Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ziko

Is subcision the way to go?

Hello everyone,

Laser treatment (DEEP FX) didn't give me the results I hoped for. Now, about 2 months post treatment my scarring has improved maybe 5%. My scarring is mild-moderate rolling scars on my cheeks. The shallow ones did not improve at all. The deeper ones did slightly.

I am now looking into other treatments. What options do I have? I doubt peels will have any effect considering it's a mild form of laser treatment. After some reading I see alot of positive talk about subcision. Is subcision combined with a laser afterwards the way to go now?

A few questions about subcision;

Can someone explain to me how it works? The tissue underneath the scar will be "loosened" but I read there will be a "line" visible afterwards which may or may not go away with time. Does this mean that, other than this line, the scarred area will be removed completely? I dont get it.

Can subcision be used on (very)shallow rolling scars?

Why is a laser afterwards recommended? Considering I had laser 2 months ago, my collagen should be somewhat regenerating, could I skip the laser afterwards because of this?

Edited by Ziko

Subcision is probably the best treatment out right now for rolling scars. If your scars are are very shallow, there is a good chance you can get 100% improvement(or at least very close to it).

If you have a picture of your scars, post it up.

And about the "line," where did you get that from? There is a slim chance you can get additional scars from the subcision needle, especially when done by somebody with little experience. But then again, the chances are really slim. If somebody told you that YOU WILL get a line from subcision, they are wrong.

Hello everyone,

Laser treatment (DEEP FX) didn't give me the results I hoped for. Now, about 2 months post treatment my scarring has improved maybe 5%. My scarring is mild-moderate rolling scars on my cheeks. The shallow ones did not improve at all. The deeper ones did slightly.

I am now looking into other treatments. What options do I have? I doubt peels will have any effect considering it's a mild form of laser treatment. After some reading I see alot of positive talk about subcision. Is subcision combined with a laser afterwards the way to go now?

A few questions about subcision;

Can someone explain to me how it works? The tissue underneath the scar will be "loosened" but I read there will be a "line" visible afterwards which may or may not go away with time. Does this mean that, other than this line, the scarred area will be removed completely? I dont get it.

Can subcision be used on (very)shallow rolling scars?

Why is a laser afterwards recommended? Considering I had laser 2 months ago, my collagen should be somewhat regenerating, could I skip the laser afterwards because of this?

There are 3 types of subcsion.

Traditional subcision with a Nokor Admix 18g needle, or another type of 18g needle with a tri-beveled head. Can be used on face or cellulite

2nd type is saline subcision using a smaller usually 30g needle to undermine the scar then inject saline wich creates pressure and causes the scar fibers to snap apart. however, in my opinion traditional subcision/undermining gives better results. face use

3rd type is circular diamond wire subcision. this requires a very very skilled doctor, many don't know about it, nor do they know how to perform it. Gives a better even result. face or cellulite. I personally probably would opt out on diamond wire subcision.

line scars? i dont know what you are talking about. no such thing as line scars with subcison.

complications include hard tuff nodule formation, over-correction, sometimes long lasting brusing/redness at site.

I consider it the premier scar revision technique. More than one treatment is absolutely nessary for most acne scar patients. Best results if combined with some type of resurfacing.

More than one treatment is absolutely nessary for most acne scar patients. Best results if combined with some type of resurfacing.

A Dutch website claims that four treatments are needed to get good results. Don't know if that's true but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Seems like a relatively inexpensive treatment too; 70-140 Euros per treatment. That's not bad, imo.

Edited by I do not have acne

Line Scar:

I had subcision about 9 months ago. I still have a linear type scar left over after subcision.

The line or linear look depends on how aggressive the doctor goes and how big your rolling scar is.

If you have a large rolling scar like I did and the doctor goes aggressively undeerneath it to untether the scars and it lifts the skin over it you will see a line like area because the scar was lifted and may be lifted slightly over the surrounding skin. That is what happened to me.

Does it get better with time? Yes. Do I still have it? Yes.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but every procedure carries some risk...however I would say subcision is one of the better treatments out there with lesser risk with a good doctor.

Ask lots of questions.

I would say subcision and TCA cross are the most effective and least risky acne scar procedures. Some combine subcision with laser that would result in a lot of downtime but may be very helpful also.

P.S. I only got that linear type scar on my larger rolling scar that was around a cm long....my smaller scars did not receive any type of line at all.

Line Scar:

I had subcision about 9 months ago. I still have a linear type scar left over after subcision.

The line or linear look depends on how aggressive the doctor goes and how big your rolling scar is.

If you have a large rolling scar like I did and the doctor goes aggressively undeerneath it to untether the scars and it lifts the skin over it you will see a line like area because the scar was lifted and may be lifted slightly over the surrounding skin. That is what happened to me.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but every procedure carries some risk...however I would say subcision is one of the better treatments out there with lesser risk with a good doctor.

Ask lots of questions.

