Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Panic!!

Help me figure out if I have Candida?

Hey all,

I know there's been a lot of talk of Candida and Leaky Gut on the board lately and I've been researching both of them for about a month now. I wanted some help in figuring out if I have it or not. I'm a 29 year old male by the way. Who was clear for the past several years until I was under severe severe stress at my job for nearly 5 months straight. I know this definitely compromised my immune system and around this time I started to notice my new food sensitivities.

I've always been a heavy BP user during this last several years as well. Since I started this routine I only wash my face with warm water twice a day and have been using lime juice to help fade my red marks.....

Symptoms:

Cheek and beard line cystic like acne - (definitely different acne than I had in my late teens early twenties)

Dandruff, itchy scalp - (pretty sure this is genetic and I've had it for a while)

Itchy skin in general

food sensitivities: notice acne anywhere from a few hours to 2 days after eating offending foods

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the past month I've gone gluten, dairy, wheat and nut free and have noticed a huge improvement in my skin. In fact I've barely got any acne since I've made these changes and the existing ones I had all vanished really quickly except for one cyst on my right side. I have some red marks that are fading nicely with lime juice that I've been using daily.

I'm also doing a colon cleanse (week 2) and I definitely think that's helping a lot as well.

My diet:

protein: eggs, chicken, fish (avoiding beef since I started the diet)

carbs: lots of green veggies, gluten free rice cereal, quinoa crackers, no fruits at all

fats: cod liver oil and grape seed oil

supplements: niacin, cod liver oil, apple cider vinegar, digestive enzymes, herbs from colon cleanse

So I'm happy that what I'm doing is working and its only been one month, so I plan on keeping this up for at least 3 months in total before I re-introduce any foods back into my diet. But I wanted all you who have gone through Candida and those who currently are to chime in here.

I did the spit test a month ago and within 10 minutes the legs appeared and my spit sank to the bottom of the cup. I did it again the other day and the spit floated for quite a while, before some of it sank and had some legs at the top. I know its been said that the test isn't accurate by some.

I don't have bad breath, I don't have a white coated tongue at all.

So what do you guys think? Are there any changes you suggest I make? Are there any other symptoms I should look out for? Any other ways to know if I have candida for sure?

Thanks for any help

PANIC

Well I do believe that having a white coated tongue is one of the biggest signs of candida overgrowth. Also, what has your diet been like from your childhood until now? One of the main causes of candida overgrowth is poor diet. So if you've been eating somewhat well your whole life and don't have those main symptoms, I would say no.

Well I do believe that having a white coated tongue is one of the biggest signs of candida overgrowth. Also, what has your diet been like from your childhood until now? One of the main causes of candida overgrowth is poor diet. So if you've been eating somewhat well your whole life and don't have those main symptoms, I would say no.

Hey bro,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually a complete health freak and I've been that way for the past 12 years. My diet before all this happened was high carb, high protein, high calorie overall. All my carbs were from whole grains, veggies and fruit. The only dairy I ate was cheese a couple times a week. My protein was similar to what it is now, except A LOT more of it and lean beef as well. I also drank alcohol on the weekends usually 1-2 a week max. I didn't drink any soda or juice and rarely ate any fast food...

Prior to the stress situation I would get a pimple here and there. I also used as I mentioned, BP at night and Cetaphil in the morning with a moisturizer.

So to me its obvious that something happened between then and now. The only other difference is I haven't been working out at all because I have an injured shoulder. Working out was a huge part of my life and until my shoulder gets better I have to stay away from weights. I do walk everyday and still stay active.

I do believe I've had some die off symptoms from the colon cleanse I'm on. Got the chills and flu like symptoms last weekend and just slept it off. Have some congestion right now, but feeling much better from just rest.

I just really wanna figure out what I have so I can attack the right thing. Its frustrating guessing and trying so many different things.

As I mentioned, this whole plan IS working really well, but I'd hate to have to eat this way forever.

PANIC

Edited by Panic!!

Well based on that, I would say no to candida overgrowth, but hey I'm not a doctor! I know what you mean about the dieting, it does suck. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and for some reason I bought some frozen pizzas and a bag of chips. I already ate the bag of chips and suffering the consequences, but I have an interview on Monday (soooo nervous) so I think I'll probably just juice fast until then and hopefully my skin will be at it's best.

Well based on that, I would say no to candida overgrowth, but hey I'm not a doctor! I know what you mean about the dieting, it does suck. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and for some reason I bought some frozen pizzas and a bag of chips. I already ate the bag of chips and suffering the consequences, but I have an interview on Monday (soooo nervous) so I think I'll probably just juice fast until then and hopefully my skin will be at it's best.

HAHAHA!! Yeah definitely know how you feel. I've been INCREDIBLY strict with my diet. When I first started I was eating some dried dates but stopped that a couple weeks ago. My sugar intake is pretty low probably around 10-25 g a day max. I'm probably gonna ditch the rice cereal and switch over to a bit of brown rice and continue the quinoa crackers.

I've been dying lately with all the junk food that's around me; girl scout cookies, soda, ice cream, cheese crackers etc. But I've got incredible will power and haven't slipped once.

I'm still left scratching my head as to my food sensitivities and itchy skin.... two big signs of potential yeast over growth...

PANIC

I would recommend for you to go get a food sensitivity test at a naturepath to maybe figure out any allergies u might have.

I would recommend for you to go get a food sensitivity test at a naturepath to maybe figure out any allergies u might have.

Hey Dance,

Thanks for the reply; that's actually my next step. Found a great naturo-path that does food sensitivity testing. Problem is the whole deal is pretty expensive and money is tight right now.

PANIC