Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BenVsAcne

For anyone on some form of accutane in the UK!

Hey!

After trying dozens of over the counter products, as well as being prescribed 5-6 antibiotics and 2 topicals and having none of which that worked, I was referred to a dermatologist by my doctor. I have an appointment in just over a week. I was wondering, how does the process work? How long did it take for you to get on accutane once you'd seen your dermatologist? More importantly, I think I read that you need a blood test before (as well as during) taking accutane- would a regular blood test be good (I had one for another antibiotic around 4 weeks ago) or would the dermatologist want a new one taken?

Alot of questions, but any answers or more general info would be great!!!

Thanks

Hi ben, i got prescribed isotretinoin a week ago from my derm here in the UK so your experience will be the same as mine most likely.

I went for a 10:30 appointment, its the nhs so didnt get seen till' 11. Got weighed by the nurse before i went in then had a quick 5min talk with the derm who will touch your face a little lol then she gives you two leaflets about the drug and prescribed it me, personally no problem after i told her of my struggle and past anti-biotic use. She gave me a form to go get my bloods next door and gave me another appointment for in 4wks (assuming i took the drug) for a check up.

She sent me off to get the drug but it takes around 30min-1hr for the pharmacy to get it ready so i went for my blood test while i waited which i had to sit around for anyway. After the test I got the drug from the hospital pharmacy and went home. (All this took the whole morning 10am-1pm).

I then called the derm on the card she gave me for my blood test results at 4pm and they gave me the all clear to start though it took me a further week to decide i was happy to take the drug after reading up all the possible side effects. (If you do the same as me, make sure you call the hospital to reschedule your appointment so its 4wks from when you take the first pill).

Once your at my stage you have to go to the hospitals dermatology clinic which is usually in the out-patients ward every 4wks to talk with your derm and have blood tests to make sure your liver and everything is ok.

Good luck :)

ps. They say to take a urine sample but i didnt ;)

Thanks for the reply- this is pretty much EXACTLY what I needed :D!

I've read up a tonne over the side effects, but I think I'll be fine :)- as my Dad said, if you read and believe in all the possible side effects, you nor ANYONE e;se would ever take the drug- and it seems for every bad case there's many many more success stories :)

Thanks again, and good luck with it!!!

Hey Matt, I was wondering if the dermotologist gave a warning about alcohol consumption.

I live in the UK and have an appointment with a dermotologist about the possibility of roaccutane. I'm 18 and the only thing that could sway me away from the drug would be this no alcohol stuff, did your derm say anything?

Thanks

Your completely right about the side effects ben. Just look at a box of paracetamol, the list of possible effects is ridiculous for a drug millions of people take every day. As aspirin box actually states states that it may cause stroke or heart attack though funnily heart attacks are the things they are supposed to prevent. These companies have to cover there own backs legally but that doesnt mean the side effects may not happen in rare cases. Just be aware of your own body and have all your blood tests done properly with your derm. Dont suffer if your acne really bothers you :)

Re:Ibiotech

Alcohol was mentioned by my derm and on the leaflet. Isotretioin is essentially a poison for your liver so its working over-time as it is to clear your body. Blood tests are taken for this reason to make sure your liver can handle it throughout the treatment but drinking alcohol would be idiotic whilst the liver is already struggling. You risk being brought of the drug and even worse, cause serious internal damage.

Not saying this is you, but if a person hasnt got the dedication to keep away from alcohol for 6 months they shouldnt be on the course in my opinion. This is still a serious drug, dont throw petrol on a fire. :)

Hi Ben - I think we spoke on another forum a while ago re Isotrex gel??

Well it didn't work (surprise surprise) so after 12 weeks on the Isotrex I have today been prescribed roaccutane :-)

I saw the dermatologist at 3pm and after blood test, urine sample (by the way they only urine test women so they can take a pregnancy test!) and a short discussion about the side effects, I was home with my first month of roaccutane by 5pm.

