Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Weenie Beenie

Took my first pill today! Questions...

I never thought the day would ever come, but I took my first Accutane pill today. It's both scary and exciting at the same time. I have a couple of questions though...

I kind of busted open my first pill trying to get it out of the package, so I couldn't use that one and had to to get another one out. So I'm down one more pill than I should be. Today is the 10th and my next derm appointment is March 1st. On March 1st, will I be prescribed more even though it will not have been 30 days and I'll still have some left from my first prescription? I'm just afraid to go a day without taking a pill, and since I busted open that first one on accident, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to.

My second question is, I'm someone who suffers from flakes and some scalp acne-like activity. Am I going to be able to use a medicated shampoo on Accutane?

Thanks

I'm convinced that those little cardboard-backed blister packs are the antichrist! :evil:

As for medicated shampoo, I started getting horrible flakes right BEFORE I started Accutane, due I think in part to a dye job that I think burned my scalp and I've been using Nizoral with no ill effect for the first month of treatment (at 80 mg/day). It's helped a great deal.

Hey :) You can have your derm appt before the month is over, but you can't get the prescription. I had to skip a day my first month too and it doesn't really make any difference. You'll still have accutane in your system so don't sweat it. Best of luck on your course!

I broke a capsule last month too and missed a day starting my second month. It is cumulative total dose, missing a day won't hurt anything. The packaging is ridiculous! I don't think I'd use medicated anything without checking with your derm first, but am pretty sure they'll say it's ok.

Hey :) You can have your derm appt before the month is over, but you can't get the prescription. I had to skip a day my first month too and it doesn't really make any difference. You'll still have accutane in your system so don't sweat it. Best of luck on your course!

Well, I had my appointment with the derm on the 8th and I picked up my first prescription on the 10th. And as I mentioned, my next appointment is March 1st. So I won't be able to get a refill at my next appointment? How will I be able to get more then?

Well, I had my appointment with the derm on the 8th and I picked up my first prescription on the 10th. And as I mentioned, my next appointment is March 1st. So I won't be able to get a refill at my next appointment? How will I be able to get more then?

The appt is just to check how you're doing and they send in the prescription after the first month is over, and then you have 7 days to pick it up. Ipledge wont let a prescription be sent in before then. You'll get the refill when you need it, don't worry.

And as for skipping one pill this month, I'd recommend you skip today or tomorrow. But people forget to take a pill some days all the time so it doesn't really matter.

I broke a capsule last month too and missed a day starting my second month. It is cumulative total dose, missing a day won't hurt anything. The packaging is ridiculous! I don't think I'd use medicated anything without checking with your derm first, but am pretty sure they'll say it's ok.

what does that mean? cumulative total dose. I read that on another thread. But was unsure what it meant...

Edited by inobe3240

Thanks for the reply.

I should also add that the doctor I will be seeing on the 1st is not the same doctor who prescribed me the Accutane and who's name is on my lab slip to get blood. I hope that won't screw anything up either.

I actually went to a different derm as well for the initial prescription and the 1 month check up because my derm wouldn't accept abstinence for birth control. They should use the same Ipledge you have set up, so it should go exactly as it should. If you're worried about it, just call you derm to double check.

inobe3240 - The cumulative total does is the total amount of accutane your body needs and is measured by your weight, so a heavier person would need more and a lighter person would need less. Like at the end of my course, I should have reached my cumulative total dose. So if you are taking 20 mg everyday, your course will be longer because it will take longer to reach the cumulative total dose, and an 80mg course would be shorter.

Hope that makes sense..

I actually went to a different derm as well for the initial prescription and the 1 month check up because my derm wouldn't accept abstinence for birth control. They should use the same Ipledge you have set up, so it should go exactly as it should. If you're worried about it, just call you derm to double check.

inobe3240 - The cumulative total does is the total amount of accutane your body needs and is measured by your weight, so a heavier person would need more and a lighter person would need less. Like at the end of my course, I should have reached my cumulative total dose. So if you are taking 20 mg everyday, your course will be longer because it will take longer to reach the cumulative total dose, and an 80mg course would be shorter.

Hope that makes sense..

thanks. it makes perfect sense.

Alright, cool. I mean it's still at the same clinic and under the same health system and everything, it's just going to be a different derm because the one who prescribed me the Accutane and signed the iPledge stuff won't be there again until April.