Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kirrk26

when to use AHA for regimen newbies

hey there dan,

i just bought my starter kit. i want to know the best time to buy the AHA. i have moderate acne. im not sure if i need to buy it after a month of doing the starter regimen. please advise. thanks. ;)

You can add the AHA in after you've been on The Regimen for about a month and your skin has had time to adjust to the full amount of BP. The AHA is strong stuff, and adding it in too soon can be too harsh for your already-irritated skin. (Keep in mind that you don't have to use AHA at all for The Regimen, but it can be a nice addition.)

When you're ready, you can start using the AHA two or three times a week in place of your regular moisturizer. If your skin seems to tolerate that well, you can start to gradually use it more often, if you'd like. I wouldn't recommend using it more than once a day, though, since--as I said--it's pretty strong stuff, and it's possible to over-exfoliate your skin.

Keep in mind that you'll need to use sunscreen any time you'll be exposed to sunlight for at least a week after any AHA use (even on cloudy days), as it can make your skin more sensitive to sunlight and more prone to burning.

Hope that answers your questions. : )