Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How does having acne affect the way you see look at other people's complexions?

Personally, I have a couple of different mindsets, and I'm not really proud of any of them. When I see another person with acne, I of course feel bad and empathize with them, but secretly I'm also relieved, since it bolsters my confidence to see I'm not alone. I realize that I shouldn't be happy that someone else has a problem, but I can't help it. Even worse is when I see someone whose skin looks terrible compared to mine; I practically jump for joy, and at the same time feel awful about it.

Often I'll look at another person with acne and make an assessment; "That's pretty bad, but he/she is still good looking anyway." I have little difficulty seeing past other people's skin problems to assess their overall appearance. I wonder, does this mean that my own acne is not as bad as I think it is, that other people can still consider me good looking in spite of it, or do I only feel this way because I'm an acne sufferer?

On the other hand, when I see people with perfect skin, my reaction is powerful and immediate; I hate them. This is unfair and rather unpleasant for me to go through, but I can't help it. Acne has made me a very unkind critic of my fellow man; when I see someone with nice skin, I look long and hard at their appearance trying to find something, ANYthing that I can interpret as being ugly about them, be it just the cast of their features, their weight, their height, their clothes, their hair, ANYthing that makes them unattractive in my eyes so that I won't envy their complexion. If I can't find anything, then I hate them even more vehemently. Again, I wish I didn't feel this way, but I can't seem to suppress the reaction.

I know what you mean.

The worst thing is when you see people you know have bad skin and feeling bad for them. But when their skin clears up and your stuck with the same old acne cycle you start to hold a grudge against them.

Acne messes with your mind :wall:

I don't hate people with good skin in the slightest really :)

I often compare how bad my acne is to other people who have spots though :D- often ending in tragedy! I had a friend who did have worse acne than me, but now mines got worse and his got better. THAT was pretty hard to take, especially when he even had acne it barely effected him. ARGH!

Hm, so is anyone else like me debating whether it's really easy for people to "Look past" acne or whether that's only easy for people with skin problems? \

Hm, so is anyone else like me debating whether it's really easy for people to "Look past" acne or whether that's only easy for people with skin problems? \
It depends on the severity of the acne and how the person with the acne acts because of it. If you are confident with mild or moderate acne, I think people with "perfect" skin really do look past your acne for the most part, at least once you're out of high school. Severe acne is harder to ignore, but I've seen people with severe acne and scars who have a ton of clear-skinned friends because their positive attitude makes them attractive.

I think that like anyone who has had a problem with a specific part of their physical body, you will notice that on another person first. It is the same for those who have weight issues, I know they notice body types and things first, and I never ever notice.

I do notice if a person has acne or not, but I don't have any feelings towards their acne or lack thereof. I have reached a place of neutrality. I simply categorize the fact like I do everything else about outward appearance and move on.

How does having acne affect the way you see look at other people's complexions?

Personally, I have a couple of different mindsets, and I'm not really proud of any of them. When I see another person with acne, I of course feel bad and empathize with them, but secretly I'm also relieved, since it bolsters my confidence to see I'm not alone. I realize that I shouldn't be happy that someone else has a problem, but I can't help it. Even worse is when I see someone whose skin looks terrible compared to mine; I practically jump for joy, and at the same time feel awful about it.

Often I'll look at another person with acne and make an assessment; "That's pretty bad, but he/she is still good looking anyway." I have little difficulty seeing past other people's skin problems to assess their overall appearance. I wonder, does this mean that my own acne is not as bad as I think it is, that other people can still consider me good looking in spite of it, or do I only feel this way because I'm an acne sufferer?

On the other hand, when I see people with perfect skin, my reaction is powerful and immediate; I hate them. This is unfair and rather unpleasant for me to go through, but I can't help it. Acne has made me a very unkind critic of my fellow man; when I see someone with nice skin, I look long and hard at their appearance trying to find something, ANYthing that I can interpret as being ugly about them, be it just the cast of their features, their weight, their height, their clothes, their hair, ANYthing that makes them unattractive in my eyes so that I won't envy their complexion. If I can't find anything, then I hate them even more vehemently. Again, I wish I didn't feel this way, but I can't seem to suppress the reaction.

i think it's natural to do that. i saw my friend a few days ago (i didn't see her for a few months) and she had huge zits on her cheeks. it made me feel 100x better about my skin.. horrible i know

haha wow, i'm the exact same way. i too resent people with beautiful skin. it sucks for me especially because i am an acne sufferer but my brother has beautiful skin! where the hell is his acne?! i love him of course but i really resent the fact that he got all the good skin genes. :(

i know, i always resent people with perfect skin!

but if we keep being persistent and having hope, well soon be laughing above them :)

but i am happy at times because a lot of my friends faces have broken out alot, but thats because i think they use proactiv (not the bestttt in my opinion) and my face keeps getting better :dance:

On the other hand, when I see people with perfect skin, my reaction is powerful and immediate; I hate them.

