Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kp335

Gluten caused my acne

Hi Everyone,

After 4 years of acne, I am finally waking up day after day with NO acne. While Retin-A and Duac have helped in the past, acne always can back with a vegence after a few months or even after a year. After seeing 3 dermatologist, 2 physicians, and after trying laser, Retin-A, Duac, Spiro, tons of topical acne creams, I finally found an integrative doctor that found out what was wrong.

She said that she saw many of her patients with acne that also had a gluten intolerance. Sure enough, after a stool test from enterolab, I was diagnosed as gluten intolerant. As hard as it was to give up gluten, 90% of my acne cleared within a week. Now it's 7 months later and my face is now perfectly clear of acne...still have pigmentation from old acne to take care of. If I do have gluten now, I break out worse than I ever had in the past. Overnight I will develop 4-7 cystic ane bumps on my face.

I believe that healing my gut/intestines really cleared my face of that last bump. Supplementation to heal my gut that was advised by my dr. includes L-glutamine, probiotics, digestive enzymes before all meals, and HCl before meals.

I hope this helps someone that has dealt with acne for a long time.

You can get the stool test done from enterlab.com without a dr. prescription. (btw, my cousin was diagnosed as gluten intolerant by the stool test, but the blood test she had done before the stool test did not indicate that she was not allergic to gluten. When she gave up gluten, her acne also stopped.)

See a good Doctor (I saw a intergrative dr. If you are in Colorado, you can go to the Helios clinic in Boulder)

Good Luck!

Thats awesome, what was your diet like before/after these changes. Im not very familiar with gluten, but what food is it in, and what is it not in?

I was pretty low carb, but I still had beer about 2-3x/week and an occasional pastry. This is what kept breaking me out. Gluten is in wheat, rye and barely. So no flour, bread, cereal...

I think I might be in a similar boat as far as gluten goes...

Do you eat other carbs as long as they aren't gluten? and also have you experienced any negative effects from alcohol besides beer?

thanks

I really try to limit my carbs, but I ocassionaly have rice (just love my sushi) and potatos without any ill effects. I also drink about 3-4 glasses of wine per week and it has no affect on my acne.

that's pretty interesting. i'm wondering though, did you have any clues that you were glutten intolerant? like upset stomach or something? because i've been trying to change my diet recently by cutting out dairy, junk food, and high glycemic carbs. i was considering trying to go glutten free but figured i'de give this a shot first. is gluten intolerance something that is noticeable without getting a test done? i have a friend who is glutten intolerant and if she eats bread and such she gets sick. i don't get sick but can i still have an intolerance??

Did you start the gluten-free diet at the same time you began the HCl? Did you happen to clear up 90% within a week of beginning the HCl treatment?

I ask this because I, too, cleared up within a week of using HCl. I cleared up by 80%.

When others have stated that their acne cleared up on a gluten-free diet, most people say it took a month to see results. So I am wondering if your fast results came from the HCl?

I believe gluten is also the source of all my acne (and my weak stomach acid).

Also, when I was at the health food store yesterday (buying my HCl), the clerk at the front counter asked me about my symptoms and about the HCl. She said she was now retired but had worked as a nurse and said I should try a gluten-free diet too. She said that SO many times in the past she had encountered patients who found that a gluten sensitivity was the underlying cause of all their acne.

Edited by Dotty1

I found this explanation of how gluten causes acne:

"So how does gluten contribute to acne?

First let me say acne is a result of blood sugar problems and chronic inflammation. These trigger hormonal reactions that lead to increased sebum production, blocked pores and overgrowth of acne-causing bacteria. For a more detailed explanation, please see: what causes adult acne.

The second link between gluten and acne is inflammation. People with gluten sensitivity cannot digest gluten effectively. As a result they absorb incompletely digested protein molecules. The immune system treats these as invaders. As it attacks these 'invaders' the white cells release histamine, which increases inflammation. Inflammation increases insulin resistance in the nearby cells.

