Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
guppy45

Folliculitis

It was finally confirmed that I have folliculitis and not adult acne. I had suspected for years that I had folliculitis but I didn't know that I also DID NOT have acne. I believe I have other issues going on as well. My folliculitis didn't have any fungi or bacteria in the rupture biopsy so it was like a immune over response to my own hair/follicle.

I am now in the hands of derm that was a microbiologist first. With his new treatment I had a day and a half for normalcy and I made the most of it. I was back doing the things I loved and even started to make plans but last night and this morning new & old bumps have returned.

I'm into research by nature but researching my own issue for 7 years has made me very weary and tired. I was back to it today. Whenever I have new flare up I dive back in looking for the answer. Hoping for some detail, some angle I have missed that will cure me. Then you have to have guts & tact to show your doctor a study without offending him or looking like an idiot.

I'm so beyond the debate between a natural & orthodox approach. I just want a treatment that works with side effects that aren't too harsh.

Because I had that day and half of normalcy I realize how damaged my life as been due to my health challenges. It's impossible to to explain this to healthy friends though I've tried. At the moment I'm not in a good space but...

So what do I do? Why do I post this? I post this cause I know you guys get it. To wake up and have infections on your face is an experience that you don't soon forget.

Why do I keep fighting? I keep fighting because it's my right to have a happy life. I'M REALLY TRYING. Because I have a crappy health plan the costs are adding up. I'm gonna stick with this derm and see what he can do or discover. If he can't crack it then I have very few options left.

I've done holistic MD, I've done Ayuvedic, I've done antibiotics, I've done Accutane, I've done Clindamycin, I've tried Evoclin, I've done Oracea, I've done, 100% Raw low fat diet (lost 37 pounds), sulfur, salycilyc, glycolic, Cetaphil, Ivory, cortizone.

If they gave Michael Jackson an updated face can surgeons help me? I mean what are my options?

I can't tell you with each failure I get more weary --it compounds but let's keep trying. Let's win this!

Hi Guppy,

I know how fed up you are cos I'm the same. To wake up every morning and look at this shit on your face, that shouldn't be there, is truly miserable and distressing. How are people meant to go about their normal lives when they have some horrid affliction where it's most obvious? I'm afraid it is not condusive to a happy-go-lucky attitude to life and it affects everything.

I'm waiting for some hormone test results at the mo, cos I refuse to believe the doctors that always say "Unfortunately some people still suffer acne throughout adulthood" like I'm just gonna accept I'm one of the unlucky ones and just be expected to get on with my life normally.

One said the other day "We don't normally investigate acne" whilst offering me a script for somemore useless crap. Well I beg to differ. To have acne in your 30s is not just unlucky and it's not normal, clearly my body's trying to tell me something! So I'm investigating this myself.

I'm afraid I can't come up with any suggestions for you as I bet you are pretty much an expert in folliculitis by now, if you've been researching it for this long. But if I read anything anytime about the treatment of it, that you haven't already listed, I'll drop you a post.

I don't know if there's a forum or suchlike anywhere, where you can perhaps see what's worked for other sufferers? If folliculitis is caused by gram neg bacteria, maybe try Hibiclens as this kills those?

Anyway, take care and keep us posted with how you're doing. Kaz x

Can you tell us more about what this is? I have been getting the occasion red papule/cyst in my beard area and I am starting to think this is due to ingrown hairs. Does this have anything to do with folliculitis? I am going to start using Tend Skin and see how that does.

I went to a derm about this very subject, I had very painful swollen, deep, and stubborn ingrown hairs mainly in my neck area for a LONG time now. The doctor prescribed me a gel called Lidex, a compound consisting of a topical steroid and antibiotic. After a month, it seems to have cleared up my existing bumps nicely, but it does not seem to do anything to prevent new ones from forming! I finally decided to throw in the towel on wet shaving, and back to an electric (I've been flip-flopping FORVER!). I have a Norelco, and seemed to be creating a few more new bumps, so I ran out a couple of days ago, and invested in a Braun. I used it for the first time yesterday without any drama or irritaion. Back to the Lidex Gel, it's VERY expensive, and you WILL need insurance. I've only used the Braun once (Series 3 370cc model), and I don't have a verdict on it yet. I go back to the doctor today, and I'll see what he says, it does look much better! One more thing I'd like to add, I've performed so many "surgeries" on myself in my lifetime to extract these hairs that I should be a Board Certified Surgeon by now...there should be some kind of certificate up in my office :razz:

Yeah, I need to prevent them because they get quite inflamed and I usually have to get them injected (and then deal with hyperpigmentation for a month or so). Let me know how the electric works for you. I have heard mixed results.

