Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Imthorpedo

!!!!!!!!!For the College people

Has anyone felt like they didn't get the college experience they wanted because of the psychological effects of acne???

My skin started getting bad my jr. year. I had just transferred to my dream college, getting all sorts of attention from the ladies, and meeting really cool and accomplished people everyday.....and then my self image just went to hell and so did my last two years.... This happen to anyone else???

I had to drop out of college in the 2nd year because it ended up being soo bad. Lucky for me I was doing Art and nothing major.

I'm in my freshman year. Second quarter and no new friends. Still hang out with my old high school friends. It sucks I tell you...

Oh yeah. Going in I was expecting one large, drunken, orgy for 4 years (blame the Van Wilder movies :mad: ). I dropped out after a semester and I'm just starting back up again, but having acne makes any social situation 10x harder.

Edited by OntheRun

I don't meet a whole lot of people at my school (except in my major). I don't go to a university or anything, just a technical school it's a way different environment there, but I am having a hard time meeting women and when I do, I'm freaking out that they are looking at my acne! :doh:

I'm in the second half of my junior year right now and I have had an overall very positive college experience. I advise joining an organization or two on your campus. That is a very easy way to meet others of similar interests so the pressure is off procuring a topic of conversation and friendships form much easier over commonalities in my opinion.

Please don't let acne hold you back. Even when it was at it's worst, I made friends, I had a great time. I am not one who parties so I cannot tell you how that would work, but I have had an overall very positive experience, and if you let yourself, you can too. =)

Freshman and just transferred and haven't made any friends. It's really hard because girls don't want to hang out with ugly girls and guys don't want to be seen with them either, even if they have a good personality. Plus all this stressing out and feeling self conscious about washing my face in front of others is making me look worse.

Dropped out 1st year cuz of acne.

Now on Accutane and will probably go back to school when my skin is perfect again -- I'm giving myself 1 - 2 yrs to accomplish this.

I'm a junior at Florida State, have a lot of friends and go out and party a few times a week, but only when my acne isn't too bad as it usually gives me a couple new pimples the next day. Sometimes my acne goes through a one or two week period where I don't want to drink at all until it calms down a bit, and that's the only time I let acne get in the way of the experience.

I'm in the second half of my junior year right now and I have had an overall very positive college experience. I advise joining an organization or two on your campus. That is a very easy way to meet others of similar interests so the pressure is off procuring a topic of conversation and friendships form much easier over commonalities in my opinion.

Please don't let acne hold you back. Even when it was at it's worst, I made friends, I had a great time. I am not one who parties so I cannot tell you how that would work, but I have had an overall very positive experience, and if you let yourself, you can too. =)

I noticed you mentioned that you don't really party and if you don't mind me asking, what do you do? I've always wondered what people in college do at night if they don't go to the bars and stuff.

I'm a junior at Florida State, have a lot of friends and go out and party a few times a week, but only when my acne isn't too bad as it usually gives me a couple new pimples the next day. Sometimes my acne goes through a one or two week period where I don't want to drink at all until it calms down a bit, and that's the only time I let acne get in the way of the experience.

Dude This was my dillema Exactly.....I totally know what your talking about...I really missed out on the opportunity to develop really good friendships because of this....

@ OnTheRun

Man, I can totally relate. I thought college was gona be the exact same thing (thanks alot Van!). Humping, smoking and drinking my way thru the best yrs of my life. I did do this for one yr (which I failed and had to do again >:( but hell it was worth it!!)

College is tough though when you got crappy acne, I think alot of mine came about from just being stressed and smoking too much, and basically pi**ed off with the whole college experience i.e. not having a different chick every night lol! U guys know what I'm talkin bout.

In my final yr now (im 21) and im thinkin once I get out maybe hit up the accutane for a while.

Can't wait! :dance:

Mm I wouldn't say acne has held me back...but it does not help with my confidence in social situations.

I'm in my 3rd year, just figuring it all out and it's just been a boring ride, I haven't really made any new friends, which I honestly don't mind haha cuz [personally I think] making new friends is a lot of work, having to get to know someone all over, etc. College hasn't been this AMAZING experience TV and movies make it seem...

so far.

