Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yowasup

Accutane and Pre-Epiphyseal Closure

So I'm sure many of you have already read some of my posts, and if you think I'm a crazy lunatic just don't read what I have to say.

I believe that my growth was stunted as a result of my Accutane treatment (I took accutane while I was still growing when I was 15). I had a projected height of 6'2", and I am now 18 and only 5'8". I checked out my growth charts, and I noticed that during my accutane treatment my growth slowed rapidly. I dropped something like 14 percentile points in one year. And I know some of you are going to say "well, you can't be sure that Accutane caused your stunted growth because of the fact that you don't have sufficient proof like a bone-age test". Well, my growth chart speaks for itself.

Edited by yowasup

could you be more helpful by telling us the specifics such as how long you on accutane, the dosage you were on each month, and how much you weighed. Also did you have any other side effects from accutane? Are you healthy person, do you exercise if so, how much. And also how severe was your acne. Did you use any other prior medication. Thank you in advance.

as oli girl said it does cause problems.. but as far as projected height - that is many times INCREDIBLY inaccurate. I was projected to be 6'8.. thankfully I'm only 6'3. I know many people with similar stories. I am sorry you did not reach your potential height, and it could very well be the tane, but might be other factors as well

projected height calculators calculate projected height within 2 inches of someones actual height 90 percent of the time. i was off by 6 inches.

projected height calculators calculate projected height within 2 inches of someones actual height 90 percent of the time. i was off by 6 inches.

Yowasup- Did you ever go have a xray to show the closure. If not I advise you do.

well this isn't credible at all. And what's the point of coming on these forums to tell us that this happened? And don't even say it's from the goodness of your heart. Because honestly, you would attract more people if you went to media, wrote letters, etc.

And if you're not going to give me any of the most important information than it's useless. And OILGIRL are you ignorant or something, different dosages, health condition, etc can impact a lot. Take a chemistry class or something. The case studies that showed this pre0epiphyseal closure dealt with high doses of accutane.

BrazilianJJ- It's okay I take you either are about to start your accutane course or just did...I am not going to debate with you though, If you read page 10 it clearly states by Roche the following.....Theres more individual studies too........

Page 10

There are spontaneous reports of of premature epiphyseal clousre in acne patients reciving recommended doses of Accutane. The effect of mutiple accutane courses on epiphyseal closure is unknown. This has been on the rx info since it first came out for acne treatment.

Will it happen to you, maybe not...but don't discredit whats out there, do a search if your so interested about this side effect, others have posted along with mothers regarding thier experince of epiphyseal closure.

I am just stating that dosage, wieght etc...really doesn't matter relating to this.

It has to, for every effect theres a cause. Some people must be more susceptible to certain side effects. Certain traits and extraneous info of the person do account for certain side effects that are more prone than one person is another.

And yes I am 2 weeks into accutane on 80mgs a day. And so far, the side effects I have are moderately dry lips, some mild headaches in the morning that go away after drinking water, and just recently i've noticed some soreness in my lower back and neck. And i did notice one of my arms felt dead like i had slept on my arm one day. Other than that this relatively high dose has been doing well for and i hope it stays that way.

The problem i have with this topic post, is it's sole intent is to scare and get in peoples head and obviously you guys have to me.

All I can do now is to hope I'm not one of the rare cases who this does not happen too.

If you could provide me a credible source that confirms that I'd be much more inclined to believe you. In my own personal experience I have found that height projections are usually way off.

I'm also not sure what you mean by growth charts and percentiles, but I was 6ft at the age of 14. When I was 16 I was 6'3, and I haven't grown since. I'm sure my growth chart / percentiles would have dropped significantly as well. I'm not trying to say accutane didn't cause ur height problem, but who knows how tall you wouldve been had you not taken it. Maybe you would've been 5'7 without accutane, maybe you would've been 6'6.

I also kind of agree with brazilianjj ... I hope you had good intentions when you posted this, trying to warn people about the potential effects of tane, but you come off as attempting to scare people into not taking accutane. As much as I sometimes get frustrated with oli girl's constant posts about the side effects of tane, she always provides external sources and, imo, does so with the best of intentions for the people on these boards.

Omfg... I play basketball and am about 6'1, I'm sure I have a few more inches to go. Now I'm F-ing scared.

