Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimbob_uk

Getting Dermarolling Done On The Nhs In 2 weeks, some questions

1) I have rolling scars, ice pick and everything else. The roller doesn't target specific areas so how can it work?

2) What is the healing time?

3) The Doc (at hammersmith) advised against subcision as it "can change the structure of the skin". Is that true? I've only heard good things about subcision.

Thanks for your replies.

How are you getting it on the NHS? I thought you couldn't get cosmetic treatments on the NHS?

So did I but I read that someone on here had it done. So I found a gp, got referred, then got referred again to Hammersmith.

I also spoke to Dr Chu by email (after i'd been referred) and he said I could get subc and derma on the nhs.

When I spoke to the Doc at Hammersmith he told me lasers (expensive ones anyway) can't be done on the nhs, but for some reason dermarolling can be.

I tell you what I am more than a little curious about. Jim, which doc at Hammersmith advised against subcision saying it could change the structure of the skin?

thanks.

I tell you what I am more than a little curious about. Jim, which doc at Hammersmith advised against subcision saying it could change the structure of the skin?

thanks.

hi, can't remember his name and it isn't on the appointment card. He is an Asian Dr, about late 30's I'd say.

I didn't realise you could get treatment on the nhs.

Thats give me abit of hope as i cant afford scar treatment

Do you think if i went the doctors they would be able to help? ive been clear 2 years since taking accutane but im now left with bad scars

I've gotten dermaroller done twice at Hammersmith Hospital on the NHS. I think they do it because it's a very cost-effective treatment, that can have results. I've definitely gotten some results after two treatments. Some scars have not changed at all, on the other hand one in particular has improved 60-70%. I don't know anything about subcision.

The dermaroller is basically mass needling.. they go over your scars a few times with the roller so that the scars get enough needling. I don't know exactly how this raises the scars as opposed to the healthy skin... but it does help to smooth things out (slowly).

When you get there they will put numbing cream on you, then you wait in the hallway for an hour. Then they'll do the rolling, which can be painful despite the numbing cream. When you're finished, your face will be very red and this will slowly subside over the next few days. Right after the procedure you will look pretty scary. Last time I had dried blood on my face that stayed there for two days... so definitely couldn't go to the office the next day (on the other hand after my first treatment I was back at the office the next day, just looking sunburned). It really depends on how you react but I would say after 3 days at the very most you will look fine.

Recommendations:

1. Make sure you can keep your hair out of your face during the procedure (use a hairband if necessary)

2. Don't be shy about communicating to the doctor where your scars are while they are doing the procedure or they might miss key spots

3. Get yourself a very gentle facewash to use during the days after the procedure -- I use a wash that is used for sensitive skin on infants (from Boots)

4. My doctor has told me to get a spray bottle that I can fill with cold water and spray myself every once in a while during the days after the procedure, to help the healing process. Last time I just used ice cubes wrapped in paper towels every 20 minutes or so and this worked pretty well but maybe the spray bottle would be better...

5. Get yourself a good moisturizer with sunscreen, I'd recommend using one that is formulated for sensitive skin, to use from the 2nd day on -- your face will start to peel in the days after the procedure and it's good to give it some moisture

6. Give yourself time to relax after the procedure.. you won't see results until several weeks after the procedure and results are not likely to be dramatic after the first procedure... so don't stress, just give your skin time to heal

Edited by Minerva473

I've gotten dermaroller done twice at Hammersmith Hospital on the NHS. I think they do it because it's a very cost-effective treatment, that can have results. I've definitely gotten some results after two treatments. Some scars have not changed at all, on the other hand one in particular has improved 60-70%. I don't know anything about subcision.

The dermaroller is basically mass needling.. they go over your scars a few times with the roller so that the scars get enough needling. I don't know exactly how this raises the scars as opposed to the healthy skin... but it does help to smooth things out (slowly).

When you get there they will put numbing cream on you, then you wait in the hallway for an hour. Then they'll do the rolling, which can be painful despite the numbing cream. When you're finished, your face will be very red and this will slowly subside over the next few days. Right after the procedure you will look pretty scary. Last time I had dried blood on my face that stayed there for two days... so definitely couldn't go to the office the next day (on the other hand after my first treatment I was back at the office the next day, just looking sunburned). It really depends on how you react but I would say after 3 days at the very most you will look fine.

Recommendations:

1. Make sure you can keep your hair out of your face during the procedure (use a hairband if necessary)

2. Don't be shy about communicating to the doctor where your scars are while they are doing the procedure or they might miss key spots

3. Get yourself a very gentle facewash to use during the days after the procedure -- I use a wash that is used for sensitive skin on infants (from Boots)

4. My doctor has told me to get a spray bottle that I can fill with cold water and spray myself every once in a while during the days after the procedure, to help the healing process. Last time I just used ice cubes wrapped in paper towels every 20 minutes or so and this worked pretty well but maybe the spray bottle would be better...

5. Get yourself a good moisturizer with sunscreen, I'd recommend using one that is formulated for sensitive skin, to use from the 2nd day on -- your face will start to peel in the days after the procedure and it's good to give it some moisture

6. Give yourself time to relax after the procedure.. you won't see results until several weeks after the procedure and results are not likely to be dramatic after the first procedure... so don't stress, just give your skin time to heal

Thank you Minerva.

He also mentioned the spray bottle.

Another couple of points, I had a slight cyst on my left cheekbone that cleared up about 2 months ago. It is still slightly depressed. Should it be ok to get the rolling done over it? I will mention this to the doc when I see him. I was on accutane acouple of years ago which cleared my skin, but too much smoking, late nights and I had a slight flare up, rare but it happened.

I guess now would also be a good time to stop smoking. :)

I'm getting it done mid week and have booked the rest of the week off so should be all good for work the next monday.

I think you'll be okay with your cyst. The whole reason I got referred to a dermatologist was because I had a monster cyst, which cleared up, along with the rest of my acne thanks to Yasmin birth control, around the end of August (leaving a lovely scar, in addition to the smaller ones I have). I had my first dermarolling session in November. But by all means, ask the doctor.

I forgot to mention, as far as the facewash and moisturizer, the doctor recommended Cetaphil, which I didn't get as I didn't have time to order it (and I don't know that they sell the Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF in the UK... maybe check one of those online phrarmacies like Pharmacy2u as it's not sold in stores). Cetaphil is a good brand, but I've done just fine with the Boots sensitive baby wash and some Olay moisturizer with SPF 15 for sensitive skin.

You'll definitely be fine for Monday. And yes, quit smoking!

Best of luck!

Edited by Minerva473

I think you'll be okay with your cyst. The whole reason I got referred to a dermatologist was because I had a monster cyst, which cleared up, along with the rest of my acne thanks to Yasmin birth control, around the end of August (leaving a lovely scar, in addition to the smaller ones I have). I had my first dermarolling session in November. But by all means, ask the doctor.

I forgot to mention, as far as the facewash and moisturizer, the doctor recommended Cetaphil, which I didn't get as I didn't have time to order it (and I don't know that they sell the Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF in the UK... maybe check one of those online phrarmacies like Pharmacy2u as it's not sold in stores). Cetaphil is a good brand, but I've done just fine with the Boots sensitive baby wash and some Olay moisturizer with SPF 15 for sensitive skin.

You'll definitely be fine for Monday. And yes, quit smoking!

Best of luck!

Thanks again, was just gonna ask which moisturiser to use then saw your post.

I will be sure to post before and after pics as well.