Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LoveGreenSmoothies

Spiro and Potassium

Am I the only person who worries about this? I feel like I am...Pretty much all the foods i eat have potassium in them. The only things that are low in it are refined foods and I don't eat them.

Have you all had your potassium tests already, so you feel you're ok?

I had mine a few weeks in at 50 mg/day and it was absolutely fine. I don't really worry about having too much potassium. I go back to my derm. the 22nd so I'm going to ask how often I need my electrolytes tested then.

My diet is probably a little too heavy in the grain department, but other than that I eat lots of spinach, tuna, pomegranate juice, the occasional fruit, tomato products, lean meats (chicken and turkey), etc. The only one I'd really worry about is the pomegranate juice as it's high in potassium, but I never drink a full serving so I figure it's fine.

Well grains have it too, unless they're refined (white). Tomatoes and spinach have it too. Actually every food you listed has it, so it makes me feel a bit better that you eat that stuff and were still ok.

Edited by Anti - Em

If this helps, I've had normal potassium levels since before I started spiro. I've been on 100 mg for about 4 months and my levels are still in the perfect range. I haven't changed my eating habbits at all. If your potassium levels were good when you started, eat the same stuff, and you'll be fine. It's kinda rare for it to raise your potassium levels. The only reason why they check so much is that if it does raise, it will be very bad. I was also worried about this before, but now I really don't care at all.

That's good. I know they say it's rare, but it's still frightening. I was scared, then I was fine about it, and now I am back to being scared. I think it's because I realized everything I eat has Potassium in it...

From what I understand from the multitudes of research I've done online, Spiro shouldn't mess with your potassium levels unless you have a pre-existing kidney problem. It doesn't hurt to have you levels checked periodically, but I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I found this article on the symptoms of high potassium. I'm posting it so people can be informed just in case they have these symtoms and are not being tested for K+ (potassium).

I also want to post it because I remember some people taking bactrim with spiro, and according to this article, bactrim also raises K+ levels.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5127732_signs-sy...-potassium.html

I'm glad you are too.

I guess since you were ok, that means you must not have any problems with accumulating too much potassium.

I can't wait to get my test, so I can rest assured that I won't get it. You just never know if you may have some problem that may make you more sensitive to the med, but the majority of people don't, so I'm not too worried, but you never know....I don't have any of the symptoms.

Another article says diarrhea and abdominal pain are also symptoms.

I just found out a cup of milk has MORE potassium than a banana. I drink way more than a cup of kefir a day. Kefir has almost 600 mgs of potassium in a one cup serving. I drink two to four times as much of that a day! It doesn't even list potassium on the nutritional info. That makes me mad. I am starting to feel bad for people who can't have potassium because of their hearts. It should be on the label if it's high. I need to stop drinking it, I guess. I'm glad I found this out because I was eating the equivalent of 4+ bananas a day. :o

Found old labs that I have where they tested my hormone levels (and everything else) and my potassium was already towards the high end, but normal. It was 4.5. I only need to go up .5 to get too high. I am probably not going to be able to stay on this. I eat way too many foods that are rich in potassium. I don't even know what to eat to change my diet....white bread? Processed foods? Ugh.

I wouldn't even be worried but I think my calf pain may be from my potassium levels kicking up.

Edited by Anti - Em

No, you don't need to fast. Praying for the best for you! Try not to stress out about it, though I know that's hard. I really shouldn't talk though. I'm the queen of stressing.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I wouldn't be at all stressed if it wasn't for the kefir fiasco. I also don't like the calf cramping, but that may be something else entirely. I guess I just want to know already!

Did you see the MD yet for your breakout?