All I know is that my pediatrician said that my growth chart looks "very abnormal"... I don't think it was a coincidence that my growth slowed rapidly while I was taking Accutane. I come on these message boards to inform people about my experience. Some may call it "scare-mongering", but I would just call it "education". People are so stupid these days. Have any of you heard of the "revolving door concept". This concept defines the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA-- how else do you think a drug such as accutane has been allowed to enter the mouths of developing teenagers with moderate cases of acne? Honestly, isotretinion's mechanism of action is said to be unknown. Nobody knows how it works from a cellular level (although there are many "scary" hypotheses out there). Accutane reduces cell-proliferation in all rapidly dividing cells in the body, so obviously it isn't that great of an idea for 15 year olds with moderate to be taking it so they can have "perfect skin". My growth was stunted, I am sure of that. You can choose not to believe me, but at least I'm forcing people to become more aware. If you are going on accutane and you are still growing, get a bone age test at the beginning of your treatment and then once every two months for the rest of your treatment.

Edited by yowasup

All I know is that my pediatrician said that my growth chart looks "very abnormal"... I don't think it was a coincidence that my growth slowed rapidly while I was taking Accutane. I come on these message boards to inform people about my experience. Some may call it "scare-mongering", but I would just call it "education". People are so stupid these days. Have any of you heard of the "revolving door concept". This concept defines the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA-- how else do you think a drug such as accutane has been allowed to enter the mouths of developing teenagers with moderate cases of acne? Honestly, isotretinion's mechanism of action is said to be unknown. Nobody knows how it works from a cellular level (although there are many "scary" hypotheses out there). Accutane reduces cell-proliferation in all rapidly dividing cells in the body, so obviously it isn't that great of an idea for 15 year olds with moderate to be taking it so they can have "perfect skin". My growth was stunted, I am sure of that. You can choose not to believe me, but at least I'm forcing people to become more aware. If you are going on accutane and you are still growing, get a bone age test at the beginning of your treatment and then once every two months for the rest of your treatment. And Oli Girl, there is honestly no use in me getting a bone-age test now, because my growth plates are already fused. It wouldn't prove that accutane did anything.

Don't get defensive.

My only point was that one can fall short of their projected growth normally as well.

Another example? My boyfriend's twin brother (fraternal, so they had different projected heights) DID go on Accutane when he was about 15, and he reached his projected height of 5'11". And yes, they really were "supposed" to be that far apart in height. My bf was always much taller than his brother when they were kids, but now they're almost the same height. And he, the one who didn't go on Accutane, is the one whose growth is "stunted".

I believe in being informed, but I think a lot of people jump to conclusions. OMG, something bad happened to me, it MUST be Accutane.

Yes, it could be. But not necessarily.

All I know is that my pediatrician said that my growth chart looks "very abnormal"... I don't think it was a coincidence that my growth slowed rapidly while I was taking Accutane. I come on these message boards to inform people about my experience. Some may call it "scare-mongering", but I would just call it "education". People are so stupid these days. Have any of you heard of the "revolving door concept". This concept defines the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA-- how else do you think a drug such as accutane has been allowed to enter the mouths of developing teenagers with moderate cases of acne? Honestly, isotretinion's mechanism of action is said to be unknown. Nobody knows how it works from a cellular level (although there are many "scary" hypotheses out there). Accutane reduces cell-proliferation in all rapidly dividing cells in the body, so obviously it isn't that great of an idea for 15 year olds with moderate to be taking it so they can have "perfect skin". My growth was stunted, I am sure of that. You can choose not to believe me, but at least I'm forcing people to become more aware. If you are going on accutane and you are still growing, get a bone age test at the beginning of your treatment and then once every two months for the rest of your treatment. And Oli Girl, there is honestly no use in me getting a bone-age test now, because my growth plates are already fused. It wouldn't prove that accutane did anything.

what's the point of coming to this forum and trying to "educate" people of stunted growth accutane causes? What do you get from this honestly? This makes you the stupid person not me.

