Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been extremely depressed lately because of my acne. I have been thinking about making an appointment with the counseling service at my university since it's free to students. I just don't know if seeing a counselor is going to work since my depression is mainly brought on by my acne and since the counselor won't be able to do anything about making my acne go away. I was definitely much happier during the periods of my life when I had clear skin.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has seen a therapist/counselor and if it helped with self-esteem and depression issues brought on by acne? Thanks.

I have been extremely depressed lately because of my acne. I have been thinking about making an appointment with the counseling service at my university since it's free to students. I just don't know if seeing a counselor is going to work since my depression is mainly brought on by my acne and since the counselor won't be able to do anything about making my acne go away. I was definitely much happier during the periods of my life when I had clear skin.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone on here has seen a therapist/counselor and if it helped with self-esteem and depression issues brought on by acne? Thanks.

I saw a therapist last year at my university. We talked about low esteem as a result of my acne and other issues. She helped me soooooooo much. She was amazing. I have since graduated and I miss talking to her. A good therapist really does put you at ease. I would leave the session feeling so much better. Its amazing me how just talking to someone about your problems helps you feel better. It was just nice to know somebody was listening because i would keep my self esstem issues bottled up to my self.

I say go see the therapost ASAP. You have nothing to lose. GOOD LUCK ;)

Although they may not be able to do anything about your acne, they may be able to help you come up with ways to cope with the stress it causes you. And, as inobe3240 said, sometimes it can help a lot just to know that somebody is listening.

I say go for it. : )

As BT say, its good to talk.

You right, talking to a counsellor wont cure acne, but its free and theres nothing like being able to talk about everything and anything at all, whatever is going through your mind, with someone who is always going to listen.