Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris M

Redness at one month! Help!

So I am at the one month mark and although I am pretty clear, here I am, still red! I have not changed a thing with the BP because when I tried to up the dosage it didn't go so well. So I tried last week, to cut the BP dosage to once a day for a few days which helped, but I welcomed back 5 new pimples! So that turned out to be a bad idea. And here I am, back on twice a day BP feeling like its week 1 again!

I have found that Jojoba Oil feels great on irritated skin, but it isn't helping the redness no matter how much I use! I have used dan's moisturizer and it BURNS and then minutes later I'm fire truck red! I used cetaphil and I was red... AND greasy! I used Aveeno Ultra Calming which worked... and then I broke out from it! CeraVe is now my moisturizer of choice and it's working ok, but I am still red! I honestly don't care about how dry my face feels (i know that sounds stupid), I care more about the damn redness! Honestly my skin feels and looks the best right after applying BP (even if I use a LOT) which is kind of odd, and even though it gets really dry and tight, it still looks really good! Then I apply a moisturizer and all hell breaks loose on my face! Please someone tell me that this is still normal and its going to go away. Otherwise please... what works better than all these moisturizers I have tried! help!

I'm a few weeks ahead of you (about to start week 7). I was getting really frustrated with the redness, but like you I was (and still am) clearing. I've found that over the past week, the redness hasn't lasted as long and has been less severe. Generally when I wake up in the morning or at my night time treatment I'm normal. I don't know about you, but I'm very fair skinned, so I think it has just taken longer for it to adjust. I'm hoping it calms down in the next week or so.

Well I guess this isn't going away anytime soon then! lol, but I guess my biggest concern is how long this can last while not even using the full dosage of BP? I mean, I really wanna be able to lather myself up with BP like so many others on the full dosage! and again, I wonder why its ONLY the moisturizer that turns me into a burn victim? any ideas?

The redness doesn't magically disappear at the one month mark. Sometimes it can take a while to fade.

Chris M, it sounds like you might have sensitive skin, which might be why the redness is lasting so long. How much BP are you currently using? Have you tried cutting back slightly on how much BP you're using while still using it twice a day? That might help a little. And if it seems to be the moisturizer that's bringing on the redness, perhaps you just need to keep shopping around until you find the moisturizer that's right for you.

Best of luck! : )

I have a sensitive skin too and I actually use a 5% BP. So when I first use it it got my skin so irritated like I wanna scrape my skin and it was very red. I used the regimen twice a day too. Due to the redness and itchiness I tried to stopped using BP for 2 days but I moisturize my skin with Clean and Clear Doubnle action moisturizer 3x daily. then I had break outs but the redness faded. When I started the BP again no more irritation and redness. So I continued but only once every evening. I moisturize 2x in the morning then do the regimen in the evening. I had break outs while using the regimen once but after a while when my skin got used to once a day BP I got no more break outs. I only have a dry and flaky skin now and scars left by acne. I can see that all my painful bumps are deflating. I'm happy with the results in just 2 weeks now. I drink a lot of water too even if I'm not thirsty to help hydrate my skin.

Hope you can get something out of my experience.

hi c'est la vigne! i was hoping to get a response from you. and thanks HotAsian09 for your advice too! :D I guess i'm just looking for a magical moisturizer to arrive that, even if it isn't the best "moisturizer", will just leave my skin its normal color, albeit a little dry!

To answer your questions, I use a thin line of BP, probably about 1/3 fingers length. And yes I tried cutting back to once a day with that and I broke out. But still after applying the BP even once a day, my skin would be fine, and then BOOM, moisturizer made me a lobster! honestly, I don't mind feeling dry! I mean, if it would not make me red, I'd be willing to spot moisturize with a crappy moisturizer all day! even every hour if I have to... ! What does CeraVe, Cetaphil, and Dan's all have in common that makes me red? I mean... they all work so well to moisturize but they all sting and leave me red for a good 4-6 hours after using them!

I'm sorry for complaining so much! I love Dan's cleanser and BP so much! And i wish i could just use those alone! but I just wanna get results without having to tell my wife, don't touch my face cuz its burning right now!

Edited by Chris M

Lol, aww! Well, I'm glad I posted, then!

My question was whether or not you'd tried sticking with applying the BP twice a day, but using a little less. That way there would still be BP on your face at all times, but it might help with the irritation.

I don't know what it is about all those moisturizers that's making you so red, but I hope we can figure it out.

