Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

What will you do differently when you have kids?

What do you plan on doing differently when you have kids? We've all learned so much about nutrition, health and the consequences of bad eating habits. I plan on raising my kids with a better diet in hopes of them not getting acne.

Things I plan to do differently with my children:

-- When we eat out, we'll eat at raw food restaurants or other healthy options.

-- I don't plan on introducing them to candy, soda, store-bought juice or processed foods like cakes and cookies.

-- I never plan on introducing them to McDonalds or BurgerKing or Wendy's. I know a lot of parents think that if a parent doesn't allow their kids to eat at those restaurants then it is like "child abuse" but that is their ignorance.

Of course, they'll eventually do what they want, but at least I'll give them a good start in life. ;)

Do you plan on doing things differently for your kids than how you were raised yourselves? Will you try to put them on a correct diet before they have acne?

Edited by Dotty1

i dunno, i mean your kids are going to find out about those things sooner or later and when they do they will be more likely to indulge in unhealthy eating habits if you are always trying to keep something away from. that's what happened to me and it took me a while to break out of my bad habits

if i ever have children i will educate them on what is healthy and what is not and let them decide for themselves, i will buy healthy food and encourage then to eat healthy but i will not forbid certain foods or become one of those "helicopter parents" who always has to be watching their children in case they accidentally consume a potato chip or stub their toe

My parents were health nuts from the start But me being the kid I am rebelled and ate junk food starting at Middle school. Everything was fine until junior high then....BAM! I stopped eating junk food (I try to avoid processed food as well) my senior year and things got a bit better (but not clear). Now its my freshman year of college and I am happy to say I am about90% clear. Except for those brown spots-grrrr. But yeah, IF I have kids I want to raise them to be healthy. That however, doesn't guarantee that they wont rebel and try stuff on their own.

One thing I still cant give up frozen yogurt though - I will continue to use that one as a "treat" :P Oh well at least it doesnt break me out.

Oh and one more thing, is there such thing as a 'raw food' restaurant? lol

My parents were health nuts from the start But me being the kid I am rebelled and ate junk food starting at Middle school. Everything was fine until junior high then....BAM! I stopped eating junk food (I try to avoid processed food as well) my senior year and things got a bit better (but not clear). Now its my freshman year of college and I am happy to say I am about90% clear. Except for those brown spots-grrrr. But yeah, IF I have kids I want to raise them to be healthy. That however, doesn't guarantee that they wont rebel and try stuff on their own.

One thing I still cant give up frozen yogurt though - I will continue to use that one as a "treat" :P Oh well at least it doesnt break me out.

Oh and one more thing, is there such thing as a 'raw food' restaurant? lol

Yes, raw food restaurants are becoming popular across the US. The great thing about raw food restaurants is that they are dairy free and gluten free.

In Boston, there are 3. In New York City, there are about ten. In California, there is a chain called "Cafe Gratitude." There is a raw food restaurant in almost every halfway large city now and about 10-15 in the big cities.

There are also raw food inns and hotels out in the countryside where you can take a weekend vacation.

Type into Google "Raw food restaurant YourCityName" to find one.

Also try "Raw Food Restaurant YourStateName."

Here is a small listing of them to start: http://www.soystache.com/raw-food-restaurants.htm

Edited by Dotty1

Gah, not much I can do from an acne perspective but hope that they don't get it from me.

But from a general point of view... I'll be everything to them that my parents aren't.

If I ever do have kids:

I would only allow them to eat healthy foods most of the week.

And then one day a week I would let them indulge into whatever they want.

Edited by dancedd

I'd bring them up healthy, so their tastebuds dislike junk food by the time they can pick food for themselves. Then if they're bad, i'll "punish" them by taking the broccoli off the plate and putting a sugary transfat infested cookie there instead. They'll hate it and grow up awesome and i'll let them do whatever they want. I'll make sure to live in a pollution free area, wont drink or smoke, and give them access to good quality organic food. The best way to lead is by example.