Edited by Geeking

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town

Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine

Staying home to watch the rain

You are young and life is long

And there is time to kill today

And then one day you find

Ten years have got behind you

No one told you when to run

You missed the starting gun

:whistle:

Don't let acne holds you back, guys.

Edited by Bolkonsky

I noticed you mentioned that you don't really party and if you don't mind me asking, what do you do? I've always wondered what people in college do at night if they don't go to the bars and stuff.

I think many people wonder this, and I genuinely like sharing all the fun I've had in college that does not include bars/clubs/alcohol. =)

I have many interests. Freshman year I applied for and became accepted into a leadership program, and from there, I gained a lot of community service, friends, and learned a lot of new leadership styles. That group provided a launching point into various other campus organizations, and I met both the student and faculty leaders in various departments. Three years later, I am still in the group and doing activities.

Other than that, I am a part of a collegiate scholar group where I am vice president of community affairs, so I coordinate a lot with the area to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, at the local homeless shelter, and with a no kill animal shelter. Those activities can be done without a group though, it just takes a phone call or an e-mail. I really encourage you to get involved because you can meet amazing people that way and there is a group for everyone, especially where volunteering is involved. Whether it is with Habitat, Big Brothers Big Sisters, The boys and girls club, Goodwill, the Salvation Army, animal shelters, environmental groups, or an hospital.

There is also the element of my faith which I found it very important to become involved in a group. This is applicable if you part of any faith or are simply curious. I guarantee you'd be welcome.

Other than all those activities, with my friends I do a lot of things. We tend to have "baking adventures" where we bake new recipes, usually make a mess, sometimes make messes on purpose, then eat the food afterwards. We tend to combine that with movie nights or boardgame nights. We favor word games such as Mad Gab, Catchphrase, Apples to Apples, and Taboo.

We also go to the movies, the mall, we attend plays (most of which are free, I strongly encourage you to check through your student activities board to see whta your school offers because mine offers a lot of free shows, even broadway shows!), comedy club on friday at times, operas, ballets, random student productions, and others. We also visit the park, go to the rec center, have picnics, generally frolick around, drive around in the car singing...everything and anything. Even side walk chalking and blowing bubbles.

I know this message was extraneously long but I really like to press upon people that there is so much more to college/university life if you just seek it out. Seize the wonderful opportunities because it goes by really quickly. <3

Second year of college and havent made any new friends. :( I dont go to uni either so yeah it's a totally experience...

It's not exactly like I put myself out there and try to come out of my shell (very shy, acne makes it 10x worse). I'm convinced I'm socially awkward. When I meet new people, I feel like I'm constantly being judged by the girls, and I sort of get the feeling they think I'm nuts. It's weird, I just feel...uneasy? Like I cant be myself. Out of the bunch I've met, I think only two of them sort of get me, you know? When I meet guys at school (when I'm forced to...), I feel much more relaxed. We instantly click, most of the time there is no awkwardness. I think guys are easier to get along with (for me, anyways). Unfortunately I havent met a lot of guys during my two years at college.

Maybe I'll transfer to the university of sex and beer (santa barbara). I hear that's a good place for a person to get socialized. :P

Edited by (._.)

God bless state schools =)

I think many people wonder this, and I genuinely like sharing all the fun I've had in college that does not include bars/clubs/alcohol. =)

I have many interests. Freshman year I applied for and became accepted into a leadership program, and from there, I gained a lot of community service, friends, and learned a lot of new leadership styles. That group provided a launching point into various other campus organizations, and I met both the student and faculty leaders in various departments. Three years later, I am still in the group and doing activities.

Other than that, I am a part of a collegiate scholar group where I am vice president of community affairs, so I coordinate a lot with the area to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, at the local homeless shelter, and with a no kill animal shelter. Those activities can be done without a group though, it just takes a phone call or an e-mail. I really encourage you to get involved because you can meet amazing people that way and there is a group for everyone, especially where volunteering is involved. Whether it is with Habitat, Big Brothers Big Sisters, The boys and girls club, Goodwill, the Salvation Army, animal shelters, environmental groups, or an hospital.

There is also the element of my faith which I found it very important to become involved in a group. This is applicable if you part of any faith or are simply curious. I guarantee you'd be welcome.

