Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thunder-storm

Acne stopping me from joining the army

Iv had acne since i was 15, im now 19 and its sort of calmed down since i went on antibiotics. But im left with horrible scarring, it even shines through my make up! But i cant go out the house with no make up on. I feel so ugly!

Iv become really depressed lately because of how acne is affecting my life. I want to join the army! But girls dont have time to fuss about with make up in there and i certainly dont want to be worrying about my skin. But its the reason why i havent applied yet. I really want to be in the army, my dream job is in there.

Iv been waiting a while till my acne has cleared up, but the scarring isnt going away. Its red marks and bumps rather than ice pick scars. Iv been to see someone about laser resurfacing and iv been pretty positive about it. They said i could get it funded but they need to check im eligable and i need a referal letter from my doctor.

I dont even know if this will get rid of it. Il need some time off work and the only time i have for a long while is two weeks very soon. i dont think they will be able to book me an appointment that soon.

I feel so ugly right now, i went to the hospital with no make up on and it felt good because my skin was able to breathe, i felt fresh. But when i saw people i started to shy away and i wore a scarf around my mouth, i felt horrible.

Iv been out with guys that have had acne and it hasnt bothered me, i can see past it. But now that i have it i dont know if il be as lucky to find someone who doesnt care.

To everyone out there who has acne, i feel for ya! Honest i do. People with clear skin have no idea! They'l never understand how having acne can knock you side ways! I really hope some dermatologist out there finds a quick cure to get rid of acne, so peoples self esteem can stay intact and people can enjoy ther lives without feeling down about there skin. If i was a bit more clever id have studied dermatology and tried my best to be that dermatologist to help.

Has anyone ever had laser treatment and had any success??

Guest Chrisâ„¢

I've looked into the army several times aswell, I have bad scars too. A recruiter once told me that having bad scars wouldn't interfere with me being accepted, but I would have to find out at M.E.P.S. (where they send you for evaluation and where you take the army vocation test and where they officially swear you into the army if you get accepted). He told me that they will not reject you based on your scars or acne unless it is so severe that it interferes with you being able to wear a gasmask properly. I don't know why, but I have a feeling that a lot of younger people who join the army actually have some acne, just a hunch though. I know what you mean though by not wanting it to bother you while your in the army, but like the other guy said, I seriously don't think they (or you) will be worried about your scars if you go through with it, you'll probably be too busy running your ass off and doing PT and shit all day until you pass out lol.

PS: I think I read somewhere that if you are in the army they might pay for you to get your scars worked on, I know they will pay for acne treatments, not sure about scars though.

Edited by Chrisâ„¢

That's what's happened to me. I wanted to join the Air Force but did not primarily due to my acne... Which was so severe it would've been a disqual....

Wow! I went through the same thing when I was younger. Worried about not being able to smear my mask on every morning. Now... I wish I would have joined up! The Army takes good care of its people. You'll figure out away to fade those scars...even if its just waiting it out. Just imagine yourself where you want to be down the road...in charge of a team, performing the job you love, with a nice place to live, plenty of cash for fun, and scars that have faded into HISTORY.

I would say that in the army the last thing they worry about is your skin.

They got alot more important things to do

Yep, they pretty much accept anybody with a pulse.

The Army will accept anything that breathes, but the ONLY way you wouldn't be allowed to join due to your acne, is if you were on Accutane, and even that I don't think will disqualify you, it might put you on a 6 month wait for bootcamp.

I went through the Air Force BMT and i remember a girl there with really bad acne and she couldn't wear makeup, not biggie. Seriously, you are so stressed and busy you could care a less about makeup and acne

Guest Chrisâ„¢

I've actually looked into it a lot in the past, been to a couple of recruiters for info. They actually are a bit picky when accepting people these days which is surprising considering the wars lately. They won't accept you at all if you've been on accutane in the last year, they will issue you antibiotics and stuff though (which prob won't work but hey). They also evaluate you mentally, they won't accept you if you have a number of mental disorders.

Here's a link that explains everything about military standards and disqualifying conditions if anyone's interested:

Military standards and Disqualifying conditions

The only case I have ever heard from a recruiter about not allowing someone join the forces due to acne, was for America's Vietnam War. Only if it was extremely bad cystic acne, they wouldn't allow you to join/serve in Vietnam because the conditions would've been horrendous for your skin.