Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jewel77

Need encouragement - losing hope w/ Spiro!!

Okay, I've read this message board and the Spiro reviews over and over, but I'm starting to lose hope that Spiro will work for me! I've been on 100mgs for 10 weeks and have seen absolutely NO improvement whatsoever in my acne. In fact, it is probably a little worse with many HUGE cysts all the time. PLEASE tell me this is still normal!! It seems like most people have had at least SOME results by now with "complete clearing" a couple months later, but not me! I'm 32, with acne that gets worse right before my cycle, and the only time I've been clear in the last dozen years is during my 3 pregancies when my hormones must have been regulated. I OBVIOUSLY have hormonal acne! So, does Spiro work for EVERYONE that has hormonal acne, or are there a few that it just doesn't work for? Is it possible that I could still have success or would I have seen at least some results by now? Please help!!

Edited by jewel77

I have a question. You said you have read reviews over and over, why are you worried? You said you were on it for 2 1/2 months. You need to give it at least 1 1/2 more months to make a decision. A lot of people on it did get worse at first, and didn't clear up until month 4 through 6. I've been on it for 4 months and I'm just now seeing results. Give it 6 months, then you may say you're loosing hope.

Jewel everyone is different.. But I also get what you are saying.. NO improvement at all!? Hmmm I don't want to be negative but something is fishy. Has your oil production decreased? How would you rate your acne Mild/moderate/Severe..or xtremely severe? Have you had any side effects? Are you using anything else that could affect your hormones while taking the spiro? DO you only breakout before your cycle or are there other times?

I will agree with Anti-em above some people need the higher range doses 150-200mg.. 100mg still might work for you but it might take twice as long as me depending on how stubborn your hormones are? Some people pair spiro with a mild low dose antibiotic as well or BC.. Maybe these are some other options to look into.. And consider those above questions too..

I for one was taking MACA root powder as a natural hormonal supplement before going on Spiro. From time to time I would still take it.. and one day it occurred to me that every time I took it the next morning i had new cysts forming like clockwork. So i stopped. I also think too many topicals hinders the effects of spiro. picking. etc.

I know, I know - it takes time. That why I've read and re-read the reviews soooo many times looking for hope, but it just seemed like most people had seen at least a LITTLE progress by the 2.5 month mark. Those that didn't see progress by now were either on a lower dose, or didn't seem to fit the profile for hormonal acne. For me, I just seem to be as bad as before. Just when I think it's starting to get a bit better, it gets bad again. This is exactly how I've always been - getting a little better for a couple days, then either ovulating or cycling and starting the new cysts all over again. Shells, I do note a little less oil, mainly on my eyelids which used to get so greasy that my eyeshadow would run into the crease in a couple hours - now it stays put most of the day. I can wash my hair every-other-day now instead of everyday. My pores are still fairly large though. I guess this is progress, huh?

I haven't really had any negative side effects, but I still don't think I could get a higher dosage. I talked my PCP into prescribing it and he only wanted me to take 25mg a day, so 100mg was really pushing it! He wants me to do blood tests every 3 months as well. My acne is probably moderate with multiple cysts all the time, but even worse twice a month when I ovulate and cycle. Maybe it's just gonna take me longer since my hormones are obviously crazy and I'm only on 100mgs? I'm still holding out a little hope, and I mainly posted hoping someone would tell me that it took them a little longer and they still ended up with fabulous results. I'm going to give it 6 months, so I'll keep you all posted!

Hang in there!!!

I am 38 yr. old female and have been struggling with acne since early teens. I had perfect skin for my 2 pregnancies and when I went on accutane at 35. I started spiro on Dec. 8th, taking 50mg per day. As of Tuesday, I convinced my derm to let me try 100mg per day for the next 2 months to see if there is more of an improvment. Everything I have read said that you would notice less oily skin right away, which I have. Everything else says to wait at least 4 months for improvment in acne and that differs for everyone. My acne has definitely improved but I am still breaking out. Not bad break outs, but I currently have 2 small ones that hurt. I am also using taz .5gel every other night with neostrata 15% cream on the off nights. Anyhow, I know how frustrating it is b/c I too have to deal with perfect skinned moms at the kids school, but hang in there!!! Also for the past week I am making a conscious effort to clean up my diet by not eating any refined sugar or any "white" foods such as rice, potatoes etc. Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

Sorry about that Em! Actually I have studied up on PCOS, but I don't seem to fit the profile - I'm normal weight with very regular cycles and blood pressure, and no excessive body hair or any other PCOS symptoms. I really think it's just a case of sensitivity to testosterone. If I'm still not seeing results in another month or so, I may consider begging my PCP to prescibe a higher dose or find another doc who will.

I started on 50mg/day for one week, then 100mg/day. I did not see results until 6 months. I think you should wait at least that long, you'll be glad you did. 25mg is such a low dose, I've only heard that work on just a few people.

Jn

Jn, I am on 100mgs and have been since day 1, I'm just not seeing any results at ALL. So you didn't have any results at all until 6 months? Are you totally clear now? TIA!

Jn, I am on 100mgs and have been since day 1, I'm just not seeing any results at ALL. So you didn't have any results at all until 6 months? Are you totally clear now? TIA!

I am not completely clear. But yes, after 6 months I had considerable improvement. After nine months, my Derm said I could go to 150mgs, but I haven't seen much improvement going from 100 to 150. I might drop back down to 100.

Jn

YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! Just in the last couple weeks the Spiro has finally been working!!!!!! I'm not 100% clear now, but I have only 2 active zits that are almost healed and a few bumps under the skin around my mouth, but other than that I'm CLEAR!!!!!!! I'm so glad you guys encouraged me to hang in there!! I'm thinking it'll only get better from here! This last week was my ovulation week, which I normally get a flare-up from but NOTHING this time. I guess the real test will be the week before my cycle, so I'll try to update after that. I'm hoping that in the next month or so I'll be perfect! Thanks again for the encouragement!!!! :dance: