Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
st_patrick

NOT AGAIN! ACNE HELL.

I get white heads in the dozen at a time and 2-3 red ones that hurt every other week. When i look at my skin closely in the mirror it doesn't look smooth at all and i can see dead skin cells all around my nose and forehead. Everytime I clear out a pimple I get 3 more somewhere else................. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my Regime right now. Help me add or change it. I'm open for anything

Morning:

Shower

Use Proactiv

Use Proactiv Toner (Every other day I switch the toner with Paula's BHA Liquid instead)

Lightly put on Cerave Cream

Evening:

Shower

Use Proactiv Toner (Every other day I switch the toner with Paula's BHA Liquid instead)

A few days a week I use Dan's BP Gel (I hate it, it's cold, slimy and gunks up)

I'm thinking about using the "Asprin" mask 2x a week?

My skin seriously sucks. I have red dots all over with nasty texture. Oh btw it gets greasy too. FML

Btw.. is it bad to wash your face after you shower? Someone told me it irritates the skin. I dont even put my face near the shower head unless i'm shampooing.

Edited by st_patrick

I'm on accutane now, but used to use Proactive. Nothing seemed to work for me, but Proactive really helped my sister. If it doesnt seem to be working for you, maybe try switching to something else? Things aren't always as good as commercials make them seem. It also depends on your skin type and I don't think it's bad to wash your face after a shower.

I didn't read the entire post but as soon as I saw proactiv I decided to post.. that's your problem right there. Remove all proactiv products, switch to a gentle cleaner with no active ingredient, your paula's stuff seems to be popular so stick with that, and just use dan's gel once a day. You seem to be rather inconsistent with your regimen so do the same thing every single day. You are also probably aggravating your current condition, the proactiv already has BP in it, so you shouldnt be using two different BP products. Like I said, just cut out all the proactive products, there is no need for that garbage toner.

Edited by callmeamack

I didn't read the entire post but as soon as I saw proactiv I decided to post.. that's your problem right there. Remove all proactiv products, switch to a gentle cleaner with no active ingredient, your paula's stuff seems to be popular so stick with that, and just use dan's gel once a day. You seem to be rather inconsistent with your regimen so do the same thing every single day. You are also probably aggravating your current condition, the proactiv already has BP in it, so you shouldnt be using two different BP products. Like I said, just cut out all the proactive products, there is no need for that garbage toner.

I hate the gel with a passion, but I'll just use it. What kind of mild cleanser do you recommend?

So if I listen to you...

Wash with mild cleanser.

Use Paula's BHA

Dan's BP Gel

& Cerave Moister Cream.

Proactiv SUCKS ASS. I started seeing results after 3 yrs and it's inconsistent.

ok iam gonna make this short dont use proactive you can use the bp lotion but not the cleanser & toner its too irritateing and I DISLIKE PROACTIVE because it doesnt work. Just use dans regamine and youll clear up and dont use so many different products everytime i got dispreit and used random products i broke out badly.

I would recommend cetaphil gentle cleanser, from what I've read on here it's pretty much 50/50 on either the liquid which is extremely gentle but gives almost no lather, or the bar from (which I prefer and currently use) which gives a great lather but some say it's a bit drying, and I can say as long as you wash with warm water, not hot and only wash for 10-15 seconds its not drying. Other people like purpose bar or gel, I ALMOST bought this product a couple weeks ago just to try it out but ended up like buying the cetaphil again, so I can't comment on this product.

So.. I would use the wash 2x per day, morning and night. Use Dan's in the morning, 1x per day but eventually try bumping that up to 2x per day after a couple weeks, and then use the BHA every OTHER day at night time, preferably 10-15 minutes after you wash/apply BP if at that point you're doing it 2x per day. As far as your moisturizer I would assume just keep using it how you're currently using it, 2x per day or "as needed".

Edited by callmeamack

I was a proactiv user myself and I found that sometimes the products were so irritating, that some days I would be like, "well.. I feel kind of dry now, or my face feels sensitive, so maybe I'll just use the wash today, or hmm maybe I'll skip the toner and go straight to the lotion. And now, looking back this was the wrong thing to do more than likely. But overall, proactive worked rather well to begin with but then lost its effectiveness and then became overly drying and made my face look red and unhealthy.

So.. with this new regimen you're trying or any future regimen, just remember consistency is KEY.

As far as you're washing your face, AFTER getting out of the shower, I would say go ahead and start washing it in the shower, especially if you start using the cetaphil(bar form). I know why you probably washing after the shower with the proactiv, because it doesn't quite feel like the proactiv cleanser is cleaning good enough in the shower because it seems too almost rinse off on contact, right?

I only shower once per day, so I wash in the shower in the morning and wash in the sink at night. I would say you were probably making your face dryer as a result even though you said your face wasn't directly in the water stream.

Edited by callmeamack

I think the best thing to do is not go look for a fast cure because you end up using a bunch of products and irritating your face that way. I kinda gave up recently and just started washing my face with cetaphil gentle daily cleanser or something like that, and some of my pimples are shrinking. It's crazy cause I was breaking out with new pimples everyday, but now it's going down. Just have to be patient.