I hate to tell you to go spend more money on more moisturizers that might not work for you, but I've heard good things about Complex-15. That might be worth a try. Or you could go to a local health food store and see if you can get some jojoba oil there (that way you wouldn't need your credit card, and you wouldn't have to wait for it to ship).

When you're using these moisturizers that are making your face red, how long are you using them for? A few days? A few weeks? Maybe your skin just needs time to settle into them?

I actually do have jojoba oil and I use it religiously! I ordered it from the start of the regimen and i use it in the CeraVe to try to lessen the redness. Although it soothes the irritation, it doesn't cut back the redness for me. I think i'm gonna try to pick up the Complex-15 and see how well it works! i'll post back in a few days if I get some results either good or bad! Thanks c'est la vigne! :D

btw... while I have you still... i just wanna sneak two more questions in...

1) have you heard of any hair gel that is non-comedogenic? cuz mine sucks and is really oily! lol

2) in your own experience, when the redness finally subsided, was it like one morning you just woke up and it was gone, or was it really a gradual decrease?

Thanks so very much! : )

Yeah, definitely keep us all updated on this!

As far as the redness goes, it just kind of gradually fades over time. I was worried about it, too, for a while, but it did fade, and now my skin looks just fine.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the hair gel thing, though. I don't use any styling products in my hair. You might want to check the Cosmetics And Style board to see if there are any threads about hair gel there, and if there aren't, maybe you could start one.

I personally just passed the 8th week mark, and my redness is almost completely subsided now. I used to be awfully red after applying the moisturizer, but no longer.

Even the areas where I had hyperpigmentation and redness from old acne are now starting to fade away.

I'm otherwise using the run-the-mill Dan's regimen, but I use the full BP dose only once a day. In the morning, I only apply BP to the problem areas that still require further treatment. I trust the moisturizer to spread some BP residue to the areas which are already in better shape, to keep them as they are.

Edited by Guest

Hi Chris -

I have overly sensitive skin, so I found that on occassion, say after cleansing your face with cetaphil, spritzing your face over with COLLOIDAL SILVER, may be suited to you??

Colloidal Silver is VERY beneficial to skin, it's an powerfully alkaline and can aid in redness and sometimes just gives you a nice cool and calming feeling.

Maybe give it a try - but wait for it to try before you put on your BP :)

Thanks you guys!! I love this site because people actually like to help others! :D:D So a little update on my situation, last night and this morning I tried something a little different. As c'est la vigne had said... I used slightly less BP, but enough to cover my whole face pretty well. I waited about 15-20 minutes and at the time to moisturize I decided (because I looked all over the place for Complex-15 and couldn't find ANY!) that I would moisturize with my CeraVe as normal, but just dab it on very sparingly and make sure it has been fully absorbed! I find that when I cake it on and let it air dry, thats when my face tends to light up and get beat red!

So far so good everybody! I guess i'll slowly start to ramp up the dosage of BP as long as my skin stays its normal color, and maybe i'll go a little heavier on the moisturizer after I start to get used to this method! I guess only time will tell! Thanks so much everybody!! :clap::dance:

Thanks you guys!! I love this site because people actually like to help others! :D:D So a little update on my situation, last night and this morning I tried something a little different. As c'est la vigne had said... I used slightly less BP, but enough to cover my whole face pretty well. I waited about 15-20 minutes and at the time to moisturize I decided (because I looked all over the place for Complex-15 and couldn't find ANY!) that I would moisturize with my CeraVe as normal, but just dab it on very sparingly and make sure it has been fully absorbed! I find that when I cake it on and let it air dry, thats when my face tends to light up and get beat red!

So far so good everybody! I guess i'll slowly start to ramp up the dosage of BP as long as my skin stays its normal color, and maybe i'll go a little heavier on the moisturizer after I start to get used to this method! I guess only time will tell! Thanks so much everybody!! :clap::dance:

Oh, good! I hope it continues to work for you! : D

im about to start my 8th week sunday and i still breakout and get a little red...hopefully you will clear up soon. I still break out! i did today actually. I say stick with it, I am going to give it the 3 month trial. Seems like everyone does get the success for the most part.

I'm just finishing my first week, used a full finger's BP by accident because I got carried away a few nights ago and my skin got so dry so I've been healing and not using BP for two days and just the moisturiser.

Jojoba is for irritation and flakiness, but I thought AHA+ not only works as a spot treatment but you can also use it after or instead of BP and it helps with redness?