Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bounty

Bounty's Accutane Journey

Hi, my name is Bounty.

I've been a long time lurker of these boards trying to search for every bit of information regarding Accutane to see whether it was worthwhile to jump aboard the bandwagon. After much thought, I decided to go for it. I made an appointment with a well-known dermatologist and he promptly prescribed me 40mg/day for the first month. For reference, I am twenty years old and weight 140 pounds (about 64kg). I've been dealing with acne since my early teens, but ever since I turned 18, my acne went from mild to moderate-severe.

The Journey:

Day 3: I am now on my third day of Accutane and things haven't been much different than before I started the course. I can kind of feel a decrease in oil in my face, but it might just be my imagination. I'm sure plenty of side effects, like the infamous broken lips, are just around the corner waiting for me.

I will do my best in updating this thread at least once a week so that other fellow members can use it as a reference, particularly guys around my age and weight. Any comments are appreciated!

Congrats on starting your course! :D

I'm sure the decrease in oil isn't imagined - the first effect I experienced on Accutane was my skin going from oily to matte in just 1-2 weeks. Just wait and see ;)

In response to your response on my log: Who likes kernel panics, anyways? I am yet to have someone tell me "I can't wait for a kernel panic to happen on my computer today. That screen of death makes me all warm and fuzzy inside."

And my acne went hog-wild around the time when I was 18. Just when I thought I had bypassed my teenage years without any massive damage, THIS comes and hits like a tonne of bricks. Oh well, I guess that's the reason why we're all on here anyways.

Day 20

Sorry for not updating my blog in quite some time, I had to deal with some issues that came up.

So how has Accutane treated me in my first 3 weeks of the treatment? I couldn't be more satisfied. My oil production has dramatically decreased, although I still produce a little bit of oil that keeps my face from getting too dry.

Side Effects:

-Dry lips (nothing serious, I rather have dry lips than an oily face)

-Slightly dry skin

I still break out like usual but it seems it takes a shorter amount of time for the breakouts to heal.

Hope to keep you guys updated!

First Month!

I've got some very bad news. I took my first blood test only to have my doctor call me and tell me that the concentration of liver enzymes in my blood sample was abnormally high. As a result, I was told to take 20mg (half of what I used to take). Arghhh :wall:

I'm going to follow his advice though. We don't want to end up with serious liver problems in the future....

How's my skin you ask? It's doing pretty well! There's no oil whatsoever in my face, which actually feels kind of good! I still break out, but strangely enough there hasn't been a single pimple with puss since the second week or so.

Side effects:

-Dry skin

-Broken lips

It will be interesting to see what happens now that I am only taking 20mg a day.

Keep you guys updated!

Month 2

It's hard to believe it, but two months have already passed by!

I have been taking 20mg a day since my liver had a bad reaction to Accutane. The results have actually been better than I expected! My face is just as dry as it was when I was taking 40mg. My acne has been slowly (but steadily) decreasing, although there is still plenty of it left. I haven't broke out a single time in the last two weeks (I hope I'm not jinxing myself!), but there seems to be an increase in redness.

I'll keep you guys updated!

Month 3 and a half

I'm sorry for dissapearing for such a long time. I am now on my way to my 4th month of Accutane. Still taking 20mg.

My breakouts have almost nearly stopped, although I do get my occasional zit near my cheeks. The red marks that were left from my previous breakouts are there to remind me about my past. My biggest worry is whether or not my acne will relapse after the treatment.

I will try to keep you guys updated more often!

Finished with accutane!

Yesterday was my last day on Accutane. to recap my treatment, I took 40mg the first month and then 20mg for the remainder of the treatment (5 months). I'll post some pictures of my forehead to show the progress I made. Keep in mind the picture of the last month is overly red, but that's mainly a lighting problem (my skin actually looks a lot better!)

First month:

post-122431-1281933671_thumb.jpg

Second month:

post-122431-1281933734_thumb.jpg

Fourth month:

post-122431-1281933751_thumb.jpg

Yesterday (Sixth month):

post-122431-1281933777_thumb.jpg

post-122431-1281933671_thumb.jpg

post-122431-1281933734_thumb.jpg

post-122431-1281933751_thumb.jpg

post-122431-1281933777_thumb.jpg

Update!!!

It's been 2 whole months since I stopped using Accutane and....

I couldn't feel better :D ! My derm warned that some acne might come back shortly after I finished my six months, but I haven't seen a single pimple since I stopped using Accutane. My skin is no longer dry but it isn't oily either like it was before I started treatment.

Just thought i'd let you guys and girls now....