Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dn7prh10

How accurate are allergy tests?

So I just had an allergy test done for foods and basically the results were inconclusive...especially regarding the foods I had believed to be problematic for me. Am I wrong to feel defeated? That maybe my own efforts to "cure" my acne are foolish/impossible? Or should I not give up and try harder with my diet? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated...especially encouragement to keep with it and not give up.

I and my best friend spent $700 each on allergy tests and they didn't find anything wrong with us.

Today, a member on this forum posted a new test for gluten that appears to have a 100% accuracy rate. It is $99. It is not done via blood but by stool sample. They can send you the kit and you send them your sample. I've read about this new form of gluten-sensitivity testing on various Celiac sites. The lab also tests for soy, eggs, dairy, yeast and other allergies and they also do genetic testing for predisposed auto-immune diseases (like Celiac Disease).

The lab: https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htm

The member said that it correctly diagnosed another family member and himself.

I plan on taking it.

Edited by Dotty1

I and my best friend spent $700 each on allergy tests and they didn't find anything wrong with us.

Today, a member on this forum posted a new test for gluten that appears to have a 100% accuracy rate. It is $99. It is not done via blood but by stool sample. They also test for soy, eggs, yeast and other allergies and they also do genetic testing for predisposed auto-immune diseases (like Celiac Disease).

The lab: https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htm

The member said that it correctly diagnosed another family member and himself.

I plan on taking it.

Luckily, I only had to pay a $10 copay for my allergy test so it wasn't a complete waste for me. But now I'm just wondering whether or not it is really worth the sacrafice of eliminating all these "possible intolerances". And no doctor can tell me anything regarding this terrible "skunk" smell that I experience off and on throughout the day...that alone gives me warning that something is not right in my body.

If and when you have the $$, you should try the stool test for gluten-sensitivity. It is on all the medical websites that 30-40% of people in the US have a gluten sensitivity.

About two weeks ago I read that body odor was one of the symptoms of not digesting protein properly. The website suggested Hydrochloric Acid. Interestingly, only today I read that gluten-sensitivity causes malabsorption, thus causing very weak stomach acid and therefore inhibiting enzyme release. Both hydrochloric acid and enzymes are needed in the digestion of protein.

I suggest trying HCl or getting a gluten-sensitivity stool test.

What allergy test did you get done at your doc's office? The common allergy test that most regular doctor's offices have nearly always come back as inconclusive because the testing is poor at best. They will only show something if you truly are Celiac or have a severe severe allergy. Most people DO NOT have food allergies, they have food sensitivities which have a boat load of side effects, acne being a common one.

Remember that long PM I sent you a couple weeks ago about the food sensitivity test? Well that's what I would do if I were you. Its called the LEAP MRT 150 Test. It screens for over 150 common day foods and chemicals that you could be sensitive or intolerant to....

The test is a pricy at $375 plus the doc's fee to analyze the test. But the great thing here is you get a individualized diet plan made up for you based on your body's reactions.

Ever wonder why certain remedies whether they're holistic or topical work for some and not others? Well that's because everyone is different and needs individualized solutions.

You don't need a doc's prescription and usually the test results are analyzed and returned quickly. I'm getting another test done first, then plan on getting this one done next. It can save you a ton of head-aches and actually let you know what you can and can't eat.

Here's some info on it and if your interested Google it and find a health care physician in your area who you can get it done. PM me if you want more info on it.....

http://ezinearticles.com/?MRT-Testing-Is-H...s&id=757842

I'm so tired of avoiding so many foods and can't wait to really find out what's going on inside my body that caused this sudden change.

PANIC

"They will only show something if you truly are Celiac or have a severe severe allergy."

Are you referring to the standard blood test given to Celiacs?

I know of no standard test that has a high accuracy of telling whether one has Celiac Disease or not. The standard Celiac blood test has a 70% accuracy rate. Many Celiacs are told they don't have the disease when they do. This happened to two of my friends who are severe Celiacs. The biopsies are a little better but are not conclusive. The biopsies, at this point in time, are considered the most accurate available.

There is a new test on the market that is rumored to be far more accurate than even the biopsies. I've been reading the reviews and so far they are all positive. It tests the antibodies in the stool instead of in the blood.

Edited by Dotty1

What allergy test did you get done at your doc's office? The common allergy test that most regular doctor's offices have nearly always come back as inconclusive because the testing is poor at best. They will only show something if you truly are Celiac or have a severe severe allergy. Most people DO NOT have food allergies, they have food sensitivities which have a boat load of side effects, acne being a common one.

