Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kingdollah

Skin Discolouration

I used a 5% BP cream and after 3 days, the areas on my face that I used it on turned noticeably darker.

The good thing is that the skin surface is almost totally smooth after only a few days.

Anyone help?

5% will dry out your skin a lot more than 2.5%. Also the Irritation level is about 40% more than that of a 2.5%.

Are you using SPF30 when going out into the sun?

If Sun is not the case, than that is just your dead skin cells drying up and will be eventually washed away.

I don't know what SPF30 is, but there is a lot of sun where I am right now.

I use the 5% because I seem to be getting better effects with it.

If it's just dead skin cells, will it happen again after they get washed away? How can I avoid them?

SPF30 means Sun protection factor 30. It's a scale which you use to measure how effective a sunblock is. Basically, what Thanh is saying, get a sunblock and use it after moisturizing if you go out to a bright, hot sunshine.

You can't avoid dead skin cells. The discoloration may be a remnant from old acne that is subsiding, or it might be a pigmentation fault from too much Sun. The reasons are numerous, but based on what you've written so far, I'd go with the Sun first, and obtain a good sunblock to use while you're outside. Either that, or wear a wide-brimmed hat =)

SPF30 means Sun protection factor 30. It's a scale which you use to measure how effective a sunblock is. Basically, what Thanh is saying, get a sunblock and use it after moisturizing if you go out to a bright, hot sunshine.

You can't avoid dead skin cells. The discoloration may be a remnant from old acne that is subsiding, or it might be a pigmentation fault from too much Sun. The reasons are numerous, but based on what you've written so far, I'd go with the Sun first, and obtain a good sunblock to use while you're outside. Either that, or wear a wide-brimmed hat =)

So does using BP cause pigmentation faults under the Sun? it only happens on areas where I applied BP.

You shouldn't use bp. It's not that great because it slows down your skins healing process and yea a lot of other things. I don't feel like typing sorry.

Err.. I thought this website was based on the use of BP?

So does using BP cause pigmentation faults under the Sun? it only happens on areas where I applied BP.

The honest answer is, I don't know. Benzoyl Peroxide, by itself and in light concentrations (2.5%) should not cause pigmentation faults. Or, during my nine weeks of use, I haven't noticed any such things. And if I look at Dan's pictures, with his 20-year use of BP, I don't see any pigmentation faults either. That, on the other hand, doesn't prove anything either way.

There's a FAQ question about the red marks here. Note the timeframe: four to six months. Maybe those are what you see, and not actual pigmentation faults? Here's a picture of a real pigmentation fault (hyperpigmentation). If this is what you're seeing, then yes, it is a pigmentation fault.

Err.. I thought this website was based on the use of BP?

It is.

Some studies that have shown BP slows/inhibits the healing of the dark spots left by acne.

I used to apply DK BP all over my face (tan Asian) after washing and it helped me go from having severe acne to the occasional pimple. But the dark spots I had were persistent so I decided to tweak my program. I now use DK AHA in place of the BP and within two weeks of the switch, the dark spots were noticeably lighter. A month after, an incredible improvement.

Everyone's skin is different, but I would recommend using the BP to first get your skin under control then using the BP only for spot treatment. The AHA or some type of exfoliator should help the spots lighten up in due time.

What I use (4 years):

Basis Sensitive Skin Bar Soap

Daniel Kern BP Treatment (formerly all over, now only spot treatment)

Lac-Hydrin 5 Moisturizing lotion (morning)

Daniel Kern AHA (night)

Edited by Rockfeller

Rockfeller: You actually stay clear that way, even though you used to have severe acne? If so then that's incredible. I don't think there's any doubts that BP slows the healing of the spots left by acne. Maybe it doesn't for everyone, but I am absolutely 100% sure it does for me. After a year using BP I still have red marks on my cheek from the last really bad acne I got there. I can guarantee spots would never, ever stay that long before. But, just like Dan says, the Regimen PREVENTS those spots in the first place, so I think it's worth it. I know they'll go away eventually, and I'm willing to wait them out. Still, if there's a method to get rid of them faster (like AHA maybe?) I'd certainly like to give it a try.