Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mhodgman50

Accutane Again?

Hey guys,

I took Accutane last year from January 2009 to August 2009. Here was my doses:

1st Month: 20 mg

2nd Month (Weeks 4-6): 40 mg

(Weeks 7-8): nothing (too high GGT levels)

3rd Month: 40 mg

4th Month: 60 mg

5th Month: 40 mg (high GGT again, wished I coulda gone to 80mg!!!)

6th Month: 40 mg

7th Month: 40 mg

8th - 8 1/2 Month: 40 (Finishing off what I missed in month 2)

I'm not sure, but I feel like I would have stayed clear if I could have been on 80 mg for some of those months, even if I was on a shorter time with the same cumulative dose. I started out at 188 pounds and ended at 171...cuz I had to stop lifting to keep my GGT a lil lower, and when I did that I ate less so I wouldn't get fat. Idk, its a tough choice. I've worked very, very hard gaining back all the muscle and strength I lost during accutane, and to loose it again just f***** sucks. idk why my derm office has to check GGT, when I they told me themselves (comically) that other offices don't even check for it. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'll give accutane another chance if it will actually be permanent but if not, there's absolutely no point. My acne's not thaaat bad right now, I doubt theyd even perscribe me it yet, but its enough that my face is definetely not clear. Any good advice on a second course or ways to keep down GGT levels on blood tests? Thanks in advance, Matt

Hey guys,

I'm not sure, but I feel like I would have stayed clear if I could have been on 80 mg for some of those months, even if I was on a shorter time with the same cumulative dose. I started out at 188 pounds and ended at 171...cuz I had to stop lifting to keep my GGT a lil lower, and when I did that I ate less so I wouldn't get fat. Idk, its a tough choice. I've worked very, very hard gaining back all the muscle and strength I lost during accutane, and to loose it again just f***** sucks. idk why my derm office has to check GGT, when I they told me themselves (comically) that other offices don't even check for it. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'll give accutane another chance if it will actually be permanent but if not, there's absolutely no point. My acne's not thaaat bad right now, I doubt theyd even perscribe me it yet, but its enough that my face is definetely not clear. Any good advice on a second course or ways to keep down GGT levels on blood tests? Thanks in advance, Matt

Instead of taking Accutane and just temporarily fixing your problem, you should look into your diet especially if your eating high calories. I was eating a #h-it load of calories and didn't realize I had a few food sensitivities that were making me break out. As soon as I figured that out, my skin is way better and I'll be clear soon. The best part of it all is I only use water and Jojoba oil on my face. No more acne products at all...

Post your diet and we can help you out better...

PANIC

Hey guys,

Instead of taking Accutane and just temporarily fixing your problem, you should look into your diet especially if your eating high calories. I was eating a #h-it load of calories and didn't realize I had a few food sensitivities that were making me break out. As soon as I figured that out, my skin is way better and I'll be clear soon. The best part of it all is I only use water and Jojoba oil on my face. No more acne products at all...

PANIC

Hey, my diet's mostly chicken (not fried), cold cuts like turkey and ham, raw fruits and vegetables, and sometimes meat (like steak). Breakfast is more random, usually fruit or sometimes a bagel. I do eat these in large quantities because of how many I burn each day. What foods made you break out? I'm really curious

Hey guys,

PANIC

Hey, my diet's mostly chicken (not fried), cold cuts like turkey and ham, raw fruits and vegetables, and sometimes meat (like steak). Breakfast is more random, usually fruit or sometimes a bagel. I do eat these in large quantities because of how many I burn each day. What foods made you break out? I'm really curious

I'm a hardcore gym rat as well. Was eating well over 3,000-3,500 calories a day sometimes because I was bulking. I was under A LOT of stress at my job and it lasted for almost 5 months straight. Suddenly I started breaking out. I quit my job and was STILL breaking out and then started to connect it with my diet.

Turned out I developed a strong sensitivity to gluten. Where as before certain breads would break me out, now its literally anything containing gluten doesn't agree with my system.

I did two things; I bought psyllium husk to help flush out my colon and make me get rid of waste easier. And I started taking digestive enzymes with every meal while completely avoiding gluten.

I get my carbs from brown rice and gluten free products I buy at the health store.

Your diet looks pretty clean, for the most part but bagels are a big no no.

I personally avoid gluten, dairy and nuts in general now and it keeps me clear.

Best thing to do in your situation is educate yourself on gluten. Then start eliminating gluten and dairy and see how you react.

I know how you feel bro, losing size sucks after all the hard work. If you do have a food sensitivity you can avoid taking Accutane again and get rid of your acne at the same time.

My diet is high protein, moderate carb, high healthy fat (omegas) and tons of green veggies and water.

Hit me up if you have any more questions, good luck.

PANIC

Hey guys,

PANIC

I'm a hardcore gym rat as well. Was eating well over 3,000-3,500 calories a day sometimes because I was bulking. I was under A LOT of stress at my job and it lasted for almost 5 months straight. Suddenly I started breaking out. I quit my job and was STILL breaking out and then started to connect it with my diet.

Turned out I developed a strong sensitivity to gluten. Where as before certain breads would break me out, now its literally anything containing gluten doesn't agree with my system.

I did two things; I bought psyllium husk to help flush out my colon and make me get rid of waste easier. And I started taking digestive enzymes with every meal while completely avoiding gluten.

I get my carbs from brown rice and gluten free products I buy at the health store.

Your diet looks pretty clean, for the most part but bagels are a big no no.

I personally avoid gluten, dairy and nuts in general now and it keeps me clear.

Best thing to do in your situation is educate yourself on gluten. Then start eliminating gluten and dairy and see how you react.

I know how you feel bro, losing size sucks after all the hard work. If you do have a food sensitivity you can avoid taking Accutane again and get rid of your acne at the same time.

My diet is high protein, moderate carb, high healthy fat (omegas) and tons of green veggies and water.

Hit me up if you have any more questions, good luck.

PANIC

Hey man - this is by far the best advice I've got from anyone on this site. Thanks a lot! I'm gonna try this before I consider another round of accutane. The dairy and nuts seem to affect my acne (I've been home from college having it for a few days and I've broken out pretty bad), but it's definitely not the route problem. The gluten just may be it! or a major one. It's nice to hear from someone else whose a gym rat too lol. I really appreciate the time and thought you've put into the responces you've given me.

Have a great day man

- Matt

How do you avoid gluten? Isn't it in everything?

I've ruled out almost everything but my diet and cigarettes from the list of what causes mine. :doh: