Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mbbento

Interesting abstract on sebum reduction

sebum reduction

This is an interesting abstract that I thought I would share. I wish I could get ahold of the full-text article to find out more about their "sebum control cream."

That is an interesting abstract, however the study itself leaves a little to be desired.

First off, the sample size was way too small. 20 people? I'll be happier when I see a study of 2000.

Also, they conducted the study in the winter months, when skin can seem less oily. Or, I should say, skin has a tendency to seem oilier in warm, humid months, for various reasons.

And 4 weeks, in my opinion, is not long enough to determine the long-term efficacy of such a product.

Hopefully this study will give them enough to be able to get a grant for a larger study.

Also, they conducted the study in the winter months, when skin can seem less oily. Or, I should say, skin has a tendency to seem oilier in warm, humid months, for various reasons.

I think the main problem with the trial was that they didn't bother to account for possible seasonal differences in sebum production by letting each participant serve as his/her own control. They should have tested the local effect by having them apply the active cream to only one area of the face (like only one cheek), to see if that one area was affected more than the other cheek, which should have gotten a placebo cream.

I think the main problem with the trial was that they didn't bother to account for possible seasonal differences in sebum production by letting each participant serve as his/her own control. They should have tested the local effect by having them apply the active cream to only one area of the face (like only one cheek), to see if that one area was affected more than the other cheek, which should have gotten a placebo cream.

That's not a bad idea.

But that's just one issue I had with this study. Heh.