I'm going to buy the cetaphil bar you recommended. I hate their lotion too, greasy and makes me break out. Everyone's different I guess. Hopefully my face doesn't get all f'd up even more from this new regime, usually it does. So I always fall back onto Proactiv. Also I've only been using Cerave Cream for the past week. It feels good and doesn't get too greasy or shiny, but it could be the source of my break out.

I hate acne marketing schemes. I hate proactiv and their celebrity actors. I hate product promoters who recommend for cash on the forums. I hate a lot of things, but I love this website. Thanks.

Edited by st_patrick

I'm going to buy the cetaphil bar you recommended. I hate their lotion too, greasy and makes me break out. Everyone's different I guess. Hopefully my face doesn't get all f'd up even more from this new regime, usually it does. So I always fall back onto Proactiv. Also I've only been using Cerave Cream for the past week. It feels good and doesn't get too greasy or shiny, but it could be the source of my break out.

I hate acne marketing schemes. I hate proactiv and their celebrity actors. I hate product promoters who recommend for cash on the forums. I hate a lot of things, but I love this website. Thanks.

I don't know about the bar. I use the cetaphil gentle cleanser that comes in a bottle with a pump. I think the bottled ones would be easier to use since you know it's not a bar soap. You just pump some on to your hand and wash away. Btw the cleanser doesn't foam up that much so don't go all crazy and put a lot on your face cause it might irritate your skin.

I don't know about the bar. I use the cetaphil gentle cleanser that comes in a bottle with a pump. I think the bottled ones would be easier to use since you know it's not a bar soap. You just pump some on to your hand and wash away. Btw the cleanser doesn't foam up that much so don't go all crazy and put a lot on your face cause it might irritate your skin.

Yeah I was doing some reading and found

Bar form: These contain harsh cleansing agents like sodium cocoate, and the ingredients that keep them in bar form can be absorbed into the skin to clog pores. Also, many bar soaps have alkaline pH levels, which actually encourages bacterial growth.

I don't like cetaphil since they bs'ed me about their lotion. I think I'm going with Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild Formula.

Question about the Liquid Soap: Does it clean off all the dirt just as good as the bar? I mean if it doesn't lather it usually doesn't clean the dirt. That's my experience with bar soaps when washing my hands.

I actually have the liquid cetaphil soap at my apartment that is pretty much full. I just like the lather of the bar because it does FEEL like it's cleaning more. The liquid is more PH balanced, I'm gonna give it another shot, you just kind of have to trust its cleaning I suppose, I never had any complaints with the liquid other than it not lathering. I'll let you know how it goes after using the liquid for a week or two. I think you'd be fine with either one, probably more of a preference thing.

Edited by callmeamack

Yeah i'm going with the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. I keep changing my mind. The Cetaphil is prob just as good, but let me know I'll also update you with the Purpose. I was going to go with Clinque's but it's only available at like sephoras and other chick stores plus it's 3x more expensive.

Edit: I just bought and used the Purpose Gentle Cleansing Liquid Wash. It lathers up real nice! My face feels nice and clean, but I'll update if i break out. (They state that it's gentle as water) Lol. We'll see about that.

Edited by st_patrick

I was in my local pharmacy picking up a prescription and I decided to go ahead and pick up some Purpose cleanser.. it is a little expensive at 9.99 for 12oz but I've used it for the last 2 days and am pretty much sold on the product. The cetaphil bar I was using was really good as well, but this being a liquid cleanser it should be more PH balanced. From the reviews people complained about it being too drying which I could see how it could be if you wash for like 30 seconds to a minute but I only wash for 10-15 seconds and this stuff is good and gets rid of oilyness REALLY well. I never ended up trying my cetaphil liquid and probably won't just because I don't like that it doesn't lather.

I get white heads in the dozen at a time and 2-3 red ones that hurt every other week. When i look at my skin closely in the mirror it doesn't look smooth at all and i can see dead skin cells all around my nose and forehead. Everytime I clear out a pimple I get 3 more somewhere else................. Any help would be appreciated.

This is my Regime right now. Help me add or change it. I'm open for anything

Morning:

Shower

Use Proactiv

Evening:

Shower

A few days a week I use Dan's BP Gel (I hate it, it's cold, slimy and gunks up)

I'm thinking about using the "Asprin" mask 2x a week?

My skin seriously sucks. I have red dots all over with nasty texture. Oh btw it gets greasy too. FML

Btw.. is it bad to wash your face after you shower? Someone told me it irritates the skin. I dont even put my face near the shower head unless i'm shampooing.

Your using waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many different chemicals on your face and I bet you its causing more harm than good! For example using BP AND BHA is a recipe for dry flakey skin; that dead skin build up along with your oil = new acne. I bet you that your face would calm down if you decided on one of those products rather than both.

And I don't have any research to back this up; by I never wash my face right out of the shower; I've always noticed that I'm more prone to breaking out if I do that for some reason. Most likely too much water on your face at one time since you shower and then wash your face.

Go with Cetaphil and some benzyol peroxide on your active acne.

Also what's your diet like? For many poor diet is 90% of the reason they continue to break out

PANIC