Remember that long PM I sent you a couple weeks ago about the food sensitivity test? Well that's what I would do if I were you. Its called the LEAP MRT 150 Test. It screens for over 150 common day foods and chemicals that you could be sensitive or intolerant to....

The test is a pricy at $375 plus the doc's fee to analyze the test. But the great thing here is you get a individualized diet plan made up for you based on your body's reactions.

Ever wonder why certain remedies whether they're holistic or topical work for some and not others? Well that's because everyone is different and needs individualized solutions.

You don't need a doc's prescription and usually the test results are analyzed and returned quickly. I'm getting another test done first, then plan on getting this one done next. It can save you a ton of head-aches and actually let you know what you can and can't eat.

Here's some info on it and if your interested Google it and find a health care physician in your area who you can get it done. PM me if you want more info on it.....

http://ezinearticles.com/?MRT-Testing-Is-H...s&id=757842

I'm so tired of avoiding so many foods and can't wait to really find out what's going on inside my body that caused this sudden change.

PANIC

It was a skin prick test. And the things that had a very miniscule reaction were of foods I either never eat or eat only occasionally. I'm just feeling so defeated because the WHOLE time I was there the doctor was trying to convince me to do Accutane. Like you I am just so tired of worrying and avoiding certain foods in the hopes of my acne getting better. I mean I think about my acne basically all day long and its getting in the way of my life. I am seriously considering giving up and just trying the accutane but I'm scared to.

Those stupid tests aren't worth the time or money. **grumbles** I completely understand how you feel.

Before acctune, try these:

1) Betaine HCl - Hey it is only $10 and you can see if it alleviates your acne within a week. Not a big deal.

2) Order allergy tests at EnteroLab. https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htm

"They will only show something if you truly are Celiac or have a severe severe allergy."

Are you referring to the standard blood test given to Celiacs?

Hey Dotty! I wasn't referring to any specific test, just trying to show the difference between the "old school" allergy tests doctor's still use compared to some of the more efficient tests that have been developed since.

And your right, many Celiacs show up negative on standard allergy tests.... its a shame really.

I know of no standard test that has a high accuracy of telling whether one has Celiac Disease or not. The standard Celiac blood test has a 70% accuracy rate. Many Celiacs are told they don't have the disease when they do. This happened to two of my friends who are severe Celiacs. The biopsies are a little better but are not conclusive. The biopsies, at this point in time, are considered the most accurate available.

Interesting.... makes sense though when you consider the testing methods that many doc's offices use for allergy verification.

There is a new test on the market that is rumored to be far more accurate than even the biopsies. I've been reading the reviews and so far they are all positive. It tests the antibodies in the stool instead of in the blood.

I personally know I don't have Celiac's but I've very very sensitive to gluten just like many others on this board. For whatever reason over the past 5 months it became much more prevelant in the form of acne, presumably due to the extreme stress I was under at work.

I suspect my issue has more to deal with Leaky Gut/Candida than a true sensitivity to any food item. I'm getting a Musocal Barrier Test done which tests for Leaky Gut, Yeast Overgrowth. I've suddenly developed problems to certain foods that I never had a much of an issue to at all. Subway for example is off limits to me, most likely due to the bread containing gluten. However a year ago I had no problem with it... weird, so I know something's up.

I'm not breaking out at all anymore since I eliminated many of the common food sensitive items.

Keep us posted on your test results!

PANIC

It was a skin prick test. And the things that had a very miniscule reaction were of foods I either never eat or eat only occasionally. I'm just feeling so defeated because the WHOLE time I was there the doctor was trying to convince me to do Accutane. Like you I am just so tired of worrying and avoiding certain foods in the hopes of my acne getting better. I mean I think about my acne basically all day long and its getting in the way of my life. I am seriously considering giving up and just trying the accutane but I'm scared to.

Not coming down on you at all because I know how frustrating it can be to figure out what's causing your acne. Don't give up, just keep researching and trying things to find the answer. It really boils down to this: your diet is affecting your skin consistently right now for some reason. The only way your going to get your skin under control is to do an elimination diet.

Cut out ALL gluten, dairy, wheat, nuts and soy. Yeah it sucks, but its worth it to fix your skin and then after a couple months you can re-introduce foods and see how you react. I'm just about 5 weeks in to this type of diet and although my acne wasn't bad, it was just so persistent and annoying. My skin is so much better since I've been on this diet and know it will only get better after I finish getting tested for what items I'm sensitive to so I can eat relaxed!

