Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hellstorm

On a scale from 1-10, how would you rate your dermatologist?

and where are you from?

i would give him a 3.. he's so rude, doesn't know anything about acne, and dismissive. and he talks in broken english so i always have a hard time understanding him.

i'm from MA

you can also give the name of your derm. so we know who to stay away from! lol

Edited by hellstorm

9! She's great. She really understands my concerns and has worked with me over these many years. However I do find she rushes things a bit which I suppose comes from her being part of an HMO and having to work under their guidelines and scheduling constraints.

I'm in California.

I'm in San Francisco and I give my doc a 10, easily. I never understand people on this board who say they hate their dermatologist; why on earth would you keep being treated by someone you can't stand and probably have little faith in? I guess if you live in a small town and there might only be one practicing derm nearby, then you might be stuck, but I would imagine most of us have at least a few options.

After avoiding derms for years due to bad experiences, I finally went to a new one, and would rate her about a 7 from the first visit. She listened to my concerns and explained things pretty thoroughly, and also was conservative in her treatment recommendation instead of putting me on something that would beat the crap out of my skin like past derms did. She also gave me a huge doggie bag of free samples. :dance:

I'm from MA as well.

I have only really had two, and the first one was quite rude. He was the "here is a prescription" kind of dermatologist, who didn't care to sit down and talk to you. The worst part was, I strongly feel you have to be at a certain level of psychological development with your acne to be able to challenge your derm, and ask for more care than just a dismissive piece of paper. When I was 14 until about 17, I wasn't that type of person, my acne made me feel uncomfortable with even making eye contact.

Thankfully, when I was 18 he left, and I got a new dermatologist. She was willing to work with me, and while she wasn't very good, doing research on my own, I could recommend a line of treatment that has been working well for me for quite some time.

The key is to be assertive. I know how hard that can be, but strive to get to that place, and once your treatment is more in your hands, you'll feel happier. =)

I have had 2 derms, one I was with over the course of Ro-accutane (I'd rate him a 8) he seemed liked he cared abd threw me on the tabs as soon as.

My other derm (well he wasnt really another derm, since he was a replacement for 1 day) but he asked me a few questions and seem really concerned about my well being, being trapped in a hous for so long isnt well for anyone. I'd rate him a 9, I felt at ease with him for some reason?

Im from Liverpool, UK.

My current derm (i'm on my second month of accutane) is great, we get along really well. She explains everything and answers my questions thoroughly. The derms I've had in the past have been anywhere from 2-4. It seems to really piss some of them off if you question anything they do. It's next to impossible to bargain with them at all since they usually seem to have their specific protocol they have for every patient. So yeah, I'm happy with the derm I have now, but you have to schedule way in advance (over a month) to see a specific derm here so I didn't have her for my last check-up.

Chicago, USA (My derm visits are in the burbs though)

My dermatologist is great, she really spends time with me and answer every question. I never feel as though she is rushing, she also gives me very detailed information about certain skin problems.

London, UK.

Edited by tt2k
My current derm (i'm on my second month of accutane) is great, we get along really well. She explains everything and answers my questions thoroughly. The derms I've had in the past have been anywhere from 2-4. It seems to really piss some of them off if you question anything they do. It's next to impossible to bargain with them at all since they usually seem to have their specific protocol they have for every patient. So yeah, I'm happy with the derm I have now, but you have to schedule way in advance (over a month) to see a specific derm here so I didn't have her for my last check-up.

Chicago, USA (My derm visits are in the burbs though)

you're lucky, everytime i ask my derm a question he either ignores me or yells "WHAT!" then mumble in greek. how is accutane treating you?

That's a bummer. He could be cursing at you for all you know lol. It seems like most people in that profession have no people skills. With the accutane i'm not really seeing much improvement yet and i'm getting a little worried to be honest, but i'm only like 7 weeks into a 6 month course so there's still plenty of time for it to start working it's magic hopefully.

i'm so done with him, it's offical. i'm not seeing him again.

i've had it with derms, it seems like the majority of them don't know their stuff. i'm going to defeat this on my own. i know i can do it!

Monte Fox. I give him a 3. He's the -hands prescription- type. My sessions with him last about 5 minutes. He's always in a hurry, never explains anything, and is insensitive. I saw him this past Friday and straight up told him I stopped using his stuff because it wasn't helping me and changed my diet, which really helped clear me up. He was mad at me, of course..and told me diet has nothing to do with acne and mocked me for it the whole rest of the appointment. Oh, he also told me red marks take "forever" to fade, which put a knot in my throat. Wrong choice of words. Especially since my skin condition hurts me and I'm trying everything to fix it. We're looking for a naturopath, I want to leave him but will stay if there's nothing else..

Ohio

Monte Fox. I give him a 3. He's the -hands prescription- type. My sessions with him last about 5 minutes. He's always in a hurry, never explains anything, and is insensitive. I saw him this past Friday and straight up told him I stopped using his stuff because it wasn't helping me and changed my diet, which really helped clear me up. He was mad at me, of course..and told me diet has nothing to do with acne and mocked me for it the whole rest of the appointment. Oh, he also told me red marks take "forever" to fade, which put a knot in my throat. Wrong choice of words. Especially since my skin condition hurts me and I'm trying everything to fix it. We're looking for a naturopath, I want to leave him but will stay if there's nothing else..

Ohio

aw he sounds like a jerk. don't get discouraged, red marks don't take forever to fade.

have you ever tried aloe vera for your red marks? the real stuff from the plant

I mean, I don't have the plant itself but I have this..99% pure aloe stuff I got from Vitamin World.

oh well i guess that's good enough! BHA is also helpful in fading PIH ;)

Sadly my derm. who is so awesome is being transferred to the main hospital in the area. Hoping that my next one is good too, even though the derm. told me this new one has no experience with the medicine I'm on. Great...

I definitly give my derm a 10!!!! He always takes the time out to listen to all my concerns and is always so nice and pleasant :) Most derms ive been too have usually been in too much of a hurry to listen or even care about your saying but dr. sonabend is nothing like that so yes I give him a 10!!!

Is BHA better than AHA for fading?

yes someone told me that. im going to start using the zapzyt stuff and it has 2% SA with aloe and chamomile. many people said it made their skin tone look more even

I notice a frequent complaint is that the doctor stays with you for "Less than 10 minutes." While I too am sometimes annoyed at this, it might be worth giving a dermatologist a little slack because they DO have other patients to see, many of whom are probably on a tight schedule and can't afford to be left hanging around the waiting room.

I know some dermatologists really are just rude and discompassionate, but sometimes others are just plain busy. They're doctors, after all, so don't always take it personally.

Btw, has anyone ever talked to their derm about whether they themselves ever suffered from acne? I know mine did, and in the past so did her husband (also a doctor, in a different field), and that gave me quite a bit more confidence in her, because A) I know that she realizes and identifies with what the condition is like, and B) Her skin looks FANTASTIC these days, so I know she at least knows how to clear one person's skin up. And I always feel better about a particular treatment or drug when she prefaces it with "I had my husband try-". I figure if it had turned him purple and destroyed his liver, she probably wouldn't be recommending it to me.

Edited by TamLin

7.5/10

I live in California. He's a very helpful and kind dude. He doesn't seem like one of those derms that are just in it for the money and don't care about your skin. He could be a little better, but I still like him,