturizer and more jojoba oil.

I'm using Panoxyl too, by the way. And if you're looking for a new moisturizer that's available in the UK you could always get Cetaphil. It's really cheap and takes care of flakiness pretty well. I think Dan used it before he made his own. I don't love it because it's pretty thick and makes me look a little greasy, but it's better than most other ones I've tried over the last year.

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/cetaphil-mo...n_1_156709.html

It lasts for a long time. If you get your Panoxyl from that place as well you'll get free shipping (over £40). I never ordered from that place myself but I probably will from now on. Haven't found a cheaper place to get Panoxyl yet.

Edited by dirtbomb

I forget where the thread is, but someone suggested using jojoba before cleansing as a way to loosen up dry, dead skin --- I tried it and it works amazingly. When I get up in the morning I put 10 or so drops of jojoba oil on and firmly, but gently (being careful of active pimples) rub it around and it starts to loosen the dead skin and BP from the night before, I do it a good 1-2 minutes and then I leave it on almost as a mask for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off, use the cleanser, and when you're rinsing the cleanser off be a little more firm around your really dry spots and the dry, dead skin comes right off. The moistens it to the point where it rubs off. It doesn't get rid of all of it, but I notice it makes a big difference. Then I still use moisturizer too. Search the threads for the original suggestion. I was on the regimen for 3 months, stopped, and am back on and in those three months I wish I new about this strategy because it's really, really, helped the dryness and tightness.

Good luck.

I forget where the thread is, but someone suggested using jojoba before cleansing as a way to loosen up dry, dead skin --- I tried it and it works amazingly. When I get up in the morning I put 10 or so drops of jojoba oil on and firmly, but gently (being careful of active pimples) rub it around and it starts to loosen the dead skin and BP from the night before, I do it a good 1-2 minutes and then I leave it on almost as a mask for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off, use the cleanser, and when you're rinsing the cleanser off be a little more firm around your really dry spots and the dry, dead skin comes right off. The moistens it to the point where it rubs off. It doesn't get rid of all of it, but I notice it makes a big difference. Then I still use moisturizer too. Search the threads for the original suggestion. I was on the regimen for 3 months, stopped, and am back on and in those three months I wish I new about this strategy because it's really, really, helped the dryness and tightness.

Good luck.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/problems-...in-t162645.html

Yeah that's where I found out about using jojoba before BP too, scroll a bit and you'll find some info on that as well in the same thread. I do the "mask" thing maybe once a week too, it feels really nice. Definitely wish I knew about using jojoba for these kinds of things earlier, been struggling with flakiness for so long. Now it finally seems to be gone for realz.

Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. Assumed you weren't using any jojoba oil. Try using some both before applying BP (right after cleansing -- if flakes come off just gently pat your face again with the towel and they'll come off) and after (with the moisturizer as suggested by Dan). This will take care of flakiness and most likely make your skin less tight. The more jojoba the better. My skin's tight too but jojoba oil helps a lot. If it didn't make my shiny I'd use like 30 drops a day. It just works so well for dry skin. A regular moisturizer tends to make my skin red and gross, so I use less moisturizer and more jojoba oil.

I'm using Panoxyl too, by the way. And if you're looking for a new moisturizer that's available in the UK you could always get Cetaphil. It's really cheap and takes care of flakiness pretty well. I think Dan used it before he made his own. I don't love it because it's pretty thick and makes me look a little greasy, but it's better than most other ones I've tried over the last year.

It lasts for a long time. If you get your Panoxyl from that place as well you'll get free shipping (over �40). I never ordered from that place myself but I probably will from now on. Haven't found a cheaper place to get Panoxyl yet.

Ok Thanks for this ill give that ago ...

*edit* That site only has 5% and 10% BP :snooty:

Cheers people

Edited by Chris.G

Really? Damn that sucks. This is where I've been getting my BP for the last year though:

http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/

I reckon they have Cetaphil as well. They ship very fast usually. A bit more expensive though but nothing crazy.

Yeah give the jojoba thing a try. It works so so well for me. 5-10 drops right after cleansing, and about 5 drops mixed with moisturizer after BP. You can use more no doubt. I'm currently trying to reduce the amount though because I look a little too shiny. It works pretty well to just pat some paper (like toilet paper) gently on my face afterward, removes a lot of the shine but seems to preserve the moisturizing effect of the jojoba oil. Still experimenting a lot with these kinds of things. Let me know how it works out for you. Be sure to try out the "mask" as well, as recommended in the thread linked to above.

Edited by dirtbomb

yea ill be starting the regimen again monday ... from not using BP for 2 days really helps your skin recover back to normal only a slight bit flaky now ... no tightness or redness.

Any way yeah ill give that ago sounds like a good regimen and ta for the link :cool:

Cool. I too (back in 2009) started out just way too fast on the Regimen. I never stopped though, which I regret today. So I'm glad you did. I basically started out on the full amount of BP which is just crazy, haha. And I didn't use any jojoba oil at all. Damn did my skin suck. It was SO dry. I cleared up eventually though. I strongly recommend you follow Dan's advice this time because going from zero BP to that huge amount I did is simply insane, I was so eager to clear up but it probably just took me longer this way.

Remember that flakiness and some redness can stay for longer though, so don't give up just because you're getting flaky and red again the second time. It's just a part of the Regimen many of us have to live with which can be reduced A LOT or even entirely if you're doing precisely what is right for YOUR skin (like I've been saying I'm experimenting with jojoba oil right now and it seems to be something my skin likes a lot). My skin does hate BP and is still a little pink or even red (darker than the rest of my body anyway, until summer's here -- then it will look normal because the rest of my body will have a tan) but my case is probably very unusual. It's way better than having moderate-severe acne though which I used to have before I went on the Regimen.

Good luck.