Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryan10

I am starting accutane on 2/15/10

well my skin cleared on the regimen over the summer but since october while I was still on the regimen it got bad again. Today the derm said its time for accutane which I am starting monday. I dont know the MG on it all I know is he said I will take one pill a night for the first month. He basically promised me results by the end of 4 months, and it seems accutane really does work for everyone.

I have been on dans regimen for a year, and I will stop it on monday and only use a gentle wash/moisturizer along with accutane. I am very afraid that stopping the BP will cause a massive breakout, but I guess accutane is worth it at least I hope it is.

Does anyone have any tips they'd like to share to make this work for me? Like eating habits, sleeping, stress, or just stuff that helped you out!

I am 16, male, 5'10 175 pounds(sounds large but im really not that large haha)

Pretty sure my acne is hormonal. I have crysts around my chin and my cheeks just seem like alotta little red bumps.

HEY THERE RYAN. YOUR THE EXACT WEIGHT I AM. IVE BEEN ON 40 MGS TWICE A DAY- OF CLARAVIS(GENERIC ACCUTANE) FOR 4 MONTHS GOING ON MY 5TH AND FINAL MONTH NEXT WEEK.

I HAVE TO APPLAUD YOU FOR GOING ON IT AT YOUR AGE. I DIDNT HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT THEN. GOOD FOR YOU !

ANY WAY HERE ARE SOME TIPS:

HAVE PATIENTS.

DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND I MEAN WATER NOT SODA IF YOU LIKE SODA TRY DRINKING SELTZER, DRINK ABOUT 2 LITERS A DAY. GET A TUBE OF AQUAPHOR OINTMENT, THIS IF FOR YOUR LIPS. WATCH WHAT YOU EAT. TRY AND EAT HEALTHY. AVOID THE SUN. USE A GENTLE SUN SCREEN EVERYDAY ON YOUR FACE. UNLESS YOUR A HIGHLY ACTIVE 16 YR OLD YOU DONT HAVE TO SHAMPOO EVERY DAY. I USED CONDITIONER AND SKIPPED THE SHAMPOOING. YOUR HAIR WILL DRY SOME. YOU MAY EVEN WANT O USE A GENTLE SOAP FOR BATHING. USE A GENLTE MOISTURIZER ON YOUR FACE AT LEAST 2 X A DAY. I USED CETAPHIL MOISTURIZING LOTION ON MY FACE AT NIGHT ALONG WITH A COUPLE DROPS OF JOJOBA OIL MIXED IN. DURING THE DAY I USED CETAPHIL DAILY FACIAL MOISTURIZER(SPF15). WHEN THE BREAKOUTS DID HAPPEN I HAD ALOT OF INJECTIONS, THIS REALLY WASNT ALL THAT BAD.I SOMETIMES USED A MILD 2.5% B.P. ONLY AT NIGHT AFTER THE MOISTUREIZER. THIS DID HELP BUT I ONLY USE IT 2 OR 3 TIMES PER WEEK.

HERE WERE MY SIDE EFFECTS:DRY FACE -AROUND THE MOUTH MOSTLY. DRY LIPS TRUST ME AQUAPHOR IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL KEEP YOUR LIPS FROM DRYING. DRY HAIR : NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE THOUGH. HEADACHES, ONLY IF I DIDNT DRINK MY 2 LITERS OF WATER A DAY. DRY NOSE SOMETIMES A LITTLE BLOOD WHEN I WOULD BLOW IT BUT NEVER A FULL OUT BLOODY NOSE.IN THE 3RD MONTH I HAD MILD JOINT PAIN IN MY LEFT SHOULDER AND LOWER BACK PAIN BUT I THINK MY BACK PAIN WAS BECAUSE IM OUT OF SHAPE.MY EYES ARE KINDA DRY BUT NOTHING I HAVE TO TAKE DROPS FOR. I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY BLOOD LEVELS. I AVOIDED THE SUN BECAUSE IT DID TURN MY SKIN RED IF I STAYED OUT SIDE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.OHH AND BYTHE WAY I DIDNT START TO SEE RESULTS UNTIL THE 3RD MONTH,AND NEVER ANY DEPRESSION OR ANY OF THAT STUFF PEOPLE SOMETIMES WRITE OF WHEN TALKING ABOUT ACCUTANE.