So are you saying that the line scar is a raised scar? Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you are saying that the large scar that was subcised was subcised too much, resulting in it being lifted instead of depressed?

Line Scar:

Ask lots of questions.

I had to read your posting carefully to understand it. when the original poster said "line scar" i thought this person was referring to a superficial scar in the shape of a line, similar to cutting your hand with a knife. However, it seems you are reffering to "line scar" as an over-correction of the scar.

In my opinion yes over-correction can happen especially in the hands of someone retarded, such as a resident at Stanford who is now a beverly hills doctor. Did this happen to me, yes it did. However, under carefull hands there is no reason patients should suffer over-correction.

In terms of other line-scars such as from needle entry, I don't think thats a real risk.

other risks include nodule formation or hardening of the area

So I went to my derm today and took some pictures. There is some result but its really minimal. She suggest doing 2-3 more laser treatments (for a reduced price). She says the results are cumulative. I spoke to a girl at the clinic who also had undergone treatment with him, she said she had no results after the first time but her scars had greatly improved after 4 treatments..

Meh! Don't know what to think now... A part of me wants go on with it (after all, results come to the ones who hold on right?). But if I end up with no results after another 3 treatments.. well... I'd kick myself for the head.

I really want subcision but most drs. don't even di it anymore, because they push the expensive lasers.

I know of one Dr. on the East coast who (used to) do it. Dr. Rappaport. I don't know if he still does it or not, but I remember him being VERY expensive.

Anyone know anyone in NJ/NY/PA area who is good?

the line scar appears to be a depressed region of the area...I recently had dermabrasion to try to get rid of it but still appears and actually the dermabrasion took away some of the improvement from the subcision yet maybe will end up looking better overall not quite sure.

As with any surgery there carries some risk and I went to a dermatologist that has been practicing for 18 years so as you can see there is some risk.

This only happened in my largest rolling scar (around a cm long).

I would describe it as almost overcorrection but it does appear as a slight depression...

Depending on size of your scars...and types subcision seems to be much less risky than other skin surgeries...but everything does carry a risk. Find the best doc for it and talk it out a lot before you do it. Get your expectations down and see what's possible. It is no miracle procedure as some would have you believe...but it can yield some improvement and then do other procedures down the line.

I went to my derm recently and she said that she felt that subsicion was an "antiquated" treatment. She didn't elaborate, though. Anyway, there's another opinion. lol Just thought I'd share.

Edited by I do not have acne
I went to my derm recently and she said that she felt that subsicion was an "antiquated" treatment. She didn't elaborate, though. Anyway, there's another opinion. lol Just thought I'd share.

It sure is an old treatment. It's so simple that people could have done it centuries ago. No fancy machines needed but it messy and more laser intensive tahn lasers.

they use a needle to go under your skin and break up the scar tissue... it is no joke really. I was bruised for about a week and a half...felt weird looking for a bout a month-3.5 months.

Did it help?

Maybe, but it created a new linear scar for me.

Can it help you? Maybe...not sure.

I am not sure if I shoudl have ever gotten subcision or dermabrasion and am kind of pissed now that I did.

It's a nightmare to find a doc that performs subcision (I stay in Berlin atm), they all seem to push for laser nowadays.

I seem to read only positive reviews, is there anyone who didn't have any improvement from subcision?

ziko- i did get improvement 30percent. (i did it twice) it's pretty worth it.

Also, you only got 5percent improvement from Total FX? That's it? it's pretty expensive too...

Edited by hiclub2
It's a nightmare to find a doc that performs subcision (I stay in Berlin atm), they all seem to push for laser nowadays.

I seem to read only positive reviews, is there anyone who didn't have any improvement from subcision?

You should call derms and plastic surgeons and ask them yourself (starting with the most reputable doctors first). A lot of doctors don't list subcision as a procedure they perform on their websites.

Subcision is when a nokor needle is used to break up scar tissue that's tethered down. I had it down before to a few scars, my rolling scars responded quite well. I have no scar from the nokor needle, I went to a dermasurgeon and she is very skilled and reputable. I can only tell they are there if I look closely.

So, my next question is; is subcision only for scars that are bound down? After doing some reading, apparently it isn't that usefull for scars that dissapear when u stretch the skin? Mine almost completely dissapear.

Edited by Ziko
So, my next question is; is subcision only for scars that are bound down? After doing some reading, apparently it isn't that usefull for scars that dissapear when u stretch the skin? Mine almost completely dissapear.

so happy someone references the peachcosmeticmedicine.com site. ive been thinking about going for their excision rather than the subcision.

my understanding is subcision and excision are both for scars that are being bound down. excision is used on the ice pick or boxcar scars whilst subcision is used on rolling scars. I think this is correct. I wouldnt be worrying if your scars disappear when you pull on them or not. The fact of the matter is they are there. scar tissue must therefore be involved. thing you have to realise with both procedures is you will be left with a scar, tho smaller than before. am keen to see some after shots if anyone has any. as i personally have no clue what the new smaller scar would look like.