Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brissyguy

Sleeping Aids?

Guys, It's past 1am and I'm still awake (very common for me for the past few years unfortunately). Has anyone tried anything that aids the sleeping process? I tried OTC sleeping pills with Valerian root a few years ago but that didn't work. I don't want to use sleeping pills ...

Has anyone found anything that works for them?

Zinc, magnesium, fish oil, epsom salt baths, sunlight/bright light exposure in the daytime, dim light in evening, total darkness when sleeping. Mimic as nature as much as possible. Exercise. Eat tryptophan containing foods.

More good things for sleep. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...t&p=2576850

Why are you awake? Are you stressed about something?

Edited by alternativista

you should try melatonin. I had severe insomnia for the last 5 years and i still have insomnia. But if i take melatonin i can get to bed as early as i want to. If i don't take it i won't sleep possibly at all.

I thought melatonin was released in the body? I take CLO, Zinc with magnesium and mimic daylight patterns ... I'm not stressed out. I haven't been this relaxed for a while. The only thing stressful is skin but yeah. I don't know. I read a book for a few hours last night and I ended up sleeping =]

Melatonin works like a god damn charm. I don't toss, turn and think before I go to sleep anymore and I don't wake up feeling groggy. Seriously, give it a go. Only con is that your dreams might become more vivid, I.E, if you have a nightmare, be prepared for a vivid one.

Ughhh valerian! That stuff made me feel feverish and delusional and smelled like pot. Yuck.

I'd recommend doing really intense exercise for a while during the day. I always sleep like a rock after hiking or doing capoeira. :D

I'll chime in with Melatonin aswell, it doesnt do miracles and my tolerance to it builds up after about 2 weeks of constant use but it does help me sleep.

I used to be really bad for sleeping, tossing and turning completely awake all night till the sun came up. With melatonin I can get to sleep within 2 or 3 hours of getting into bed (thats pretty good for me).

5-Htp is also supposed to work by producing more seratonin (which converts to melatonin), its also supposed to have a bunch of other mental health benefits, i tried it for a couple of days but I think it made me break out and Im scared to try it again.

But in the meantime Im sticking with melatonin, also trying some valerian root soon hopefully.

Thanks guys! I do exercise every few days but someone told me that change in exercise activity can break you out - I'm doubtful not to believe everything people tell me nowadays anyway so I'll take that with a pinch of salt.

I tried Valerian - eugh. I don't mind vivid dreams - I hardly have any! Freaky dreams will be a change and a really intense good dream would be good (I've missed them).

What product are you guys using for the melatonin?

After seeing this thread I just ordered some melatonin off ebay to help sleeping and to aid in becoming lucid :dance:

Looking forward to it arriving.

I would recommend meditation and shutting down the computer and tv 30 minutes before sleep time. I don't think you need another supplement for sleep on top of your big list ;)

What product are you guys using for the melatonin?

I use Swansons brand melatonin but any will do really.

A lot of people recommend 3mg to start of with, but for a lot of people a smaller dose works better then a big one (a big one can make you feel quite groggy in the morning).

I find that 1.5mg about 20 minutes before going to bed works best for me, it also helps you wake up easier I find.

I thought melatonin was released in the body? I take CLO, Zinc with magnesium and mimic daylight patterns ... I'm not stressed out. I haven't been this relaxed for a while. The only thing stressful is skin but yeah. I don't know. I read a book for a few hours last night and I ended up sleeping =]

It does. It makes it from seratonin which is made from tryptophan and some other nutrients and is triggered by daylight and some other things like exercise. Is this daylight you are getting?

I went to the health food store and paid just over $20 (I know...) for melatonin. Buying it off iherb and shipping would of been slightly cheaper but I'm totally over waiting for delivery.

It's 400mg and it says 'Melatonin 6x'. So I hear many people take around 1.5-3mg so I took all in all 4 pills which works out to be 1.6mg.

It's really weird because I don't know if I actually fell asleep as I do feel quite groggy.

However; listen to the good part.

I woke up at 8am. Didn't know if I slept or not, feeling really confused as I do sometimes when you don't know if you've slept or not. I went to the bathroom, went back to bed and had 3 hours of sleep! It seriously felt like a whole night! I guess the light from outside was really gloomy so I thought it was night.

I had a vivid dream too. I love them, albeit started good, ended bad.

I'm going to continue taking 3 melatonin pills before bed, see if anything improves.

I don't think it kicked in for AGES though because I had to read a book for hours before sleeping a little sleepy. I might crush it up next time or something or take it sublingually, dunno.

I had some melatonin last night for the first time in ages so I had no tolerance, and bloody hell I had some extremely vivid dreams, I think about 7 in total (I remember most of them quite well right now), They were all long as hell aswell.

I also recently tried Valerian root and goddamn does it pong, I was sat at the computer thinking my clothes or feet stunk, which is rare because I usually smell pretty damn nice, and then I realised it was the bottle of valerian root causing the stink. Didnt do too good for sleeping either, made me really itchy for starters (allergic?) and I didnt get to sleep too easily, although it did make me feel ever so slightly drowsy.

The thing is that you have to also employ good sleep hygiene. Melatonin isnt a silver bullet, if you work against it. Subdued lighting is really a key, most especially no computers for at least one hour prior to bed time. Bright lights can inhibit natural melatonin production or reset the schedule.

From what I've been told, a dose up to 6 mg. for adults can be taken. (I'd only use this amount for short term therapy, though.) One sleep researcher suggests a three week regimen, then a slow taper off. If you employ good sleep habits over the three week period, as the supplemental melatonin is decreased, your own natural production should increase; however, both of my kids have been taking 3 mg. every night for years with success and without ill effects.