I love this sentence because the same exact thought goes through my mind constantly. I'm horribly psychologically affected by my skin. I feel incredibly alone because of the majority around me is clear..My best friend is perfectly clear, and it really hurts to look at her. And it hurts her to know she hurts me in any sense..And I think those words also because I can't stand the ignorance. I hate people for not knowing what it's like to suffer as we do. I hate not knowing what it's like to be clear. I can't stand the all around ignorance and misunderstanding that none of us can do anything about. When I see people with acne, I feel comfortable around them. I can look at them. I don't feel alone. The eyes of the clear hurt me, and I can't take being on the other side of this...wall of misunderstanding forever. It's eating me alive.

I feel particularly guilty lately because all of my coworkers are breaking out like mad and I'm taking secret pleasure in it, which is rather cruel. In the past it was always the opposite; my skin looked awful and everyone I worked with was gorgeous, but lately my skin has improved a bit and everyone else's has gone to hell. I would be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it a little.

I saw some girl on the train with really bad under the skin spots but all over her face the other day, poor girl had tried to cover it up with makeup but it still didnt look covered...I felt really bad for staring but i felt secretley relieved to see somebody else with it slightly worse than me :(

I was going to post in the 'you know it's bad when' thread but this one relates to me more. Well they're both equal.

I really do feel like doing voodoo on people with good skin, especially if they're pigging out on Mcdonalds or something. You try so hard to be healthy, and you have this condition, whilst others don't care about their bodies and look perfect.

I know it's bad, but it's human to look at someone that has the same problem as you, often worse off than yourself, and although you empathise with them - you feel relieved.

Sucks.

Cest la vie.

I hopefully start accutane next week.

I was just sitting here daydreaming about having clear skin, and I suddenly came over sort of guilty!

Im one of those people who, if for example, I am talking to a friend of mine who is short (and possibly self concious), I'll often very subtly crouch, maybe bend my knee very slightly, so that i'll be about the same height as him. He never notices im doing this.

When I look at people with clear skin, i dont really hate them or wish they had acne. I tend to just stare and feel a little confiused! Why on earth is their skin flawless and I get greeted with new acne every day!!? what it going on inside my body??!

When I get clear skin(fingeres crossed Mr accutane), i'll probably feel even worse about other people struggling with acne.

Its been so long since I've had clear skin that when I see someone with clear skin im like "How is that even possible?" Im just so jealous and I wonder if my skin will ever clear up. When I see someone with super clear skin I don't get mad at them, I get mad at myself and my situation. Even my siblings have clear skin and that really gets me mad. Why not them? Why am I the one who spends hours taking care of my skin just to get more pimples? I know some people with perfect skin that are real jerks and I almost wish they would get acne. It isn't fair that I try to be a good person and I'm the one with the skin problem

Edited by soxfan24

Yep, it's kinda like an obsessesion for me now. Everytime I turn on the TV or watch a movie, the first thing I notice is how perfect peoples skin is. Then I feel sad :[ Haha.

To be totally honest:

When I see someone with a worse complexion than mine, or when I see people who usually have clear skin breaking out, I feel glad. Not because I seriously wish them ill, but I just want to feel like I'm not alone in this acne hell.

When I see people with flawless skin, I get three reactions, sometimes all at once. 1) Jealousy. 2) Anger. 3) Self-loathing. Sometimes it hurts the most when I see my own brother's face. He has perfect skin. Smooth, clear, no pores visible at ALL, and with a healthy rosiness. When I see his skin, it just reminds me of how genes can be so cruel sometimes. Why does HE get the good-skin genes, and not me?

So yeah. But luckily for me, I don't dwell very long in my horrid moods. Otherwise, I'll probably in depression all the time!

So, my roommate has perfect skin. Absolutely incredible, no acne, barely visible pores, just beautiful skin..... She does nothing at all, she doesn't do anything in regards to her physical appearance at all... hell, she hardly bathes or washes her clothes, and is a general slob.... yet I have the awful skin. I'm so jealous and envious of her position... She'll never know how terrible this feels to not be able to roll out of bed and go places, but having to spend hours preparing to leave to look half-way decent (I apply face makeup, take it off, reapply, take it off.... until it looks okay.... ughh)

Ha, last night she had some mac and cheese, her favorite food is cheese sandwiches (Swiss, provolone and mozerella) with mayo...... She has a jar full of chocolate balls on her desk which she munches on constantly, our fridge is full of creamsicles and beer right now... She eats terribly, really. It's not her diet