Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jessicauofw

Can someone explain this?!

So I've been doing some massive research on what pill I should switch to. A bit of a background..........I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen for about 3 years, for the first 2 years my skin was flawless........and then around the 2.5 year mark, BOOM, pimples everywhere - that NEVER heal. How absolutely frustrating. I read somewhere that triphasic pills tend to be worse for acne as the hormone levels are constantly changing so technically so is ur skin. Annnnyways.................................everyone always said OTC is great for skin.................yet I did some research and came across this website:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/article_Acne-An...rmones_225.html

READ THIS CAREFULLY:

"The Progestin Component

Natural progesterone is difficult to manufacture, so synthetic forms similar in structure and action to natural progesterone are used in oral contraceptives. These are referred to as progestins.

Progestin can be derived from testosterone by the simple removal of a methyl group from the testosterone. This creates the derivative Norethindrone.

Progestin can also come from the addition of a methyl group to testosterone and is called Norgestrel.

Both Norethindrone and Norgestrel are structurally similar to progesterone but contain little androgenicity.

Norgestrel turns into Levonorgesterel, it's active form and has more progesterone activity making it more useful for women facing progesterone insufficiency conditions but more likely to be acne forming.

Norethindrone derived progestins also include Norethindrone Acetate, Ethynodiol Diacetate and Lynesterol (this is not available in the U.S.)

Levonorgesterel derived progestins also include Desogestrel, Norgestimate and Gestodene (this is not available in the U.S.)"

-SO............Norgestrel turns into Levonorgesterel which is likely to be acne forming.........some Levonorgesterel progestins include NORGESTIMATE..................NORGESTIMATE IS THE PROGESTIN IN ORTHO TRI CYCLEN....................yet it's good for acne? I'm very confused.................................

ANY IDEAS OR THOUGHTS?!?!?!?!

Jess

P.S - I'M THINKING OF SWITCHING MY PILL TO DEMULEN (Zovia), ideas?

I was suppose to take OTC after being on Yasmin for the past few months but haven't because I heard to many bad side effects and acne problems. No thank you! LOL.

Sorry I couldn't help, I just wanted to add my 2 cents. :eh:

I definitely appreciate it..........how did Yasmin work for you? I was prescribed that but never got on it cuz of all the side effects I read lol...............OTC is the devil, don't waste ur time!

I definitely appreciate it..........how did Yasmin work for you? I was prescribed that but never got on it cuz of all the side effects I read lol...............OTC is the devil, don't waste ur time!

You're welcome Jessica! Acne wise, once I hit the 4th month mark it worked, and as soon as I added Spiro, that really made me clear and my period very light. Yasmin had too many side effects for me though. Yes my face was nice, but I got tired of the gastric stomach aches that came along with and heartburn. Also, my hair was falling out and I was getting scared. :surprised: Yeah I think that's the only time I will ever try bcp's. I would rather stay on Spiro. :angel: