Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
inobe3240

I hate looking in the mirror

I rarely look in the mirror since my acne has gotten worse over the last 4 months. I hate and dread looking at it. I glance at it when im put on my makeup. But I cringe while doing that. Does anybody have the same problem? Am I alone? :(

I rarely look in the mirror since my acne has gotten worse over the last 4 months. I hate and dread looking at it. I glance at it when im put on my makeup. But I cringe while doing that. Does anybody have the same problem? Am I alone? :(

What's your current regimen, if you don't mind me asking?

I would go as far as saying that I used to have a fear of mirrors. I would avoid them at all costs no matter what state my skin was in. I went a couple of years with decent skin after I finished on accutane and I still wouldnt look even then. I would shave in the dark and when doing my hair would bend down so that I could only see my hair.

Things are a little better now. In the right light I can look in the mirror. I have mirrors that I know I can trust. But I almost certainly wont look into one in daylight.

Something that has helped me a lot is to remember that you are your own harshest critic. When you look at yourself in the mirror you pick and poke at all the smallest of imperfections, whether thats a spot or a mole or a scar or a dimple or anything like that. I work on my University campus so I see lots of different people throughout the day, many with acne and many without. When I see someone with a spot or two or more on their face I dont stand there and think "Oh that looks terrible" or "Oh look at those horrible spots". I notice and think nothing more of it. When you see someone's face as a whole it's their natural features that stand out and grab our attention.

Sit back and think for a second- what do you think when you see someone with acne? Do you cringe or turn away? I bet you dont think twice about it!

The mind is a tough thing to control. I completely understand what you are saying and thinking and how hard it is to do be any different. You are definately not alone. But once you try and get some influence over it you go some distance to solving the problem!

I would go as far as saying that I used to have a fear of mirrors. I would avoid them at all costs no matter what state my skin was in. I went a couple of years with decent skin after I finished on accutane and I still wouldnt look even then. I would shave in the dark and when doing my hair would bend down so that I could only see my hair.

Things are a little better now. In the right light I can look in the mirror. I have mirrors that I know I can trust. But I almost certainly wont look into one in daylight.

Something that has helped me a lot is to remember that you are your own harshest critic. When you look at yourself in the mirror you pick and poke at all the smallest of imperfections, whether thats a spot or a mole or a scar or a dimple or anything like that. I work on my University campus so I see lots of different people throughout the day, many with acne and many without. When I see someone with a spot or two or more on their face I dont stand there and think "Oh that looks terrible" or "Oh look at those horrible spots". I notice and think nothing more of it. When you see someone's face as a whole it's their natural features that stand out and grab our attention.

Sit back and think for a second- what do you think when you see someone with acne? Do you cringe or turn away? I bet you dont think twice about it!

The mind is a tough thing to control. I completely understand what you are saying and thinking and how hard it is to do be any different. You are definately not alone. But once you try and get some influence over it you go some distance to solving the problem!

Thanks so much for your encouraging words Christof. They mean more too me than you know it. My mirror phobia has been with me so long. I dont even bother to turn on the lights in the bathroom...only to shower. I know im way too harsh on myself.Im just wishing that a day will come when I will embrace and love the mirror :)

What's your current regimen, if you don't mind me asking?

I dont mind at all. I used to be on doryx for 3 and a half years! But I became resistance. NOW I just started accutane ten days ago. And I just wash my face with over-the-counter face wash. And I apply bp for spot treatment.

I stand as far away from the mirror as possible, and I keep my glasses off..

but recently I've been getting close again. I can't hide from myself forever, I've got to get used to looking like this at some point because I'll be stuck with this face until my death. Really helps to get up close while you're applying makeup too, I found :shifty:

I was proud of myself when I shaved with the lights on for the first time last summer. Really proud of myself. I think I wrote a bit in my log about it. So any steps that you make, whether thats looking in the mirror or something else, remember to congratulate yourself and be proud of your achievements!

I sometimes think it's improving then I'll put my lenses in an it's just loads of horrid red marks. Also, do you get it where, you get up in the morn and the redness seems paler and not as apparent, but as soon as you get washed and moisturise, it's really red again!?

I was proud of myself when I shaved with the lights on for the first time last summer. Really proud of myself. I think I wrote a bit in my log about it. So any steps that you make, whether thats looking in the mirror or something else, remember to congratulate yourself and be proud of your achievements!

So accutane did not work for you?

Ya i hate getting up every morning and looking into the mirror too, i try to stay away from them, but i am always wanting and praying to see myself get better so its hard for me to avoid them. I believe we are our own worst critic too and i have to sit back and get myself to think sometimes that it really isnt that bad, but then again i get sick of seeing it period, so its a constant battle for me.

Edited by JayQ

So accutane did not work for you?

Ya i hate getting up every morning and looking into the mirror too, i try to stay away from them, but i am always wanting and praying to see myself get better so its hard for me to avoid them. I believe we are our own worst critic too and i have to sit back and get myself to think sometimes that it really isnt that bad, but then again i get sick of seeing it period, so its a constant battle for me.

I first took accutane for severe acne in 2004. It cleared my skin but my derm decided to take me off it before I had finished my course. He was an idiot. Just because the acne isnt visible doesnt mean it isnt there. So the acne returned in 2004 and I was on accutane again. This time I completed the course and it stayed away from August 2005 to December 2008. Since ive had two occurances of mild acne but nothing majorly bad.

I used to always look in mirrors, but since I got ance in the past couple months, i avoid them. I hate looking in them and being reminded of whats on my face.

I used to always look in mirrors, but since I got ance in the past couple months, i avoid them. I hate looking in them and being reminded of whats on my face.

I am just the opposite.. After suffering from moderate to severe acne from the last 12 years I have now somewhat accepted it as a part of my life. I have learnt not to let acne dominate my life. I go out and enjoy my life and also work just as hard. I dont care if people think I have spots on my face... I know I am beautiful otherwise and am a good person from inside :) If they judge you by your skin then you dont need such people in your life at all. But from my experience I can tell you that most people never even give a second thought about our spots. Its only the acne sufferers who constantly obsess over our looks.

I have not lost hope. My war against acne is still on full swing :) and someday I hope I will be clear. For 12 years I have tried different treatments with great hope and enthusiasm only to be let down again and again. Most treatmets seem to stop working after a period of time. But the next day I rise again and begin my fight with twice the zeal. I am a fighter and will need more than acne to bring me down.

I do look in mirrors and dare to go out without makeup. With time I have even learnt to laugh off when people comment about my skin beacause it is of no use feeling depressed about it. It will only make the skin worse still. So fellow victims... keep fighthing but never let acne take you down.

Edited by acneVictimFor12Yrs

I am just the opposite.. After suffering from moderate to severe acne from the last 12 years I have now somewhat accepted it as a part of my life. I have learnt not to let acne dominate my life. I go out and enjoy my life and also work just as hard. I dont care if people think I have spots on my face... I know I am beautiful otherwise and am a good person from inside :) If they judge you by your skin then you dont need such people in your life at all. But from my experience I can tell you that most people never even give a second thought about our spots. Its only the acne sufferers who constantly obsess over our looks.

I have not lost hope. My war against acne is still on full swing :) and someday I hope I will be clear. For 12 years I have tried different treatments with great hope and enthusiasm only to be let down again and again. Most treatmets seem to stop working after a period of time. But the next day I rise again and begin my fight with twice the zeal. I am a fighter and will need more than acne to bring me down.

I do look in mirrors and dare to go out without makeup. With time I have even learnt to laugh off when people comment about my skin beacause it is of no use feeling depressed about it. It will only make the skin worse still. So fellow victims... keep fighthing but never let acne take you down.

I commend you for your positive outlook, I really do. Most of the time when I'm with my friends, I forget its there and be myself. When I forget it's there, I stop caring and I'm extremely outgoing. I've never let my ance stop me from doing something, but I do feel uncomfortable with it at times. I hope I can be as positive as you one day.

don't worry your not alone,our own eyes don't see ourselves they only see our bad features,which happen to be acne,most mirrors are in rooms with bright lights anyway, stay happy....

Even though my skin has improved drastically, I still have this problem occasionally, especially in rooms with a lot of natural lighting/bright lighting. It's really easy for us to critique ourselves and obsess over the minutiae, but you have to remember that minutiae is all it really is. I've recently gained a lot of respect for humanity because of how people seem now to overlook physical problems and accept people for who they are on the inside. That doesn't mean that it's any easier for you though, and I understand that. :( The most you can do is try to be confident and strong in everything you do, and you'll find that you are becoming more comfortable with yourself.

I try to avoid mirrors where I can... because I know that looking in them just kills my mood. It doesn't matter how happy I am, I look in a mirror and *boom* - I'm feeling down again. I pity the people who have to look at me... haha.