Insulin resistance leads to blood sugar problems, which is linked to acne.

As this happens once in a while, the body can deal with it. But most people are exposed to gluten 3 or more times a day. This, coupled with other inflammatory agents, spreads inflammation all over the body. Suddenly cells all over the body start becoming insulin resistant.

Gluten sensitivity could be the most common food allergy as it is estimated that around 40% of the population is sensitive to gluten."

Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/024956_gluten_acne_health.html

Edited by Dotty1

I did start the HCl treatment, along with with the other supplementation, the first day that I found out about the gluten allergy. I haven't been as diligent in taking the HCl in the last few weeks (I take them about one a day before one meal), but I haven't broken out. I am VERY dilligent about taking all the other supplmentation and also make sure that I am eating well so that my gut heals.

Interesting note: In the book "Primal Body, Primal Mind" the author quotes Jonathan Wright MD as he says that about 90% of Americans produce too little HCl.

Looking at the common ailments for the gluten allergy, I def did not fit the bill. My stomach didn't hurt after I ate gluten (or anything for that matter), I didn't have diarrhea, I wasn't underweight...I was a little bloated, sometimes constipated and though not grossly overweight (maybe 10lbs), I couldn't loose weight no matter what I did...not super typical for gluten allergy...so I thought. After 3 months on the gluten-free diet, I lost 12 lbs effortlessly, was "regular" and def less bloated.

You can try giving up gluten and see what happens. I noticed when I gave up carbs on the Atkins diet about a year and a half ago, my face also cleared up pretty well ~90%. I though it was because of less carbs=less insulin=less inflammation=less acne...but it turns out it was the gluten.

Also, I found out through enterolab that I am also caesin intolerant (basically milk). I still havent been able to give it up for more than a few days, but I still cleared just being off the gluten.

The gluten stool test is $99 and you dont need a doctors prescription. Well worth it if you suspect that gluten is the cause. Saved me so much money down the line...

I think more people on this forum should be aware of the gluten stool test.

I've been reading about Celiac Disease and gluten sensitivity and researchers now believe that at least 30-40% of the US population is at least gluten sensitive.

Although Celiac Disease usually manifests itself as gas, diarrhea, malabsorption, etc., they have found that the MAJORITY of sufferers carry the "silent" version. I suggest everyone Google "Silent Celiac" or "Latent Celiac" and read about it.

Edited by Dotty1

I just found this as a symptom of Celiac Disease:

"Stomach: Delayed gastric emptying, poor protein digestion due to low hydrochloric acid levels causing low pepsin output, gastric ulcerations, and lymphocytic and collagenous gastritis are observed."

Source: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/060109p50.shtml

I certainly can't touch protein without taking 9 pills of HCl with pepsin.

Edited by Dotty1

"Once gluten is eliminated, surface cells of the mucosal lining are replaced within five days. Swelling of the lining subsides in about two weeks, and intestinal permeability improves within two months. Villi structures regenerate within six months but can take five years or more in some cases. Lactose, sucrose, and maltose intolerances improve as villi regain enzyme function.7

The gluten-free diet must be strict to be effective. How much gluten is too much? People vary in their tolerance. Studies show that 25 mg gliadin protein in wheat per day produces symptoms and intestinal changes, but as little as 1 mg/day has been reported to prevent healing; 20 mg gliadin equals 1/8 tsp of flour."

Edited by Dotty1

i don't wanna sound like an idiot, but what is HCI? i'm just starting to get into nutritional approaches to cure acne and am not familiar with everything just yet.

HCl is Hydrochloric Acid. The last letter in the HCl is a smaller case L.

It is 100% stomach acid and it can be purchased at the natural health food store for $10. It is needed in the digestion of protein and for the release of the pepsin enzyme.

My Dr. says that you should take as many HCl before and during a protein meal until you feel some indigestion/pressure in the stomach...then back of by 1 pill at each meal until it stops.

