Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
padresfan

Bug-bite-looking bumps that itch

Lately I've been getting these red bumps on different areas of my face (mainly my forehead and cheeks). I've gotten them from time to time before also. The bumps are the size of mosquito bites, they radiate heat, and itch. I know that they are NOT bug bites. They almost never form into a zit and they end up going away in a few days. I'm wondering what they are and what causes them.

I have not changed my regimen (which you can see below in my signature) for a long time. So I don't believe the cause to be the products I use.

If there are any suggestions of what I should do or what product(s) I should try, please let me know.

Keep in mind that I have very sensitive skin and I'm allergic to BP.

I get those too. I've been clear for a while now from Tane, but these tiny itchy bumps still come up once in a while. My skin's very sensitive, too, so I haven't tried anything for them yet. Usually when I get them, they'll come in groups, one or two on my face, maybe a few tiny ones on my chest/neck. I wonder if it's more of an allergy than acne?

Edit: I also have Rosacea, and I know sometimes these sorts of bumps can be related to it.

Edited by Deadbeat007

The bumps aren't really tiny. They seem to be the size of small cysts and/or big pustules, but they are not either of those things.

Yeah I get these as well. Like Lauren said....I'll get them in clusters. Mine are always huge and I can feel them coming, and if I don't scratch them (yes I know scratching is bad) they itch all day long. Also, like the OP said mine usually don't form into a pimple either. Mine actually go away after 6 or so hours. BP doesn't work on them. I usually put Benadryl on mine. It seems to take the itchiness away, and relieve the redness. What exactly have you used/tried before on them?

Lauren: These bumps are related to rosacea?

Here's a picture of something similar/related to this problem...it might even be a different problem, I'm not sure. But every so often I get a red patch (mainly on my cheek) that radiates heat, tingles, and has a white-colored bump in the center (it's not a whitehead or pustule, it's just lighter colored than the rest of the patch). It seems that the pores dialate in the patch (which, if you zoom in on the picture you can kind of see).

Any idea what this is? I'm pretty sure it's not eczema (because it's not dry or flaky or scaly), and I don't think it's rosacea since the red patch usually goes away in a day.

post-26301-1265979097_thumb.jpg

post-26301-1265979097_thumb.jpg

Edited by padresfan

Amanda: I was told by an old derm who diagnosed me with Rosacea that the itchy bumps I'd get could be due to my Rosacea. There is such a thing as Acne Rosacea, which isn't exactly acne but rather the rashy redness of Rosacea pair with the sometimes-itchy bumps. I don't know if there's any relation if someone only has the itchy bumps, but not the Rosacea.

padresfan: To me, that looks an awful lot like either Rosacea or Keratosis Pilaris, both of which are sometimes comprised of red skin and bumps. When my skin flushes red, the pores oftentimes look a lot bigger... Maybe the pores expand a little due to the heat radiating from the skin? Not quite sure... Have you had a derm look at it?

Amanda: I was told by an old derm who diagnosed me with Rosacea that the itchy bumps I'd get could be due to my Rosacea. There is such a thing as Acne Rosacea, which isn't exactly acne but rather the rashy redness of Rosacea pair with the sometimes-itchy bumps. I don't know if there's any relation if someone only has the itchy bumps, but not the Rosacea.

padresfan: To me, that looks an awful lot like either Rosacea or Keratosis Pilaris, both of which are sometimes comprised of red skin and bumps. When my skin flushes red, the pores oftentimes look a lot bigger... Maybe the pores expand a little due to the heat radiating from the skin? Not quite sure... Have you had a derm look at it?

No money for a dermatologist.

Could it still be rosacea even if the red patch appears a couple times a year and goes away in a few hours to a day?

Edited by padresfan

I'm in the same boat this year. Have you noticed any trends in the way the redness is brought about? Generally Rosacea will flare with exercise/heat/etc, though I'm not very familiar with KP.

Edit: My Rosacea came about very quickly -- i.e. since the first day I developed it, I haven't been without it. If it's bothering you that rarely, then it could be something totally different.

Edited by Deadbeat007

I'm in the same boat this year. Have you noticed any trends in the way the redness is brought about? Generally Rosacea will flare with exercise/heat/etc, though I'm not very familiar with KP.

I actually just woke up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom and I noticed it. One of the other times I had one I was just watching TV.

I actually just woke up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom and I noticed it. One of the other times I had one I was just watching TV.

Your skin could just be sensitive and reacting to something you're using. If you use any scrubs at night, maybe that could be the cause? Switching to some different brands and experimenting to see if the redness stays away might help.

Your skin could just be sensitive and reacting to something you're using. If you use any scrubs at night, maybe that could be the cause? Switching to some different brands and experimenting to see if the redness stays away might help.

I have not used anything different or new on my face recently.

Last night all I used was my usual Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash and CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion.

Edited by padresfan

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks alot, Lauren! To think that it could be related to Rosacea! =)

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks alot, Lauren! To think that it could be related to Rosacea! =)

No problem. =) I never knew you had ze Rosacea!

No problem. =) I never knew you had ze Rosacea!

You didn't? But yeah I do. Not to mention that I flush easily. It's really a winning combination I must say! :razz:

Looks very much like rosacea to me. Are you getting any very small white heads?

No, I am not getting any small whiteheads.

I don't think that this is rosacea because the blotch appears only once or twice a year and it goes away in about 2-6 hours.

From my understanding, rosacea is an ongoing thing, like you have symptoms most of the time.

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'll share from first hand experience that you can have a little bit of acne and a little bit of rosacea and a little bit of HIVES all at the same time. The little itchy bumps, if they come and go in about a 24 hour period, could sure be hives (the fancy term being urticaria). I try to manage mine with careful diet and a little bit of Claritin and Zantac (both over-the-counter, non-drowsy, and pretty easy on the system anti-histamines). I use a Kiehl's product on a Q-Tip on mine, regardless of whether they are on my face or on my body. I'm happy to share further if you'd like ... I'm a big Kiehl's fan but I promise that I don't work for them or benefit in any way from my saying I like their products.

I get these! They're like little bug bites on my face and they'll appear out of nowhere and disappear after a couple hours (though sometimes they leave behind a red mark which drives me crazy). I started getting them a couple years ago when I first started college, but maybe only a couple times a month so it didn't really bother me. Last month I started getting a couple a day, but after a few weeks I discovered that the culprit was the Clinique gel that I switched to from Clinique lotion. I still get them every once in a while, but I've started monitoring my diet and it's been getting better. Like Searching4simple said, I have acne and rosacea and these hive-like bumps all at once! I went to the derm and she said that these bumps are a symptom of rosacea (as is my acne) so we're focusing my attention on my rosacea now. If these bumps are starting to really bother you, I'd go see your derm? It's tough to diagnose yourself on the internet.

Hi, I agree with allysaurus, when I first started to have these little bumps, my first doctor appointment was with my internist, who looked at them and suggested Claritin and Zantac and referred me to an allergist. After several appointments with the allergist he concluded that it was a salicylate allergy and said that I should never take Advil or aspirin again, and that the bumps would go assuredly away. That was years ago, I have not had one Advil or aspirin since that appointment, and the hives STILL come and go, but the Claritin and Zantac do help for sure. I've added the topical Kiehl's blue astringent liquid to my routine on my own, particularly when the hives come up on my face. Sometimes I use a really small dab of Aveeno cortisone cream on the ones that come up on my body if they are really itchy. Cortisone is a problem for the rosacea, so I use it very, very sparingly. Anyway, that's my story, all the best, S4S