AND NOW I HAVE NO ACNE ON MY FACE.. THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS ! MY CHEST ACNE IS FADING TOO. I CANT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT ACCUTANE. IF IN THE FUTURE I HAVE TO GO ON IT AGAIN- ALTHOUGH I HOPE NOT IM 34 YEARS OLD- I WOULD IN A HEART BEAT.

STAY POSOTIVE

STEVE

HEY THERE RYAN. YOUR THE EXACT WEIGHT I AM. IVE BEEN ON 40 MGS TWICE A DAY- OF CLARAVIS(GENERIC ACCUTANE) FOR 4 MONTHS GOING ON MY 5TH AND FINAL MONTH NEXT WEEK.

I HAVE TO APPLAUD YOU FOR GOING ON IT AT YOUR AGE. I DIDNT HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT THEN. GOOD FOR YOU !

ANY WAY HERE ARE SOME TIPS:

HAVE PATIENTS.

DRINK PLENTY OF WATER AND I MEAN WATER NOT SODA IF YOU LIKE SODA TRY DRINKING SELTZER, DRINK ABOUT 2 LITERS A DAY. GET A TUBE OF AQUAPHOR OINTMENT, THIS IF FOR YOUR LIPS. WATCH WHAT YOU EAT. TRY AND EAT HEALTHY. AVOID THE SUN. USE A GENTLE SUN SCREEN EVERYDAY ON YOUR FACE. UNLESS YOUR A HIGHLY ACTIVE 16 YR OLD YOU DONT HAVE TO SHAMPOO EVERY DAY. I USED CONDITIONER AND SKIPPED THE SHAMPOOING. YOUR HAIR WILL DRY SOME. YOU MAY EVEN WANT O USE A GENTLE SOAP FOR BATHING. USE A GENLTE MOISTURIZER ON YOUR FACE AT LEAST 2 X A DAY. I USED CETAPHIL MOISTURIZING LOTION ON MY FACE AT NIGHT ALONG WITH A COUPLE DROPS OF JOJOBA OIL MIXED IN. DURING THE DAY I USED CETAPHIL DAILY FACIAL MOISTURIZER(SPF15). WHEN THE BREAKOUTS DID HAPPEN I HAD ALOT OF INJECTIONS, THIS REALLY WASNT ALL THAT BAD.I SOMETIMES USED A MILD 2.5% B.P. ONLY AT NIGHT AFTER THE MOISTUREIZER. THIS DID HELP BUT I ONLY USE IT 2 OR 3 TIMES PER WEEK.

HERE WERE MY SIDE EFFECTS:DRY FACE -AROUND THE MOUTH MOSTLY. DRY LIPS TRUST ME AQUAPHOR IS THE ONLY THING THAT WILL KEEP YOUR LIPS FROM DRYING. DRY HAIR : NOT AS BAD AS I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE THOUGH. HEADACHES, ONLY IF I DIDNT DRINK MY 2 LITERS OF WATER A DAY. DRY NOSE SOMETIMES A LITTLE BLOOD WHEN I WOULD BLOW IT BUT NEVER A FULL OUT BLOODY NOSE.IN THE 3RD MONTH I HAD MILD JOINT PAIN IN MY LEFT SHOULDER AND LOWER BACK PAIN BUT I THINK MY BACK PAIN WAS BECAUSE IM OUT OF SHAPE.MY EYES ARE KINDA DRY BUT NOTHING I HAVE TO TAKE DROPS FOR. I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY BLOOD LEVELS. I AVOIDED THE SUN BECAUSE IT DID TURN MY SKIN RED IF I STAYED OUT SIDE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.OHH AND BYTHE WAY I DIDNT START TO SEE RESULTS UNTIL THE 3RD MONTH,AND NEVER ANY DEPRESSION OR ANY OF THAT STUFF PEOPLE SOMETIMES WRITE OF WHEN TALKING ABOUT ACCUTANE.