My mother gave me the worst advice on how to handle my acne when I started breaking out. She said to wash my face at least three times a day, pop all my pimples, and encouraged loading on the BP. It also never occurred to her that diet and acne are so closely related, I had to figure that out on my own. It took years before I figured out the right way to go about handling my skin. If I have kids, and they inherit my acne-prone genes, they'll at least benefit from my experience.

What do you plan on doing differently when you have kids? We've all learned so much about nutrition, health and the consequences of bad eating habits. I plan on raising my kids with a better diet in hopes of them not getting acne.

-- I don't plan on introducing them to candy, soda, store-bought juice or processed foods like cakes and cookies.

-- I never plan on introducing them to McDonalds or BurgerKing or Wendy's. I know a lot of parents think that if a parent doesn't allow their kids to eat at those restaurants then it is like "child abuse" but that is their ignorance.

Of course, they'll eventually do what they want, but at least I'll give them a good start in life. ;)

Do you plan on doing things differently for your kids than how you were raised yourselves? Will you try to put them on a correct diet before they have acne?

so what are you going to do when your child is invited to a friend's birthday party with cake and fizzy drinks? or your kids want to go trick or treating like the rest of the kids in the neighborhood? i guess it is easier said then done. there were so many times i said i was going to raise my kids differently then how my parents raised me. occasionally i scare myself every now and again because i catch my self saying or doing something exactly like my parents did and then the realization hits that maybe my parents might have known a thing or two.

anyways, i try to lead by example with my kids by eating healthy and offering healthy food choices for them at home and in their school lunches. but even that is getting harder with the peer pressure from mates at school. i try to educate them why some things are better then others, and hope that they will make the right choices eventually. i do not totally try to restrict them. treats are ok once in a while with me. you only get to live once.

so what are you going to do when your child is invited to a friend's birthday party with cake and fizzy drinks? or your kids want to go trick or treating like the rest of the kids in the neighborhood? i guess it is easier said then done. there were so many times i said i was going to raise my kids differently then how my parents raised me. occasionally i scare myself every now and again because i catch my self saying or doing something exactly like my parents did and then the realization hits that maybe my parents might have known a thing or two.

anyways, i try to lead by example with my kids by eating healthy and offering healthy food choices for them at home and in their school lunches. but even that is getting harder with the peer pressure from mates at school. i try to educate them why some things are better then others, and hope that they will make the right choices eventually. i do not totally try to restrict them. treats are ok once in a while with me. you only get to live once.

I'm assuming that my kids inherit my genes and are gluten-intolerant too. What does a parent do with a child who cannot eat candy on Halloween or birthday cake at other children's birthdays? I'll do my best by providing alternatives. I can make gluten-free cakes and raw creamy nut pies that are better than any traditional gluten-filled cake. My bf now asks me to make my raw cakes and we never purchase that flour-filled junky stuff.

So I'll do my best by offering alternatives.

I'm def. going to have them grow up eating healthy (organic as much as possible). No fast food. I will allow them to have healthy desserts like organic fudge pops, etc. The only time I will let them splurge on candy & junk food is when it's a special occasion like a birthday, party at school, halloween. Even then, I will try to make desserts & cakes as healthy as possible.. Who knows- by the time I have kids & they're in school all junk food may be made healthy. Also, the parents of their classmates also might be in to healthy eating. It gets more and more popular each yr. When my kids get to the adolescene stage & if they start breaking out I will inform them that eating healthy (especially leafy greens, spinach) will help clear their skin up. I will also have them take different supplements that have helped me (vitamin c, chlorophyll).

so what are you going to do when your child is invited to a friend's birthday party with cake and fizzy drinks? or your kids want to go trick or treating like the rest of the kids in the neighborhood?

That's alright because that's making these things rare treats, not daily snacks or meal replacements. And they probably won't like the sodas when they only have them rarely. They really are an acquired taste.

I stopped drinking soda 5 years ago and won't drink it now because I must get my mouth re-accustomed to that burning sensation of the carbonic acid.

As a 3-year-old, I remember that I could only take tiny TINY TINY sips of soda because I wasn't accustomed to the carbonic acid burning feeling. If my parents had not allowed me to get used to it then, I probably would have never started drinking soda on my own.

Edited by Dotty1