When you stopped eating gluten, did you quit cold turkey, or gradually reduce the amount of gluten you were consuming?

I've had similar success by going gluten free. Although I'm also going dairy and nut free as well. I'm 99% sure gluten sensitivity was the cause of my sudden acne provoked by stress after being clear for a long time.

Its pretty hard to give up gluten, but I'm finding more and more products that are gluten free. I'll admit they don't taste the best, but it sure beats having acne.

My skin cleared up very fast with this as well, less than a month in fact. Potatoes don't seem to be a problem for me either, I'm guessing they don't have gluten in them.

Also I can't say enough good things about digestive enzymes. Even if you don't have acne they are so IMPERATIVE to helping your body break down the food you eat and utilize the nutrients from them. We produce less and less enzymes as we age. I take one every time I eat along with ACV after and its made a HUGE difference.

PANIC

I'm thinking about going on a gluten free diet and am wondering whether I should remove all the gluten foods from my diet immediately or gradually reduce the amount of gluten I'm eating. Anyone know what I should do?

I'm thinking about going on a gluten free diet and am wondering whether I should remove all the gluten foods from my diet immediately or gradually reduce the amount of gluten I'm eating. Anyone know what I should do?

If you can manage to go cold turkey and not quit, then go ahead. Otherwise, I wouldn't do that. I recommend you start a paleo diet. Is gluten free and it also covers so many other aspects (glycemic index, dairy, peanuts, etc) that could cause acne. I would start by adding some paleo meals to your normal daily meals. For example, tomorrow have a paleo lunch, the day after a paleo dinner, some time after have both paleo breakfast and dinner, etc, until you are fully paleo. It will take more time to start the diet but is more manageable for most people.

You might want to give yourself a 2 week introduction. During that time you'll find substitutes for ketchup, soy sauce, tooth paste, oat meal (mostly contaminated with gluten), vitamins, etc.

It can be a bit overwhelming at times.

I have been browsing the gluten forums and just found that there are MANY Celiacs who are already on the no-protein diet because of random edema (swelling).

I was on the no-protein diet for 1.5 years because of acne. Anytime I touched protein, all the zits became inflamed, infected and realllllllllllly swollen. It turns out that gluten lowers certain people's stomach acid so that the protein isn't digested. The protein molecules are absorbed into the bloodstream and water follows them (literally) causing huge amounts of swelling.

Now that I think of it, my knees would swell every time I'd bump them as a teen. That lasted for years. I had to stop running. Now it just happens on my face.

So if anyone notices excessive swelling around pimples or infected spots (spots that turn red and ooz clear liquid when pinched) should consider getting tested for Celiac.

I would also suggest to give it up cold turkey if you can. I didn't in the beginning, having a beer everyweek or a slice of pizza...though my acne cleared quite dramitically at first, I would still break out here and there. Once I went completely off, then I really stopped breaking out for good.

I also agree with the last few posts, digestive enzymes, HCl and probiotics are a must.

I would also suggest to give it up cold turkey if you can. I didn't in the beginning, having a beer everyweek or a slice of pizza...though my acne cleared quite dramitically at first, I would still break out here and there. Once I went completely off, then I really stopped breaking out for good.

I also agree with the last few posts, digestive enzymes, HCl and probiotics are a must.

Yeah Ive been on a gluten/dairy/sugar free diet for about a month and a half now, but for most of that month Id still be eating gluten here and there, and so its hard to tell what the breakouts are from, the only way to know for sure is to cut it out completely (I have since about a week ago).

Unfortunately I cant cut out sugar as easy, gluten is not too hard because its just getting used to a much less varied diet, and you find yourself eating the same stuff over and over again. But with sugar, shit I get sugar cravings like mad at night, I did bad yesterday and ate a whole bunch of (gluten free) jaffa cakes, choc chip cookies and really gave in and had a flake chocolate bar...