Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, im Matt and im 17. I had my first meeting with my derm 3 days ago who has given me 50mg of isotretinoin daily for 6 months. She seemed pretty quick to give it to me even though my skin was looking pretty good when i saw her (i presume because i have been through 3 rounds of antibiotics to little avail for my persistent mild-mod acne).

I spend a lot of time thinking about my skin and dont make eye contact that much. I used to have girls interested in me, not so much anymore (lower self esteem as much as acne i presume). I went on holiday last summer and got completely clear and i felt like a new person. I long for that feeling again and I think accutane is my answer.

The pills are at the end of my bed and after breaking out a bit last night im close to popping the first pill. The long term side effects people post worry me and does my dosage seems high (im 145 pounds)?? The first sign of serious effect (substantial hair loss, serious joint pain) im out of there but i think i need to give this a go. I want to be free, i want to enjoy college, i dont want to have to worry about skin, I want to be able to get in a relationship without feeling self conscious, i dont want any more creams or lotions to depend on. I understand i could still naturally lose acne but i want to make these college years the best of my life, i want to travel europe and not have a care in the world.

My derm only really spoke of dry skin - is she indicating for my dosage that would be the most likely effect? Any effects during the course dont worry me but the people who say "accutane gave me arthritis 5yrs later" do but then i question there correlation and circumstances.

Anyway im going to do a video log so i can monitor my progress and perhaps share with you my journey in more detail than pictures give. Im 75% sure of taking the drug which i think is as sure as im going to get. Any advice would be appreciated especially in terms of stunted growth :S ??

Everyone's experiences (with anything) will always be different, especially with medications. No one can tell you, you will get this or you won't get that. Please remember this forum(and all of the internet) is a public message board and anyone can post anything. Read what you can, but take it all and sort through it.

I am only the first month of accutane (but am MUCH older than you) and have been battling this for years. I have been fine. Tired, and dry lips, but that's all so far. You will be seeing your doctor every single month, you can stop any time you want, if that is what you choose. Accutane has been around for many years, and studied extensively. The common side effects are well known. You can find all kinds of potential side effects from any medication, from cold medicine to aspirin or Tylenol. Take your time and make an informed decision. Not one from desparation or fear. My advice is to ask as many questions as you want and be sure you are comfortable with your own choice, not some one else's choice. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for your help, i think fear is the main thing right now. Along with the side effects I fear for an initial breakout worse than ive ever had. Does starting on a relatively high dose (50mg) increase the chance of breakout along with other side effects?

not necessarily, but in most circumstances the higher a med dose, the increase risk of side effects.

Taking accutane is ultimately your decision. I was on minocycline and tetracycline (not at the same time ;) ) for about 2 years. There was only little improvement in my skin and I would often times get headaches where as I never did before I was on the drugs and haven't since I have been off them (1 year).

I advise anyone to NOT take any prescription drugs or apply any topical treatment to there skin that is prescribed by a DERM. It is possible for anyone to have clear skin through a healthy lifestyle. But, like I said, it is ultimately your decision.

I am more than happy to guide you through living a healthy lifestyle in order to have clear skin through a holistic approach. Just shoot me a message if you want my help. :D

Taking accutane is ultimately your decision. I was on minocycline and tetracycline (not at the same time ;) ) for about 2 years. There was only little improvement in my skin and I would often times get headaches where as I never did before I was on the drugs and haven't since I have been off them (1 year).

I advise anyone to NOT take any prescription drugs or apply any topical treatment to there skin that is prescribed by a DERM. It is possible for anyone to have clear skin through a healthy lifestyle. But, like I said, it is ultimately your decision.

I am more than happy to guide you through living a healthy lifestyle in order to have clear skin through a holistic approach. Just shoot me a message if you want my help. :D

You must have followed Seppo Pausea book "Clear for Life" I bought that and he explains all those tips that you mentioned and it never worked out for me.

bro, just do it 50mg a day isn't even a lot. I weigh basically the same as you and my derm put me on 80mgs a day. And i'm doing well so far, I'm a college student as well. And i'm about 2 weeks in.

Are you serious? Everyone can have clear skin through a healthy lifestyle? That is ridiculous. I'll give you that it can't hurt and may help improve one's skin. However, I know for myself that it's genetics and hormones.

[color=#800080]This is my point about people giving all kinds of advice. Don't let anyone say always or never, it's just not the case with medications and/or holistic approaches. We wouldn't have a problem if there was one clear cut solution to everyone's acne problem. I again stress making an INFORMED decision that is right FOR YOU.

Hey, while taking vitamin b6 and vitamin D, my skin has been getting ALOT better. I still have a bunch of small little pimples and I'm kinda sure they will go away. I'm not sure if it's the vitamins helping me or not, but I know my acne could possible be on and off.

Now my doctor has recommended me a dermatologist. I'm thinking on going on 30mg/daily of accutaine, but I'm very confused on what I should do. I don't know if my skin is finally clearing now... it might be. But I wouldn't want to have off, and on, acne... If I go on accutane theres a chance that I will never have a problem with acne ever again.

>.<

I just don't know what I should do. I do know acne has greatly reduced my confidence and socializing skills. I would like to be as I was, before acne.