It was finally confirmed that I have folliculitis and not adult acne. I had suspected for years that I had folliculitis but I didn't know that I also DID NOT have acne. I believe I have other issues going on as well. My folliculitis didn't have any fungi or bacteria in the rupture biopsy so it was like a immune over response to my own hair/follicle.

I am now in the hands of derm that was a microbiologist first. With his new treatment I had a day and a half for normalcy and I made the most of it. I was back doing the things I loved and even started to make plans but last night and this morning new & old bumps have returned.

I'm into research by nature but researching my own issue for 7 years has made me very weary and tired. I was back to it today. Whenever I have new flare up I dive back in looking for the answer. Hoping for some detail, some angle I have missed that will cure me. Then you have to have guts & tact to show your doctor a study without offending him or looking like an idiot.

I'm so beyond the debate between a natural & orthodox approach. I just want a treatment that works with side effects that aren't too harsh.

Because I had that day and half of normalcy I realize how damaged my life as been due to my health challenges. It's impossible to to explain this to healthy friends though I've tried. At the moment I'm not in a good space but...

So what do I do? Why do I post this? I post this cause I know you guys get it. To wake up and have infections on your face is an experience that you don't soon forget.

Why do I keep fighting? I keep fighting because it's my right to have a happy life. I'M REALLY TRYING. Because I have a crappy health plan the costs are adding up. I'm gonna stick with this derm and see what he can do or discover. If he can't crack it then I have very few options left.

I've done holistic MD, I've done Ayuvedic, I've done antibiotics, I've done Accutane, I've done Clindamycin, I've tried Evoclin, I've done Oracea, I've done, 100% Raw low fat diet (lost 37 pounds), sulfur, salycilyc, glycolic, Cetaphil, Ivory, cortizone.

If they gave Michael Jackson an updated face can surgeons help me? I mean what are my options?

I can't tell you with each failure I get more weary --it compounds but let's keep trying. Let's win this!

Try Hibiclens.

I had folliculitis too. I went to the derm. and got doxycycline (antibiotic) and clindamycin to put on the infected area. Instead of washing with my normal soap, I washed with hibiclens (you can get it at Walgreens). It started to improve within 2 weeks. Whatever you do don't break open any of the bumps, it spreads the infection. I didn't have any side effects from the treatment. Make sure you use a good moisturizer too.

Good luck!

CoolGuy you have a great attitude on it all! For any deep pimple I now call to see if the doc can squeeze me in. It really is minor surgery when you have a deep one.

I went to a derm about this very subject, I had very painful swollen, deep, and stubborn ingrown hairs mainly in my neck area for a LONG time now. The doctor prescribed me a gel called Lidex, a compound consisting of a topical steroid and antibiotic. After a month, it seems to have cleared up my existing bumps nicely, but it does not seem to do anything to prevent new ones from forming! I finally decided to throw in the towel on wet shaving, and back to an electric (I've been flip-flopping FORVER!). I have a Norelco, and seemed to be creating a few more new bumps, so I ran out a couple of days ago, and invested in a Braun. I used it for the first time yesterday without any drama or irritaion. Back to the Lidex Gel, it's VERY expensive, and you WILL need insurance. I've only used the Braun once (Series 3 370cc model), and I don't have a verdict on it yet. I go back to the doctor today, and I'll see what he says, it does look much better! One more thing I'd like to add, I've performed so many "surgeries" on myself in my lifetime to extract these hairs that I should be a Board Certified Surgeon by now...there should be some kind of certificate up in my office :razz:

Tanx I'll check out the hibiclens. Sounds like good stuff.

I had folliculitis too. I went to the derm. and got doxycycline (antibiotic) and clindamycin to put on the infected area. Instead of washing with my normal soap, I washed with hibiclens (you can get it at Walgreens). It started to improve within 2 weeks. Whatever you do don't break open any of the bumps, it spreads the infection. I didn't have any side effects from the treatment. Make sure you use a good moisturizer too.

Good luck!