I have been started on a very low dose as my acne is only mild (I am however 26 and have been on various treatments for about 15 years, so yes I do need roaccutane) - I am a little concerned that such a low dose won't be effective but we have to trust the experts don't we...

My advice is photograph your acne at its worse and take those photos with you when you see the dermatologist - that way they have all the evidence they need to start you on Roaccutane straight away and you don't have the risk of having a 'good skin day' on the day of your appointment and your skin not looking bad enough for the treatment..!

Once on Roaccutane, you will need to visit your dermatologist every month-2 months (depending on the dose you are on) for blood tests and to have your progress checked.

Will keep you posted on my Roaccutane journey

Rebecca x

Well it didn't work (surprise surprise) so after 12 weeks on the Isotrex I have today been prescribed roaccutane :-)

I saw the dermatologist at 3pm and after blood test, urine sample (by the way they only urine test women so they can take a pregnancy test!) and a short discussion about the side effects, I was home with my first month of roaccutane by 5pm.

I have been started on a very low dose as my acne is only mild (I am however 26 and have been on various treatments for about 15 years, so yes I do need roaccutane) - I am a little concerned that such a low dose won't be effective but we have to trust the experts don't we...

My advice is photograph your acne at its worse and take those photos with you when you see the dermatologist - that way they have all the evidence they need to start you on Roaccutane straight away and you don't have the risk of having a 'good skin day' on the day of your appointment and your skin not looking bad enough for the treatment..!

Once on Roaccutane, you will need to visit your dermatologist every month-2 months (depending on the dose you are on) for blood tests and to have your progress checked.

Rebecca x

Hey

Yeah isotrex turned out to be a bit poo really! Worked well at first for me but just irritated my skin i found, was better for stopping it. I'm seeing the derm in a week, quite excited! My skin is pretty bad atm so don't think there should be any risk of not being prescribed the stuff :) Just hope that I don't have to go on a massively high dose (don't want to go over 100mg!!!). Fingers crossed I'll get starterd on 60 or 80.

Cheers for the help and advice and everything, hope it goes well for ye! :)

And ta to anyone else that posted on here with help! Appreciated!

Rebecca x

Hey

Yeah isotrex turned out to be a bit poo really! Worked well at first for me but just irritated my skin i found, was better for stopping it. I'm seeing the derm in a week, quite excited! My skin is pretty bad atm so don't think there should be any risk of not being prescribed the stuff :) Just hope that I don't have to go on a massively high dose (don't want to go over 100mg!!!). Fingers crossed I'll get starterd on 60 or 80.

Hi, I had been prescribed Ro-accutane 2 years ago by my derm, he looked at me and basically threw me on the highest doses as soon as, so ya can picture what I must of been like.

I have said over n over again that without Ro-accutane, I dont think Id be here today (I kno it sounds bad) but for me its a lifsaver.

Anyways I hope it all goes well for ya

Rebecca x

Hey

Hi, I had been prescribed Ro-accutane 2 years ago by my derm, he looked at me and basically threw me on the highest doses as soon as, so ya can picture what I must of been like.

I have said over n over again that without Ro-accutane, I dont think Id be here today (I kno it sounds bad) but for me its a lifsaver.

Anyways I hope it all goes well for ya

cheers! :)

just wondering, did the red marks fade over time whilst on accutane for you? my acne is probably 'moderate' on my face (with alot of red marks, ALOT :D) and moderately severe on my jawline. Im worried that i'll get rid of my acne and then me left with a load of red marks!

Thanks in advance :) and sorry for all the questions!

Hi guys, I have my first dermatologist consultation in exactly two weeks. Obviously I am hoping he is going to prescribe me Roaccutane. My appointment isn't at a hospital though it is at a local health centre although I will be seen by a consultant dermatologist. And it's at 4:50pm which I thought was a kind of weird time..

Anyway I'm just wondering what to expect. At the moment I am on 100mg Doxycyline per day and have been for around 4 months, but it has had very limited effect. I tried Oxytetracycline and Erythromycin as well with no results. Plus I want to come off antibiotics anyway as being on them for a long period of time makes me uneasy. I have tried many prescription topicals also but to no effect.