I'm 28 and just finished my first month on 80mg/day. I've experienced a few side effects, but nothing too bad(so far). I have 3 more months to go.

I wish I would have tried Accutane about 10 years ago. If it works, it would have been one of the best decisions of my life.

I think anyone who has decided on accutane has been worried about potential risks.

I avoided accutane and literally tried everything first.

I regret not having tried it sooner.

Its up to you

I don't personally know anyone who has had horrible effects. All I know of the horrors of accutane has come from postings on message boards - where there are far more good stories than bad ones.

In the end no one here can tell you anything that is really going to be useful to you in your decision making process. If you want to take it badly enough you will.

everyone is different and will react differently. i would wait until your acne ever gets severe but you say its not. you also say youre clear so i would wait till using accutane as a last resort because accutane is literally a last resort to treating acne. really think about it. a lot people never looked back but then there are those who do every single day. i dont want to scare you but i just want you to think about it because you may think you have made the wrong decision. i am not a doctor, however i am working on it actually, but i really dont think you need it based on what you have told. if you are hesitant then do more research and gain more knowledge. dont look for all the good results of accutane but also look for the negative things. anyways good luck man.

Edited by dykim90

Any effects during the course dont worry me but the people who say "accutane gave me arthritis 5yrs later" do but then i question there correlation and circumstances.

These people could have assumed that accutame is the reason they got arthritis, Arthritis can be caused by soo many things. Like typing on the keyboard A LOT. or breaking a bone. ect. accutane may be the cause but has it been scientifically proven to do so? My cousin was on Accutane and he's got no problems now and clear skin! I'm taking accutane right now and i feel like crap most of the time but it'll be done in about 3 months so im pretty excited for that haha. I wish you luck!

Yeah man.

I'm in the same exact boat with you.

Just got my initial blood work done today and if it turns out positive I get the go to start.

Persistant acne is the worst, I become a brand new person when I'm clear and I really hope this is just the end of acne.

Let's start together :D

Thanks for all the feedback. Its not so much the physical degree of my acne that it is the problem its the phycological effect it has on me.

I worry that if i take accutane, years after i will be paranoid of side-effects even if they have no grounding in the drug but ultimately it might as well have been for the phycological frustration of 'messing' with my own body. Thats the problem i suppose with a drug with such a wide variety of possible effects.

You must have followed Seppo Pausea book "Clear for Life" I bought that and he explains all those tips that you mentioned and it never worked out for me.

Yes, I own his book and have used it as a guide. It never worked out for you, yea? Do you have any idea why this may be so? How much of a chance did you give it?

Are you serious? Everyone can have clear skin through a healthy lifestyle? That is ridiculous. I'll give you that it can't hurt and may help improve one's skin. However, I know for myself that it's genetics and hormones.

You are 100% correct that it is hormones and genetics. The lifestyle you live effects these 2 things significantly.

And yes, I fully believe EVERYONE can have clear skin through a healthy lifestyle. What I define as a healthy lifestyle may be different then how you define it. It's not ridiculous. And you are right again, it can't hurt. It will ONLY significantly decrease your chances of getting any disease and will allow you to enjoy yourself like never before... along with many other things including having clear skin. :D

This is my point about people giving all kinds of advice. Don't let anyone say always or never, it's just not the case with medications and/or holistic approaches. We wouldn't have a problem if there was one clear cut solution to everyone's acne problem. I again stress making an INFORMED decision that is right FOR YOU.

There is no one clear cut solution to everyone's acne problem. Living a healthy lifestyle consists of several components. It is best to slowly improve on each element as life goes on. There is no "cure" for acne. If you change your lifestyle for the better and have clear skin but then fall back to your other lifestyle then your acne has an excellent chance of coming back.

But, developing a happy and healthy lifestyle allows you to change how you view life, dramatically increases your happiness, and causes you to make a difference in life along with countless other things.

It's fun to do. The journey is a pleasant ride. Any other questions, comments, or concerns regarding what I have said?

Thanks for all the feedback. Its not so much the physical degree of my acne that it is the problem its the phycological effect it has on me.

I worry that if i take accutane, years after i will be paranoid of side-effects even if they have no grounding in the drug but ultimately it might as well have been for the phycological frustration of 'messing' with my own body. Thats the problem i suppose with a drug with such a wide variety of possible effects.

If the only problem about your acne is that it gives you stress, then don't you think that increasing your stress threshold and adding happiness into your life is the best way to go? This is where you should start. Then, slowly improve your diet, start to exercise if you don't now, etc.

I would be more than happy to help you with the stress part of your acne. Shoot me a message if you want free advice. :D

Guest DireStraits
Yeah man.

Just got my initial blood work done today and if it turns out positive I get the go to start.

Persistant acne is the worst, I become a brand new person when I'm clear and I really hope this is just the end of acne.

Never knew Cavemen took accutane.

Yeah man.

fuck that cavemen bullshit. how the hell do you know cavemen did not have acne? i bet their face rotted the same way their teeth did.

Guest DireStraits
Yeah man.

fuck that cavemen bullshit. how the hell do you know cavemen did not have acne? i bet their face rotted the same way their teeth did.

Wtf? Calm down dude geez lighten up it was just a smart ass comment plus I never said cavemen didn't have acne.

FFS talk about a random outburst.