Well, my update. I'm working with that great doc I mentioned. He took two more tests/cultures and found Staph in both. So I was on a new antibiotic for two weeks and shaving every other day. For about 2.5 weeks after the antibiotic I was good. So good I thought I might be cured and then one of my deeper bumps that had been treated with cortizone came back nastily along with two other new bumps. I went in for more cortizone shots feeling deflated & another script. This time it was amazing how fast my recovery was. Within 2.5 days I was living life again. Then this week, in a blink of an eye that deep one returned. I may have been too overconfident and went for a closer shave with my very nice electric shaver and maybe knicked it --by the time I returned from work it was jutting out of my skin again. So back I went again, thankfully they had room for me. He drained it, no cortizone this time. Maybe I shoulda asked for cortizone but now that the blood has dried and it's I'll leave it alone, I guess. It's bump and I imagine will scap. It def. hurt when he drained but it was good to get all the crap out.

So now I'm on the antibiotic and using a benzoyl wash. Maybe all roads lead to BP, Dan are you listening? Seem BP can kill most bacteria.

My latest research & hunting has been on skin flora balance. Everyone has staph on their skin yet most don't get inflammation or nastiness even if shaving. Why? Does does strep keep staph in check or maybe some other balance. There are even some new topicals with probiotics in them. I'm very curious about these.

Basically I never had bumps on my chin. When I started this crazy ass journey I was wrongly diagnosed with Rosacea. I believe the antiobiotics and topicals threw off my skin flora balane and digestive flora balance. YET I'm still looking to antibiotics to get me through the summer. Why? Cause I really would like to have a good summer and a normal life. I'm am going to start taking some probiotics beyond the minimum to fight C.diff.

I'm still fighting and I really appreciate all the feedback, posts & info.

Rock on!

Sorry for the late reply --it's been one of those decades. :-)

I believe folliculitis is the tendency for your hair follicles to become inflamed for whatever reason.

Definitely see an derm. You can use RateMDs maybe to find a good one. Maybe...or ask around. I never used Tend Skin. I heard good things about salicylic acid based gels for minor ingrowns & razor bumps. Once you have a cyst go to a doc. Don't mess around with that.

I suck at shaving but I think a BP wash before shaving will help. Right now I wash before and after shaving which breaks the twice a day washing rule as I wash at night too. I'm sure you know this but make sure your shaving gear is cleaned. My electric shaver has a clean cartridge built into it's charger.

I have used Prince Reigns which smells great but made my face a little worse. It's good for my minor body acne though.

Can you tell us more about what this is? I have been getting the occasion red papule/cyst in my beard area and I am starting to think this is due to ingrown hairs. Does this have anything to do with folliculitis? I am going to start using Tend Skin and see how that does.

May I ask how long you have been good for and what you shave with?

Congrats on your success! :cool::)

Good luck!

Yeah, I think it's mostly related to shaving but I had more issues when I had a goatee.

I truly think my skin flora balance is off. I didn't have these issues in my twenties. Of course I could be dead wrong that my messed up flora is the issue.

I'm gonna get super crazy with my pillow cases. A freshly cleaned one every single day maybe. Same with towels. Any thoughts?

What kind of folliculitis do you think you have, and is it related to shaving?
Edited by guppy45

Kaz...thanks for understanding. I see you have been there.

I will look into hibiclens and it's ingredients ASAP.

Let's keep searching and fighting! Let's pray we can solve both our issues. Who knows maybe even help others afterwards if we can conquer our issues. It's something to shoot for.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of "you have to live with it" either. I reject that too.

Hi Guppy,

I know how fed up you are cos I'm the same. To wake up every morning and look at this shit on your face, that shouldn't be there, is truly miserable and distressing. How are people meant to go about their normal lives when they have some horrid affliction where it's most obvious? I'm afraid it is not condusive to a happy-go-lucky attitude to life and it affects everything.

I'm waiting for some hormone test results at the mo, cos I refuse to believe the doctors that always say "Unfortunately some people still suffer acne throughout adulthood" like I'm just gonna accept I'm one of the unlucky ones and just be expected to get on with my life normally.

One said the other day "We don't normally investigate acne" whilst offering me a script for somemore useless crap. Well I beg to differ. To have acne in your 30s is not just unlucky and it's not normal, clearly my body's trying to tell me something! So I'm investigating this myself.

I'm afraid I can't come up with any suggestions for you as I bet you are pretty much an expert in folliculitis by now, if you've been researching it for this long. But if I read anything anytime about the treatment of it, that you haven't already listed, I'll drop you a post.

I don't know if there's a forum or suchlike anywhere, where you can perhaps see what's worked for other sufferers? If folliculitis is caused by gram neg bacteria, maybe try Hibiclens as this kills those?

