Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jlb27

please take the time to read this, please respond

I am new to this website but thought I would register in hopes of finding some info on a problem thats been bothering me for awhile now. Ive never had severe acne, only mild acne breakouts but was put on accutane because nothing else worked for me. (the accutane worked great) I have one area on my face (the area in between my lip and nose on the right side of my face)where I, for years, seem to have a reoccuring cyst. The cyst itself isnt all that big, but everytime I get one the entire area surrounding the cyst swells up pretty bad, when the cyst goes away, so does the swelling.Afew years ago I got a small cyst in that same area(with no initial swelling this time) and squeezed it pretty hard to try to get it to come to a head(bad idea, I know) The area aroud it swelled slightly right after I did that, probably from putting to much pressure on it, and the swelling never went away. It was pretty slight and not that noticable so I just accepted it and eventually got used to it. A year ago the cyst came back, the area all around it swelled up (like it usually does) but this time, again, the swelling never went down, and its much more noticable this time. I didnt touch it this time either, I dont understand how an area of inflamation can just stay that way?? I had another cyst on the other side of my face awhile back and the swelling went away when the cyst did, it must just be something with this certain area of my face. My question is has anyone ever expierienced permanent swelling? Ive never heard of that before. Ive seen 2 dermatologists, one gave me Atralin Retin a and said that would help with the swelling (it didnt) and the other gave me a doxycycline perscription and suggested a cortisone shot, which I was told would be a terrible idea seeing as how there is no longer a cyst to inject it into. The cyst has been long gone, theres not even a scar there or anything, just an area of what I consider to be a significant amount of inflamation. Im worried that if the cyst comes back its just going to keep getting worse and more inflamed. Has anyone ever experienced anything at all like this? Please anyone respond with any info or suggestions. I would really appreciate any kind of help or advice on if theres anything I can do to reduce the inflamation, Its been a long time and its not getting any better, Its very depressing.

hmmm

I think you should talk to another derm about this maybe. To me, it sounds like the original core of the pimple is still there and is still irritating the skin quite a bit. The time you tried to pop it a bit too aggressively, you likely forced it deeper into you skin. It probably keeps getting reinfected, bringing along the redness and swelling. I think that having it extracted if possible would be a permanent fix.

sorry I cannot really help.

FIrst off im sorry that is happening. Ive had something like that before. I suggest maybe you try icing the area for a while everyday and maybe one or two ibuprofen and see if it responds at all.. The fact that your doctor prescribed retin-a for that is beyond me. If the area is not responding to antibiotics i would maybe see a different derm about it. Before u see a derm though find one who is respectable. And yeah it wont last forever so dont be too down about it.

thanks for the reply. im wondering about the comment you made about having it extracted? I dont feel anything there, the inflamed area is just soft, normal skin. I dont feel anything underneath at all either. Any more comments? I appreciate any input

FIrst off im sorry that is happening. Ive had something like that before. I suggest maybe you try icing the area for a while everyday and maybe one or two ibuprofen and see if it responds at all.. The fact that your doctor prescribed retin-a for that is beyond me. If the area is not responding to antibiotics i would maybe see a different derm about it. Before u see a derm though find one who is respectable. And yeah it wont last forever so dont be too down about it.

Thank you very much for the reply. I didnt understand the retin a thing either, I've tried ice and ibu as well and have been on doxy for over a year, and nothing is helping. Im just beginning to think its permanent. Im wondering if theres some kind of oral anti-inflamatory I could get perscribed that might help. The dermatologists I've seen dont seem too concerned at all.. You had a similar situation? How long did it take for your skin to return to normal?