What is your diet like right now? I'm betting the house something your eating everyday is causing your skin to break out. I can't emphasize enough how strict you must be while on this diet, especially if you have something wrong with your digestive system as others have suspected due to the body odor issues that surface shortly after you eat.

Write out exactly what you've been eating from morning til night and we can help you better than the skin prick test ever could.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

I personally know I don't have Celiac's but I've very very sensitive to gluten just like many others on this board. For whatever reason over the past 5 months it became much more prevelant in the form of acne, presumably due to the extreme stress I was under at work.

I suspect my issue has more to deal with Leaky Gut/Candida than a true sensitivity to any food item. I'm getting a Musocal Barrier Test done which tests for Leaky Gut, Yeast Overgrowth. I've suddenly developed problems to certain foods that I never had a much of an issue to at all. Subway for example is off limits to me, most likely due to the bread containing gluten. However a year ago I had no problem with it... weird, so I know something's up.

How do you definitely know you do not have Celiac Disease?

I have family members with it and thought the symptoms were straight forward (bowel problems, absorption problems, skin problems, etc), but after further research I've discovered that it is called the "Iceberg Disease" because only a select few have those severe symptoms. Researchers have discovered that the majority have no symptoms at all.

From what I understand, only a gene test can completely tell us 1) whether we have it now or if we can develop it after a stressful situation or 2) we don't have it at all. ($149 at Entrolab).

The strange fact that you only recently developed a gluten allergy is very suspect!!

One of common symptoms is that the disease lies dormant for 20 years and a stressful situation activates the gene so that the person cannot touch gluten. The stressful situation can be the death of a family member, a car accident, etc.

Did you happen to go through a stressful situation about a year ago?

How do you definitely know you do not have Celiac Disease?

I have family members with it and thought the symptoms were straight forward (bowel problems, absorption problems, skin problems, etc), but after further research I've discovered that it is called the "Iceberg Disease" because only a select few have those severe symptoms. Researchers have discovered that the majority have no symptoms at all.

Good point I don't know 100% that I do not have Celiac's, but I have never had ANY of the common symptoms of the disease at any point in my life other than the sudden acne I developed about 5 months ago. And this acne was definitely different than the acne I had in my late teens.. I'm 29 now btw. No digestive problems, no bloating nothing. My sister know's a Celiac that she works with and she said literally within a short time frame of eating gluten this girl has red puffy skin, she has trouble breathing among other things.

But you do bring up a valid point, everyone reacts differently and the fact that it doesn't show any symptoms for many is an interesting point.

I don't know of any family members who have this disorder, but then again bad skin did run pretty rampant through my dad's side of the family so it might have been one of many possibilities.

From what I understand, only a gene test can completely tell us 1) whether we have it now or if we can develop it after a stressful situation or 2) we don't have it at all. ($149 at Entrolab).

I'm gonna get the musocal barrier test done first and see what results that brings, but the Entrolab test is something I'm going to look into for sure. I'm completely avoiding gluten anyways right now so I know I'm not feeding the problem so to speak.

The strange fact that you only recently developed a gluten allergy is very suspect!!

One of common symptoms is that the disease lies dormant for 20 years and a stressful situation activates the gene so that the person cannot touch gluten. The stressful situation can be the death of a family member, a car accident, etc.

Yeah I agree, I think I've actually been sensitive to gluten for a while, but the extreme stress on top of it really made the sudden acne I was getting worse. The last thing I ate that had gluten in it was whole wheat pasta and within a few hours my skin went crazy.... that was about 6 weeks ago now.

Did you happen to go through a stressful situation about a year ago?

I was in a chronic stressful environment at my job. In the beginning I dealt with it fine since I had the gym as an outlet. But then I hurt my shoulder and have been out of the gym for a while now and that's when I noticed it actually was getting worse. I wasn't handling the stress well at all since I've always been a low stress guy and it really did a number on me.

That stress started back in Jan of 09 but didn't get bad until Sept of this past year. I left the job since it was affecting me that much....

The reason I suspect Leaky Gut in my case is so many other foods other than gluten were driving my skin nuts.... I was able to eat cheese without any problems before.... same for whey protein and nuts. I can't do that anymore..... so to me a poor digestive system caused by stress makes a lot more sense at the moment rather than just gluten sensitivity or Celiacs..