Why do you consider what I am doing stupid? I am merely trying to make people more aware of Accutane's devastating side-effects. I guess helping people is considered stupid in your book. "what's the point of coming to this forum and trying to "educate" people of stunted growth accutane causes?" What's the point in trying to educate anyone about anything? What's the point of informing people about the side-effects of any drug? Let's just not educate eachother and tell each other our experiences because it is considered stupid by mr. brazilian. Let's just keep popping those pills without second thought so the pharmaceutical companies can keep reeling in the cash!!! Buddy, can you explain to me how retinoids work? Can you explain to me Accutane's mechanism of action? Can you explain to me why Roche denied Accutane could ever cause depression, and then later apologized when it was found out that they knew it could possibly cause depression all along? Can you explain to me what telomere shortening is? Can you explain to me why Accutane causes pre-epiphyseal closure in some cases? Do a little research. Educate yourself if you don't want to listen to what I have to say.

First of all bud, in the IPLEDGE packet that we have to read, it says that it MAY cause pre-epiphyseal closure. And yes I was aware of it, and rightfully worried. However, to come on here to act to scare us into thinking this is so common and that everyone will get it is down right selfish. You're intentions are not good and you know that. And the two recorded cases of pre-epiphyseal closure has been documented from two kids who had an enormously high dose of accutane, and wasn't even treated for the treatment of acne if i can correctly remember.

some doctors response of growth arrest on accutane is this

Growth arrest, as you note, has been reported. However, it's very rare. There just isn't enough data to make firm recommendations about X-ray monitoring. I can tell you that it isn't standard practice to obtain such X-rays. As to how reliably predictive they are of side-effects, I simplySimply sleep don't know. -Dr. Rockoff

I'm closing this thread for now so you two can cool off. If the name calling continues when it's reopened, warnings and possible suspensions will be issued.

so I went to my doctor a few weeks ago to talk to him about my concerns regarding accutane's impact on my bone growth... he pulled out an x-ray of a shoulder injury I recieved a few months after i discontinued my accutane treatment and examined the epiphyseal lines and determined that my bone age was much older than my actual age. So here's a study that discusses Accutane's impact upon IGF (insulin-like growth factor), which is responsible for bone-growth. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20128787

Accutane has been proven to reduce the rate of cellular division in rapidly dividing cells (like osteoblasts), so the fact that Accutane could also decrease the production of IGF should definately cause people to question whether pre-epiphyseal closure happens to only a very small percentage of the population of Accutane users who are in their growing years.

Edited by yowasup

so I went to my doctor a few weeks ago to talk to him about my concerns regarding accutane's impact on my bone growth... he pulled out an x-ray of a shoulder injury I recieved a few months after i discontinued my accutane treatment and examined the epiphyseal lines and determined that my bone age was much older than my actual age. So here's a study that discusses Accutane's impact upon IGF (insulin-like growth factor), which is responsible for bone-growth. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20128787

Accutane has been proven to reduce the rate of cellular division in rapidly dividing cells (like osteoblasts), so the fact that Accutane could also decrease the production of IGF should definately cause people to question whether pre-epiphyseal closure happens to only a very small percentage of the population of Accutane users who are in their growing years.

Firstly, read the whole study to draw conclusions. Secondly how come you forgot to paste this here from the same link you have provided?:

Conclusions: Isotretinoin therapy may have an effect on GH physiology, and further studies are needed to understand this association.

I haven't read the whole study (do not have the time right now), but even now I see few flaws with its design, for example, there wasn't a control group.

So you are not interpreting this study correctly and I am sorry to say, but it does not prove your point.

Edited by Helios

I also believe that accutane stunted my growth and no, I don't have any proof. But anyone who has smoked all their life and gets cancer doesn't have any proof the smokes caused the cancer. That is to say, they can't prove that was the cause, just that it MAY cause it. They MAY have developed cancer anyways - it would be impossible to prove the exact reason. That is how cigarette companies get away with killing thousands of people each year. And it's the same with other drugs, you can't look at a person and say what was the exact reason for their growth to be stunted. All I know is this, I was growing at a normal rate, then I started accutane, then for some reason my growth stopped dead in its tracks. Just to put it in perspective, my sister is 5'9'' and I am 5'8''

"Accutane has been proven to reduce the rate of cellular division in rapidly dividing cells (like osteoblasts), so the fact that Accutane could also decrease the production of IGF should definately cause people to question whether pre-epiphyseal closure happens to only a very small percentage of the population of Accutane users who are in their growing years. "

Helios, i never said that this specific study proved anything, i just said that it should cause people to question whether there are only "spontaneous" reports of epiphyseal closure among accutane users. I said that accutane "COULD ALSO DECREASE THE PRODUCTION OF IGF", emphasis on the "could". You didn't read the study, so you obviously didn't read about the fact that control groups were used and the results of those who were given placebos were compared to the results obtained from those who took accutane (which yielded a <.0001 p-value). The abstract didn't talk about the controls.

