Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Repetitive Canker Sores = Gluten Sensitivity

Research has found that there is a significant percentage of people with canker sores caused by a sensitivity to gluten.

I have struggled with canker sores all of my life, usually having 5-7 at once. My dentists said I had oral herpes and the doctors said I probably was allergic to the toothpaste.

Canker sores are now one of the common symptoms listed under Celiac Disease. Sometimes it is the only symptom of the disease. No other signs or symptoms.

Various studies state that up to 30% of the US may be gluten sensitive.

Other symptoms of the disease usually go unmentioned:

Obesity

Headaches

Low white blood cell count

Hypoglycemia

Liver Enzymes, elevated

Anemia, Iron

Hyperprolactinemia (elevated prolactin hormone) -

Anorexia (Poor appetite)

Loss of Vitality

Easy Bruising (Ecchymosis)

Leaky Gut Syndrome

Malabsorption of Nutrients

Pancreatic Insufficiency

Hypochlorhydria (weak stomach acid)

Anxiety

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Depression

Headaches

Inability to Concentrate

Loss of Memory

There are more than three hundred symptoms and very few people have the same symptoms.

Edited by Dotty1

I use to get canker sores on a semi-regular basis as well. Nothing like 5-7 at one time, but 1-2 every 6 weeks. Interestingly I had one right before I began my gluten free diet just about a month ago.

I haven't had one since.

So much attention has been paid to Candida and Leaky Gut on these forums lately; shoot I even thought I potentially had them both. After thorough research I've realized its rather rare to get one or the other, although still very possible.

Gluten sensitivity on the other hand, as you mentioned is much more common 3/10 is pretty high.

Dotty are you taking digestive enzymes as well with your HCL? Its really helped me and I suspect its also played a role in rapidly clearing my skin so fast. I know you've researched them quiet a bit and I think I remember you said you started taking Bromelin which is very good for wound healing as well. But if your not already on a good digestive enzyme I think that could really help you out with that last bit of acne your battling.

I highly suspect you are gluten sensitivity from all your symptoms.

Good post!

btw: you asked me how I knew I wasn't Celiac in the other post and I said I didn't know for sure; but was pretty confident I wasn't based on the symptoms they list. I do realize some are silent carriers, but Celiac's only affects .003% of the population, of course part of this could be due to poor testing methods.

PANIC

I keep reading that, at present, 1 in 133 people have Celiac disease.

I've been denying I've had the disease for 10 years :whistle:. I don't have ANY of the "classic" symptoms. Now that I read all 300 symptoms, I realized that it could be an underlying cause of many people's random health problems. The doctors prescribe more and more medications to mask the symptoms.

I was taking Digestive Ultra, but I really didn't notice a difference in my acne. The HCl made the biggest difference, clearing my skin by 80%. I just went on a 10 day fruit fast and found that my skin was STILL breaking out, so I believe it is the blood sugar fluctuations, which is another symptom of Celiac Disease. :rolleyes:

I am using a probiotic.

Edited by Dotty1

I keep reading that, at present, 1 in 133 people have Celiac disease.

I've been denying I've had the disease for 10 years :whistle:. I don't have ANY of the "classic" symptoms. Now that I read all 300 symptoms, I realized that it could be an underlying cause of many people's random health problems. The doctors prescribe more and more medications to mask the symptoms.

I was taking Digestive Ultra, but I really didn't notice a difference in my acne. The HCl made the biggest difference, clearing my skin by 80%. I just went on a 10 day fruit fast and found that my skin was STILL breaking out, so I believe it is the blood sugar fluctuations, which is another symptom of Celiac Disease. :rolleyes:

I am using a probiotic.

sounds like herpes.. and that's for life..

The difference between oral herpes and canker sores caused by Celiac Disease is that oral herpes infections also occur on the outside of the mouth.

Canker sores from Celiac Disease only occur on the inside of the mouth.

Make sure you're getting enough B vitamins, especially if you don't eat enriched grains. Vitamin B deficiency can cause mouth lesions that look very similar to candida or cold sores.

I used to get chronic canker sores, but haven't had a single one since switching from a regular toothpaste to a SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) free version. Apparently, SLS is a known skin irritant and yet is contained in nearly all toothpastes because it causes the paste to foam...foamier toothpaste sells better, I guess. The point is that people with canker sores should not jump to the conclusion that they are intolerant to gluten.

I used to get chronic canker sores, but haven't had a single one since switching from a regular toothpaste to a SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) free version. Apparently, SLS is a known skin irritant and yet is contained in nearly all toothpastes because it causes the paste to foam...foamier toothpaste sells better, I guess. The point is that people with canker sores should not jump to the conclusion that they are intolerant to gluten.

Exact same thing for me. I stopped using toothpaste with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in it 2-3 years ago and have been virtually canker sore free ever since. Before that I was getting them all the time.

Try rinsing your mouth out with baking soda, this has a beneficial effect on the flora which may eradicate the canker causing organisms.

Lactic acid from yogurt may also help rebalance the flora as well.

Acetic acid or vineger, may also help.

Its the bacterial makeup that is off, excessive sugar may disrupt the balance.

antibiotics may also have started these canker sores as well.