Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AG123

Know the Difference Between Vessels & Marks

Sometimes people have 'red marks' which last for nearly 2-3 years. These are probably not your ordinary marks where acne was. Normal marks or pigmentation should be fading at a decent rate especially with all the exfoliators and acids people on here use religiously.

All im saying is if your marks have been hanging around for more than a year without fading any significant amount then its probably dilated blood vessels. Usually in the cheeks they look like red marks -- but the treatment for pigmentation and vessels is totally different.

IF YOU PRESS DOWN ON YOUR SKIN AND LET GO IT WILL SEEM CLEAR FOR A FEW SECONDS.

AFTER IT WILL SEEM AS LOTS OF BLOOD IS RUSHING BACK TO THE SKIN MAKING IT RED AGAIN. These are blood vessels.

HOW TO TREAT PIGMENTATION

previous acne usually leaves behind the red marks everyone is so familar with, these could be slightly raised but most of the time are flat/smooth. This is COLOUR problem where the skin has slowly changed its pigment due to acne etc. The solution to this is what most people are trying, acids, exfoliation, lightening creams, dermabrasion etc. You want new skin to come out with no pigment problems ideally, or just fade the current colour problem so your back to your normal skin colour.

HOW TO TREAT DILATED OR BROKEN BLOOD VESSELS

Totally different. the problem is underneath the skin as demonstrated by doing that thing above with your hand pressing down and seeing blood rush back up. There are some creams like skin doctors capillary clear and loads of other vitamin K ones BUT the quickest, easiest and hands down best way to deal with blood vessels is the laser. The IPL laser shines a certain spectrum of light onto the vessels causing them to collapse/close immediately. BANG and the redness is all gone within a few days max, the laser is not abrasive and is the solution, not tons of topicals.

GO TO YOUR DERM AND FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE A PIGMENT PROBLEM OR BLOOD VESSEL PROBLEM

if i post a hi-def pic of my face will you guys be able to tell if i have this pigment problem?

lol HD, i'll try yeah but your derm is always your best option

to me it looks like you have active acne, so you need to deal with that first.

accutane will do a good job of clearing it up - speak to your dermatologist about going on it.

after you have finished that course, wait about 3-5 months until your skin has become less

sensitive again (if you dont you could do real damage as accutane makes it very sensitive).

so after 3-5months start doing treatments like most people on here, exfoliation, glycolic acids and peels to reduce all the redness and marks.

but go to to your derm to be 100% sure

I've suffered from redness/browness on the same spot for just over 2 years now and after reading your post I'm all but convinced it's a blood vessel issue. Thank you by the way.

I've tried the peels and whatnot and they've done nothing. I'd love to do IPL but I have olive skin and as I understand it, this isn't an option for me. I tried reading up on the most effective vitamin k creams but I'm not seeing very many reviews. Is there any cream or even special kind of laser you would advise for someone in my situation?