Edited by yowasup

I also believe that accutane stunted my growth and no, I don't have any proof. But anyone who has smoked all their life and gets cancer doesn't have any proof the smokes caused the cancer. That is to say, they can't prove that was the cause, just that it MAY cause it. They MAY have developed cancer anyways - it would be impossible to prove the exact reason. That is how cigarette companies get away with killing thousands of people each year. And it's the same with other drugs, you can't look at a person and say what was the exact reason for their growth to be stunted. All I know is this, I was growing at a normal rate, then I started accutane, then for some reason my growth stopped dead in its tracks. Just to put it in perspective, my sister is 5'9'' and I am 5'8''

Excuse me? You are kidding me, right? You are complaining about accutane inhibiting your growth and the the height difference between you and your sister is just 1''? It's just ridiculous. I even don't know what to say, sorry, but your logic doesn't make any sense. 1'' is not really a significant difference, stop searching for ways how accutane has damaged you. (hint, compare how much you and your sister weigh, I bet accutane has altered your weight too).

You can prove that cigarettes increase the risk of lung cancer. It hasn't been proved that accutane stunts growth. Actually, your point works against you - exactly, if your growth had been inhibited accutane MAY be the cause but you cannot prove it was. Even more, it might be caused by a million other things. And blaming accutane is your choice not scientific proof or anything. If accutane were responsible for this, it would have been proved by statistical analysis of data that is being gathered while drug is on the market.

"Accutane has been proven to reduce the rate of cellular division in rapidly dividing cells (like osteoblasts), so the fact that Accutane could also decrease the production of IGF should definately cause people to question whether pre-epiphyseal closure happens to only a very small percentage of the population of Accutane users who are in their growing years. "

Helios, i never said that this specific study proved anything, i just said that it should cause people to question whether there are only "spontaneous" reports of epiphyseal closure among accutane users. I said that accutane "COULD ALSO DECREASE THE PRODUCTION OF IGF", emphasis on the "could". You didn't read the study, so you obviously didn't read about the fact that control groups were used and the results of those who were given placebos were compared to the results obtained from those who took accutane (which yielded a <.0001 p-value). The abstract didn't talk about the controls.

You can rise concerns (once is enough) about link of GH alteration which in turn might have a weak link to growth. But stop twisting research in a way that makes others think that what you think has been proven scientifically. And don't forget to mention that nothing like this has come up in the post-clinical trial drug monitoring ever since accutane is available (1982). If there were an increased incidence of such a serious condition, it would have been acknowledged in the past 28 ever since accutane is marketed.

Acutally Roche has had Ephyiseal Closure and bone problems documented side effect since the drug came out 1982 in the use of Acne... So to say it is not proven that accutane causes this is absurd, It Clearly states the only unknown on Ephyiseal closure is multiple courses and they state that it can happen in recommended doses. They are not saying that ephyiseal itself is unknown.

Though to truly know if your ephyiseal is closed is to have a xray of it..

Really every side effect Roche lists they say the mechnisms are unknown or or causality has not been established, and do you think after generics and they took it off the market that they do any futher research. besides there are alot of studies pharma does that we aren't privy too... It is know that toxic levels of Vit A, retnoids and well it has always been used for cancer tx can cause bone problems. There are many studies.

Will it happen to you maybe not, but blast someone for posting thier experince. I personally shrunk while on accutane due to severe bone loss and Roche and FDA had no problems admitting it was Accutane esspecially at my young age.

http://www.gene.com/gene/products/informat...tane/pdf/pi.pdf

( a Divison of Roche)

Edited by oli girl

okay, internet discussions are difficult.

The drug information leaflet I was using states, that Epiphyseal Closure has been observed after using high doses of roaccutane for many years (exceeding recommended dosage, treatment duration and cumulative dosage). Note, nothing is said about such side effect while taking recommended doses. Now here's what I think: a dosage regime has been established, thus, noone should be taking high doses of roaccutane for many years.

Here's a quote from the file you gave us link to:

There are spontaneous reports of premature epiphyseal closure in acne patients

receiving recommended doses of Accutane.

Edited by Helios