AND NOW I HAVE NO ACNE ON MY FACE.. THE FIRST TIME IN YEARS ! MY CHEST ACNE IS FADING TOO. I CANT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT ACCUTANE. IF IN THE FUTURE I HAVE TO GO ON IT AGAIN- ALTHOUGH I HOPE NOT IM 34 YEARS OLD- I WOULD IN A HEART BEAT.

STAY POSOTIVE

STEVE

Thanks man! Did you have any bad breakouts during the treatment?

Hey man, good luck with your course! I just started too and this community is SUPER supportive on here.

I will make sure to keep a log here! I'm more nervous about the initial breakout then anything else...

Don't worry about the IB that much. I rarely seen anyone on these posts with IBs that last for months or even a month. It's not that bad. Just keep aquaphor with you and you're pretty much good to go lol. Drinking water will be good to help clear the IB though so i will suggest doing that. But other than that, you can ask anyone on here for suggestions on products if any other side effects pop up. Best of luck!!

Don't worry about the IB that much. I rarely seen anyone on these posts with IBs that last for months or even a month. It's not that bad. Just keep aquaphor with you and you're pretty much good to go lol. Drinking water will be good to help clear the IB though so i will suggest doing that. But other than that, you can ask anyone on here for suggestions on products if any other side effects pop up. Best of luck!!

thank you! I heard about aquaphor but my derm gave me a thing called CortiBalm for my lips so I assume that works well, but if it doesen't I can always try something else.

I plan on using my eucerin moisturizer because it worked great on dan's regimen, does anyone have any better moisturizers I should look into if Eucerin fails?

honestly,try a little bit of olive oil. like less than a dime size all over your face. Won't clog your pores (dermatologist reccommended i use this yearsss ago) and helps fade red marks.

honestly,try a little bit of olive oil. like less than a dime size all over your face. Won't clog your pores (dermatologist reccommended i use this yearsss ago) and helps fade red marks.

Good tip to remember

Ahhhh dude, I think we'll be starting 'Tane in like the same week. Sweet.

I can't wait! Good luck!

thanks! but for anyone watching this log my start of accutane got delayed one day. I will be starting 2/16/10

Are you clear yet...LOL! Congrats on starting today, I am only 9 days ahead of you! Good luck

haha in a dream world id be clear today. But this reality and theres no changes to my skin, not even any dryness or side effects.

Get lip ointment, lot of people use aquaphor but i used blistex. I had an IB for the first month then my dosage was upped and I had another breakout. Finally started seeing improvement at about 2 and half months

well I am on day 3 of taking 1 pill a day at 40MG. Im taking the form called isotrention or something like that.

I still have NO drying or NO chap lips. No other side effects. Today my skin looked slightly better.

Personally since ive started accutane my emotions have gotten happier. I walk through school feeling good about myself, probably because I know I'm on something that will eventually get my skin to where I want it. After 3 days mentally I feel so much better about my skin and its only improved a tad. I can't wait until I get the full affect.

Day 12

Parents have told me my acne looks a good amount better. I have photo booth on my computer and during acne times I take a ton of pics of my face. I went back and looked at pictures I took right before accutane and compared them to today and now I see my acne has gotten better. I mean I still have pimples that are noticeable but it's not as bad.

I still don't have dry skin but I think im preventing it. From day 1 even when my skin wasnt dry I still put on moisturizer acting as if it was dry, I do this morning and night everyday and I still have no dryness. Latly my lips have been getting chap but nothing terrible.

It's only been 12 days so maybe the bad is coming but right now I have no complaints.

Ok, so Its been almost 1.5 months. For the last half a month I upped my dosage to TWO 40mg pills daily. Overall my skin looks a lot better, people are noticing my skin getting clearer. I still have pimples but not as many, smaller, and less redness.

Still don't suffer from dry skin, but I always use moisturizer because I think that also helps prevent the dryness from occurring. My lips do get pretty dry, but chap stick has helped greatly.

Overall, I am very happy with accutane so far and its only been about 5 weeks! Hopefully it continues to improve!