Other than all those activities, with my friends I do a lot of things. We tend to have "baking adventures" where we bake new recipes, usually make a mess, sometimes make messes on purpose, then eat the food afterwards. We tend to combine that with movie nights or boardgame nights. We favor word games such as Mad Gab, Catchphrase, Apples to Apples, and Taboo.

We also go to the movies, the mall, we attend plays (most of which are free, I strongly encourage you to check through your student activities board to see whta your school offers because mine offers a lot of free shows, even broadway shows!), comedy club on friday at times, operas, ballets, random student productions, and others. We also visit the park, go to the rec center, have picnics, generally frolick around, drive around in the car singing...everything and anything. Even side walk chalking and blowing bubbles.

I know this message was extraneously long but I really like to press upon people that there is so much more to college/university life if you just seek it out. Seize the wonderful opportunities because it goes by really quickly. <3

Well it sounds like you keep busy, lol. Yea I try to do stuff like that once in a while; sober spontaneous nights, just drive around and go somewhere with the roommates or something, and it usually ends up being a pretty fun night. I usually only suggest it if it is on a particular night where my acne is acting up a bit and don't want to be hassled into going out, but I still have a good time.

Freshman and just transferred and haven't made any friends. It's really hard because girls don't want to hang out with ugly girls and guys don't want to be seen with them either, even if they have a good personality. Plus all this stressing out and feeling self conscious about washing my face in front of others is making me look worse.

Hon, I know exactly how to it is to feel like you're "the ugly girl." I know how it is to feel like other girls don't like you because you're ugly and that guys will never be attracted to you. And OH JEEZ do I know how it is washing your face in a bathroom crammed with people and just wanting to disappear.

But please please please know that no matter what it feels like, the only person holding you back is yourself. I've known people who are far from what society deems attractive but are some of the most popular students around because of their personalities. And I've seen gorgeous girls make no friends because they simply don't believe in themselves. People can sense another's self-worth a mile away. If you go around believing that you're ugly and that no one will like being around you, that's how it will be.

I'm sure you are much prettier than you give yourself credit for. But even if you were a troll, you can make friends. I promise you can. If you don't believe in yourself, fake it. Eventually it will start being real.

Edited by Whirlwind18

I nearly failed my first semester at university because of acne (or at least, I like to blame it on acne...). I was too self conscious to go to lectures, and definitely too self conscious to go to tutorials (for those who don't know: These are smaller classes run by teaching assistants that help you learn the material). I was also too self conscious to go and stay in a dorm.

Meaning that I still have no friends after 2 years of being in university. No parties. No fun Friday/Saturday nights. Nothing.

Whats worse is that my skin isn't even that bad. I've just had acne for so long that I never developed any self confidence. Regardless though, I empathize with all of you out there who have had similar experiences.

I can't say that college has been a positive experience. I don't see the appeal at all. I can't really say that acne has made it any easier. Bah. Also, the fact that I live with a reincarnate of Joseph Stalin might be part of that.

I think one just needs to try and approach Uni/College with the lowest possible (social) expectations, viewing it just as a place to get a degree and start laying the foundations to a future career, and not as a 24/7 party place. Then you will be able to cherish the friends you will be making there (and trust me, people do see past acne when it comes to making friends). I won't deny that it is hard sometimes, I am at my first year and have felt slightly self conscious during lessons in the beginning, but when I started talking to different people it just went by itself and I have made some really close friends.

Let your personalities shine through, and make the best of it, acne notwithstanding!

Edited by mattio

Aw this thread makes me wish I was back in college. There is always so much going on on the average campus. Check out the list of stuff Kairasa has going on, without any Van Wilder style activity she is living it up! I was involved in sports clubs, went to drama soc events, comedy events, concerts, debates, (skipped lectures to drink copious amounts of tea with friends!!!) the possibilities are endless.

Try not to let acne hold you back, easier said than done of course, but people in uni dont care about acne, its all about being who you are, finding friends that you can be completely yourself with. I had a fantastic college experience and left with some very good friends, and those were the years my skin was at its worst.

Aw Id go back to uni in the morning if I could.... *sniffle*

I'm in my sophomore year of college. I haven't really made a whole lot of friends. But I have a few which is good enough. Acne has probably caused me to be awkward in certain situations, like on bad acne days I may shy away from people. Especially on days when I wear my glasses and have bad acne. I feel like a complete loser.