Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rivercat

Steam Facial & Exfoliating...

I love giving myself a steam facial once a week or so, feels amazing. And I also love to make sure I exfoliate the same night. But I'm SO confused on which I should do first...

I use St. Ives Blemish and Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub to exfoliate and I wash with Purpose Gentle Cleanser. So in what order should this be done?

I always thought doing the steam facial first, and then scrubbing all the dead skin build up after with an exfoliator made sense, but some websites tell me differently. I'm hoping I can get this cleared up on here before I leave for Florida Thursday.

Thanks in advance!

Personally, I use St. Ive's Apricot Scrub first to exfoliate the dead skin cells off so that the steam can get to the pores better. Then I steam my face. Finally, I either wash my face with Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash or use some sort of facial mask.

I feel that by exfoliating first the steam can penatrate the pores better, making the cleanser or mask more effective.

I'm studying beauty therapy and the order we do a professional facial in is :

First cleanse

Tone

Skin analysis

Second Cleanse

Exfoliate

Scaling fluid and steam

Extraction (squeezing blackheads, etc)

Post extraction fluid (antibacterial fluid)

Massage

Mask

Tone

Moisturize

x

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate it.

Padresfan, do you use original St. Ives Apricot Scrub or the Blemish and Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub? I see that there are a few, so if you can even point me to the exact one you use and recomend, I'd be greatful. Oh and, in what order would you add Shaving into that? I like to shave at night before bed usually, instead of in the morning. Also, I see in your Regimen that you use a moisturizer...I have two questions. Does it give off that greasy look like Dan's moisturizer, because I hate using it in the day and I hate my face looking like it has something all over it. And my other question is...if I just use moisturizer at night, will that help hydrate my skin during the day after I wash in the morning? Because after washing with the Purpose Gentle Cleanser, my skin get's pretty dry and flakey.

And Jellybeans, thanks alot...I wish I had time for all that, or even the products/tools for that, or just knew someone that could give me cheap or free facials. But I'll keep those tips in mind. :P

Thanks again guys!

Edited by Joey T

Padresfan, do you use original St. Ives Apricot Scrub or the Blemish and Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub? I see that there are a few, so if you can even point me to the exact one you use and recomend, I'd be greatful. Oh and, in what order would you add Shaving into that? I like to shave at night before bed usually, instead of in the morning. Also, I see in your Regimen that you use a moisturizer...I have two questions. Does it give off that greasy look like Dan's moisturizer, because I hate using it in the day and I hate my face looking like it has something all over it. And my other question is...if I just use moisturizer at night, will that help hydrate my skin during the day after I wash in the morning? Because after washing with the Purpose Gentle Cleanser, my skin get's pretty dry and flakey.

And Jellybeans, thanks alot...I wish I had time for all that, or even the products/tools for that, or just knew someone that could give me cheap or free facials. But I'll keep those tips in mind. :P

Thanks again guys!

Tell me about it dermalogica products are quite pricey and a facial takes over an hour but I just thought id let you know the order we're taught to do it. :) x

I usually put on a exfoilating mask like an asprin honey mask. Then steam while it's on, then after I finish, I rub my face.

Then I put on a cream at night. Face feels smooth and looks pretty good.

Then I wash with a moisturizing cleanser in morning and then add in small amount of some moisturizer.

But, I have yet to find a moisturizer that doesn't make your skin look all extra shiny and stuff. I have tried like millions of stuff already. i already gave up. Though, I don't use one that gives a super duper shine. But I still don't like it, especially taking a picture with a flasher..

But I guess I can try exfoliating first and then steam.

But I haven't steamed in 2 weeks so far.

I seem the same I think.

Oh well, i'll give it a try agian.

Thanks again guys!

I either use the original or the gentle one, but I don't think it would be a problem to use the medicated one.

In my experience, the CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion does not leave my skin greasy looking. You just have to make sure you don't use too much (a little goes a long way). I cannot compare it to Dan's moisturizer since I haven't used it before.