I'm just wondering what my chances are of getting on Roaccutane? Will the derm suggest it/bring it up? I'm 22 and have been dealing with persistent acne for 10 years.

I was reading this site roaccutane and then I found this:

"Why Go Private with botonics for Roaccutane (Accutane)?

Getting a referral from a GP and waiting to see an NHS Dermatologist can take 6 months or more. While it may be cheaper, what is the value to you of enjoying those 6 months free of embarrassing adult acne that saps your confidence and self-esteem? At botonics, no GP referral is required and you are in charge of the pace of your Roaccutane (Accutane) treatment."

Does it really take that long...? I'll soon move to London, I got moderate acne and I was wondering if I go private or not.

hey :)

@ joeshep

There is a strong chance you can/will be prescribed roaccutane due to the fact your 22 and had it for 10 years. I'm 20 and have had some degree of acne for 6 years now (although in my early teens it was neglibile)- the only hurdle you might come across is that you haven't tried other antibiotics- but fingers crossed shouldn't matter anyway :)

@ bolkonsky

My doctor said they'd refer me to a derm about a week before christmas. About 2 weeks in to January, i got a letter telling me to pick an appointment date. The earliest date I could pick was around 7 weeks from when i receive the letter- so all in all, it took around 10 weeks. I'd really reccomend sticking to nhs- UNLESS you have a fair bit of money (accutane courses on private tend to run in to the 1000's, wont spend over £60 on the nhs for the same product), are desperate to start in the next 2 weeks, or you don' think a nhs derm will prescribe you accutane (privately your more likely to be prescribed it, and you wouldn't of had to of taken all the regular antibiotics that nhs has to offer).

Hope this helps! I'll probably be starting one of those log things once i start next week so keep an eye out for that :)

I'm no expert on this stuff but lemme know if there's anything else!

Thank you for the answer, Ben. I was wondering... I've got acne since I was 11 and now I'm 21. I've already tried all kind of stuffs and I still have acne but its mild/moderate. Do you think I have a good chance in getting Roaccutane (NHS)?

How much does Roaccutane cost (not the whole treatment, just the product)? I weigh 79kg/11 stones.

Thank you for the answer, Ben. I was wondering... I've got acne since I was 11 and now I'm 21. I've already tried all kind of stuffs and I still have acne but its mild/moderate. Do you think I have a good chance in getting Roaccutane (NHS)?

How much does Roaccutane cost (not the whole treatment, just the product)? I weigh 79kg/11 stones.

Maybe. I had a quick chat with my doctor saying all the antibiotics I had tried. That might be the first step- in all likelyhood if you go to your gp and say something along the lines of 'I've tried pretty much every antibiotic available & countless over the counter products and nothing has worked, can i be referred to a dermatologist to discuss accutane?' then it should be fine :). Obviously booking up with a GP will take a week odd depending on where you are.

But yep I'm pretty sure you have a chance of being prescribed even if it's mild/moderate, as long as it's persistent AND you've tried all the main antibiotics (eryhromycin, doxycyclin, minocyclin, tetracyclin, trimethoprim - might be missing one or two!) and topics likes retin-a/benzoyl peroxide. If you haven't tried pretty much all of them, thenit may be an issue- especially due to you have such a light severity of acne. BP in particular has worked wonders for people with lighter acne- so if you haven't tried it definately try that!

NHS prescriptions cost around £7.50 (I think?) no matter what the item. One of the reason the NHS doesn't like prescribing accutane is as it's so expesive for them. I'm pretty sure you get a month's worth of roacctuane so it'd cost around £50 for the whole course. The dosage prescribed won't alter the price as well :)

Anyways in short. You do have a chance of being prescribed roacctuane but it's not a certainty. ONLY go private if it's desperately ruining your life and you have plenty of money- it'll cost so much more!

Hope that helps :)

Edited by BenVsAcne