Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esessa

How long does diet usually influence acne?

Hey everyone,

I'm a 22 year old male, and I have mild to moderate acne. I noticed that if I stick to a diet strictly of poultry, beef/steak, and vegetables (excluding the ones with lots of sugar), I am in pretty decent shape. I stay away from wheat, dairy, sugar, corn, and most of the other known acne-causing foods. I was wondering, how long do you think until I will be able to get back to eating a diet of more variety? Since acne subsides for most in their mid-twenties, do you think I'll probably be on this diet for only maybe a few more years? Do you recommend that I slowly introduce more foods into my diet to test them out? I would really like to be able to eat what I would like again, and I just don't want it to manifest itself in the form of acne.

Yea, I mean I've searched through alot of these forums, and alot of people talk about the intolerances they have. I guess I'm more or less curious as to how old alot of people here are. I notice most adults in their mid to late 20s and up can eat anything and it affects their weight/cholesteral and other internal factors rather than their skin.

I'm the same as you 23 year old male with moderate acne.

I would like to learn more about food and nutrition

i even started a topic about vitamins. hope to learn more

because i'm clueless on this subject to be honest.

I don't think some of us will ever be able to return to the standard American diet.

When you say you 'avoid wheat' - do you mean that you avoid gluten even in its trace amounts? In the toothpaste, in the vitamins, medication and even as a once a month snack?

If you happen to be gluten sensitive, getting even traces of gluten in a diet will cause the body to be malnourished, lowering the production of stomach acid and therefore causing various sensitivities to foods that would otherwise be considered safe. A gluten sensitivity also causes the body to be sensitive to sugar spikes.

Edited by Dotty1

When I say I avoid wheat, I mean just in terms of the foods that contain wheats and grains i.e. cereal, bread, pasta, flour-based foods, the usual things that contain wheat. Essentially, I just eat various types of beef, poultry, and vegetables.

yes add foods back it, and see how you go. monitor everything.

i got told by a nutritionist that food takes 4 days to pass through your intestines. so what you put in will take 4 days to go through and so you need to pay attention to what your putting in,

That varies and you'll have to figure it out for yourself. You may be intolerant to wheat, dairy, etc and may always need to avoid them. And if not, you should still limit them. Same with sugar and processed foods. They should not be a big part of anyone's diet.

Your clearer skin may be just as much because you are eating real food with nutrients rather than typical crappy nutritionally void processed foods as it is because you are avoiding an 'acne causing food.'

i got told by a nutritionist that food takes 4 days to pass through your intestines. so what you put in will take 4 days to go through and so you need to pay attention to what your putting in,

really? Thats not right i think. If you drink/eat something it costs maximum of 2-3hours to have empty stomach. I really wonder if the food is in your gut for 4days. Thats really long. I have the feeling that its more like 24hours.

Also the food gets absorbed faster as it is pooped out. When you take something it usally takes 30min for effect. So i guess its not that much for the effect. When i eat something i see the small pimples the next day. That is because they take time to form. The cysts come later because they take more time to form. Not because the food takes that much time to get absorbed

With me its:

24h: small red acne. Sometimes no whitehead on it. And no red mark afterwards. (1mm and smaller)

24-48h: bigger acne , usally big whiteheads.

48-96h: cysts, painfull whiteheads, forming painfull underskin big hard acne , weird place acne

and after that no big new breakouts, so usally i just check for the small red acne because its easier to say what food it got triggered by. I got for 2-3days now. And that fits perfectly with my diet ive been having. (really bad)

Intolerance make your acne seem to pop up right away... I was actually thinking about this last night. It takes about 3 weeks to form before we actually see it but the intolerance bring it up a lot faster because of the way it reacts to your body.. not too sure about just "bad food" though, probably not the same 3 weeks :think:

I believe the nutritionalist was referring to meat. Meat stays in the intestines up to five days. Fruits and vegetables pass through within 24 hours.

Professional runners are asked to not eat meat five days before their competitions.

Edited by Dotty1

Yea, but most adults eat all types of food and get away with maintaining clear skin. My dad, for instance, said that whenever he ate chocolate when he was younger, he would get a pimple. Now, unless he eats massive and massive amounts of it, he doesn't have a problem. I guess my question is, for males, when do most of us reach that point where what we eat doesn't influence it, unless we of course overly-indulge ourselves.

Mine too. Except, he has numerous health issues, gets fatigued extremely easily, and doesn't have a hair left on his head. Is that better than acne?

Yea, but most adults eat all types of food and get away with maintaining clear skin.

So do many teenagers. They aren't acne prone.

I guess my question is, for males, when do most of us reach that point where what we eat doesn't influence it, unless we of course overly-indulge ourselves.

It always influences it, just like it influences diabetes, heart disease, blood pressure and all kinds of degenerative conditions you could prevent by eating right. But there are many factors that may change as you age that make you less acne prone.

Yes, it depends on genes. I know a family who lives to be 105 years on average and they still eat saltine crackers in milk every single day because their "mama" told them it was good for them.

If I ate saltine crackers in milk everyday I would be probably have a lot more problems than acne.

It is definitely about genes. But environment activates the genes.

Edited by Dotty1

I understand that whatever you eat affects your body...that's a fact, and I'm definitely not contending that point. I'm saying when does what you eat usually stop manifesting itself in the form of acne. Yes, alot of male adults have alot of problems due to eating poorly, but acne is rarely one of them.

Edited by esessa

Hey, I just thought I'd bump this thread. When did you notice that most people's acne subsides, regardless of diet? I see adults eating dairy, sugar, and wheat all the time, and very rarely do they appear to have breakouts. Any thoughts?

Hey, I just thought I'd bump this thread. When did you notice that most people's acne subsides, regardless of diet? I see adults eating dairy, sugar, and wheat all the time, and very rarely do they appear to have breakouts. Any thoughts?

Well think about it, when someone says "acne is caused by hormones", they are in a way right. They don't however say, well hormonal fluctuations/surges etc are largely influenced by foods. But we know this to the case. For those of us who are younger (<25 yrs) we have some pretty raging hormones that are easily perturbed by eating crappy foods, high glycemic etc. That's why diet can be so influential on acne, granted that the person still has the predisposition for all the other things, i.e. abnormal skin shedding, sebum whatever. I imagine there is a certain age you reach where although you maybe be technically triggering the same sort of hormonal reaction, there just isn't as many free hormones to cause that cascade. Wrap your head around that for a minute.

Now a days, what I bet causes more cases of adult acne esp. women is hormonal problems caused by environmental factors, i.e. endocrine disrupting chemicals, xenoestrogenic compounds in pesticides, and such. But then again it always comes down to your genetic predisposition. One person might be exposed to something ad get acne, the other gets breast cancer.