Anyway, take care and keep us posted with how you're doing. Kaz x

Edited by guppy45

...and I read today that "A recent study published in the journal Science indicates that the normal flora apparently shuts off the inflammation response in host epithelial cells"

I just read this this morning online:

"You can also get a boil after taking antibiotics. Staph bacteria may become resistant to antibiotics, and with all their competition killed off they can spread and create problems, such as boils. Taking cortisone may decrease resistance to boils." from mothernature.com

I'm bummed that cortisone may decrease resistance to boils. My doc didn't give me a shot on Tuesday. Probably cause he shot this one twice in the past.

I think there is definitely something to the concept of antibiotics throwing off the skin flora balance.

Are there experts that have restored skin flora balance?

Okay one last finding on cortisone

"cortisone injections can suppress somewhat the body's ability to fight the infection and possibly worsen the infection or may mask the infection by suppressing the symptoms and signs of inflammation. Generally, cortisone injections are used with caution in people with diabetes and avoided in people with active infections." --from http://www.medicinenet.com

I have to say I like the immediate effect of a cortisone shot. Often two days later the bump is flat. It can squash inflammation (I'm sure everyone here knows this). but the infection lingers on.

I read on a board that Staph creates coagulase (sp?) that creates a barrier that makes it hard for antibiotics to get to a boil-like bump.

So basically, I have a deeper bump that was hit twice with cotisone. It flattened but then rose again. I believe in this case drainage and prayer are the fixes. Drainage by a doctor and then if it starts to drain on its own to apply a little pressure and clean area & surrounding area with alcohol.

Just wanted to follow up.

1. Cortizone reduced swelling but didn't do anything for my skin infection.

2. Of course the deeper cyst it re-emerged. This time I used antibiotics only and skipped the cortizone.

3. Washed morning and night with an benzoyl wash while it healed up.

4. When I shave I wash before and after shaving with benzoyl so I end up washing 3x/day every other day.

Conclusion: Had a good few weeks. When I have bumps I use Dan's treatmeant(benzoyl) right away and consider popping it if it's a small, superficial white head. I have VERY sensitive skin. Cell phone use and most moisturizers cause me to break out. Also staph is on everyone but for me it can be a problem.

For any bump that looks deep & more than superficial I head straight to the doctor.

I really like Pacnex which is a prescription benzoyl wash. It has aloe & green tea in it and seems less harsh. I also use Dan's moisturizer just around my nostrils and nose folds.

Finally, being clean shaven has helped. I grew a gotee in hopes of masking my folliculitis but it just exacerbated my problems.

Best to everyone!

Okay one last finding on cortisone

"cortisone injections can suppress somewhat the body's ability to fight the infection and possibly worsen the infection or may mask the infection by suppressing the symptoms and signs of inflammation. Generally, cortisone injections are used with caution in people with diabetes and avoided in people with active infections." --from http://www.medicinenet.com

I have to say I like the immediate effect of a cortisone shot. Often two days later the bump is flat. It can squash inflammation (I'm sure everyone here knows this). but the infection lingers on.

I read on a board that Staph creates coagulase (sp?) that creates a barrier that makes it hard for antibiotics to get to a boil-like bump.

So basically, I have a deeper bump that was hit twice with cotisone. It flattened but then rose again. I believe in this case drainage and prayer are the fixes. Drainage by a doctor and then if it starts to drain on its own to apply a little pressure and clean area & surrounding area with alcohol.

I can definitely sympathize with you. I've been in a similar boat for a long time.

I've been on every antibiotic imaginable, countless times. Every topical, 6 courses of accutane, and I'm still going through hell.

What I have is definitely folliculitis, but it's spread and gotten much worse.

It's definitely due to using antibiotics. My natural skin flora is totally off balance and destroyed.

Twice, I ended up with gram-negative folliculitis. The first time the cultures came back as E. Coli. The next time (a year later) it came back as enterobacter aerogenes.

My skin fluctuates so greatly. One week I'll be perfect, with almost flawless skin, and the next it'll be awful.

Recently, It's gotten worse than it's been in a long time. My chest, back, and stomach (which have been pretty clear for a long time) flared up with pityrosporum folliculitis. I'm on fluconazole and topical ketaconazole. The bumps have gone down, but won't go away. I'm literally getting bumps on every part of my body except for my arms and legs. It's awful.

My face has erupted with liquid, oozing, dark green pus. I'm afraid I might have some form of gram-negative folliculitis again. My doctor wants me back on accutane for a 7th course.

I don't know what to do. Why can't we introduce cultures of the good bacteria back on our skin?