Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newtothisstuff

Important question about Retin-A

I know you're not supposed to use Retin-A and Salycilic acid together because of the way they interact. I'm wondering though, Can I use Retin-A at night, then a Salycilic acid toner in the morning? I'm using Retin-A 0.025 for blackheads and whiteheads, and I've only been on it for a week now. I can already tell that it's helping to unclog my pores, but it's making me super oily. Especially when I first wake up in the morning. This seems kind of opposite of what I've heard it's supposed to do....I'm not in the least bit dry. Why is this?

Which one are you on the cream or the gel? I am interested on the responses to this because I went to my derm for oily skin and he prescribed me retin a .05%. And to wash with pan oxyl 5 % wash.

I am skeptical to go on this because everyone who has gone on retin a claim that they are oilier.

Which one are you on the cream or the gel? I am interested on the responses to this because I went to my derm for oily skin and he prescribed me retin a .05%. And to wash with pan oxyl 5 % wash.

I am skeptical to go on this because everyone who has gone on retin a claim that they are oilier.

I'm on the cream .025. I've actually heard the opposite from what you've heard. From nearly every review that I've read, retin-a makes the skin really dry and flakey in the beginning. I think the gel is supposed to be more drying though. I was surprised that your derm prescribed both retin-a and the pan oxyl. Does the retin-a and benzoyl peroxide not interfere with one another?

I don't know to be honest. Everything I know is from reading stuff online or on acne.org. The doctors doesn't explain anything and sometimes what he says is conflicted by tons of people who are experiencing it first hand. I don't know who to trust anymore. The derm just wants to get you in and out of the office and doesn't even ask any questions. It's so frusterating. I did not start retin a and want to get another opinion.

I've just started Differin recently, so it hasn't been long enough for me to see if it will make me more oily. However, back in the summer I was using a alpha hydroxy lotion every night, and my face did appear more oily. I've never read a doctor's explanation as to why the skin appears more oily when using exfoliates, but I'm guessing it's because the pores are more open and the oil is able to come to surface and drain, instead of getting trapped in the pores. Does anyone agree? (versus it actually making your body produce more oil)

I think someone with more info on the Retin-A & SA combo can give you better info, but I would think that using a face wash for oily skin (something more drying than what you're currently using) would do the trick. Good luck!

Personally guys when i first started retin-a for oily skin i had the exact result. However after the first 2 weeks about my skin got dryer, and dryer....gotta give it some time its a slow working drug ive been on it for 3 months now and if i don't use a moisturizer in the morning im screwed....Hope that helps gl guys

I don't know to be honest. Everything I know is from reading stuff online or on acne.org. The doctors doesn't explain anything and sometimes what he says is conflicted by tons of people who are experiencing it first hand. I don't know who to trust anymore. The derm just wants to get you in and out of the office and doesn't even ask any questions. It's so frusterating. I did not start retin a and want to get another opinion.

I completely agree! My derm. spent less than five minutes with me, and it is so frustrating. I just wanted to let you know; the retin-a IS working very well. If you haven't started it..you may want to. It does make my skin red, and I am peeling now. It's working so well though and I'm only on my third week. At first I didn't think the 0.025 would be enough, but it is! I don't want to go to a higher percentage.

I've just started Differin recently, so it hasn't been long enough for me to see if it will make me more oily. However, back in the summer I was using a alpha hydroxy lotion every night, and my face did appear more oily. I've never read a doctor's explanation as to why the skin appears more oily when using exfoliates, but I'm guessing it's because the pores are more open and the oil is able to come to surface and drain, instead of getting trapped in the pores. Does anyone agree? (versus it actually making your body produce more oil)

I think someone with more info on the Retin-A & SA combo can give you better info, but I would think that using a face wash for oily skin (something more drying than what you're currently using) would do the trick. Good luck!

That's an interesting point. I never really thought of how it might be opening my poors and letting the oil drain right out. It's strange though, because during the day, I am SO so so oily. At night though, after I wash my face, I feel dry and tight. I am finally peeling quite a bit though, so I think it's working. I don't really feel the need to add the SA to my routine anymore.

Personally guys when i first started retin-a for oily skin i had the exact result. However after the first 2 weeks about my skin got dryer, and dryer....gotta give it some time its a slow working drug ive been on it for 3 months now and if i don't use a moisturizer in the morning im screwed....Hope that helps gl guys

That seems to be how it's working for me too!