Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blondedancer10

Just frustrated, need some advice please

Well I've been using Dan's regimen for about 6-7 months now. For the most part it helps tremendously. I use Dan's cleanser, Dan's BP and up until last month I was using Dan's moisturizer as my last step and if I needed spot treatment I was using the ProActiv refining mask for those spots. Anyways, the only step I have changed is that I have replaced Dan's moisturizer with Cetaphil moisturizer instead, because Dan's was burning my skin as well as not giving me enough moisture.

Anyways, I only do the regimen at night. Never in the morning. lately I haven't been very happy with my skin, I feel like I'm breaking out a little more and it's getting harder to stay clear. I ordered the AHA a few days ago and used it last night for the first time. I like how moisturizing it is. Anyways, here are my problems:

My skin has a tendency to get sooo dry while using this stuff, like I put my makeup on and it looks not all that great because you can see the flakiness :/ this is actually my major problem besides stupid acne itself. I'm pretty sure I have combo skin because it is usually very dry and flaky, regardless of a good moisturizer, but then I get very oily in my T zone by the end of the day.

I'm not sure if I should be using the regimen twice a day simply because my skin does get so dry. I did get up and wash my face with the cleanser and used the BP but didn't use the AHA because Dan warns against using it twice a day, and I'd rather use it at night.

My questions for you skin experts out there are; how often should I do the regimen a day? Do you think I'm doing the steps correctly? (Cleanser, BP, AHA(just started last night) and moisturizer) *I also use the BP generously. Do you think now that I will be using the AHA my skin will clear up more? I'm just so frustrated since I have been dealing with acne for 6 years :/ and have tried everything. I don't have it terribly, but just these past 2 weeks I have had little pimples on my nose, a couple on the top of my cheek bones, a few tiny ones on my forehead(which is very rare by the way) and 3 or 4 on my chin(which is by far my most common place to break out)

any advice, suggestions, questions in order to give me advice lol are greatly appreciated!

Well I've been using Dan's regimen for about 6-7 months now. For the most part it helps tremendously. I use Dan's cleanser, Dan's BP and up until last month I was using Dan's moisturizer as my last step and if I needed spot treatment I was using the ProActiv refining mask for those spots. Anyways, the only step I have changed is that I have replaced Dan's moisturizer with Cetaphil moisturizer instead, because Dan's was burning my skin as well as not giving me enough moisture.

Anyways, I only do the regimen at night. Never in the morning. lately I haven't been very happy with my skin, I feel like I'm breaking out a little more and it's getting harder to stay clear. I ordered the AHA a few days ago and used it last night for the first time. I like how moisturizing it is. Anyways, here are my problems:

My skin has a tendency to get sooo dry while using this stuff, like I put my makeup on and it looks not all that great because you can see the flakiness :/ this is actually my major problem besides stupid acne itself. I'm pretty sure I have combo skin because it is usually very dry and flaky, regardless of a good moisturizer, but then I get very oily in my T zone by the end of the day.

I'm not sure if I should be using the regimen twice a day simply because my skin does get so dry. I did get up and wash my face with the cleanser and used the BP but didn't use the AHA because Dan warns against using it twice a day, and I'd rather use it at night.

My questions for you skin experts out there are; how often should I do the regimen a day? Do you think I'm doing the steps correctly? (Cleanser, BP, AHA(just started last night) and moisturizer) *I also use the BP generously. Do you think now that I will be using the AHA my skin will clear up more? I'm just so frustrated since I have been dealing with acne for 6 years :/ and have tried everything. I don't have it terribly, but just these past 2 weeks I have had little pimples on my nose, a couple on the top of my cheek bones, a few tiny ones on my forehead(which is very rare by the way) and 3 or 4 on my chin(which is by far my most common place to break out)

any advice, suggestions, questions in order to give me advice lol are greatly appreciated!

I have used a similar variation of the regimen for over 3 years of applying BP only once per day at night. I use the basis sensitive skin soap, Jojoba Oil, and Acne.Org BP at night, and then in the morning I use the Acne.Org Moisturizer with Jojoba Oil but no BP. What I have found is that occasionally my skin will start to get tight and dry to where the moisturizer and Jojoba oil do not keep away flakes or dry skin patches during the day. This almost always results in a breakout in those dry skin and tight/flaky skin areas (probably due to irritation). When this happens I back off a little bit on the BP (although still applying once at night just maybe half of the amount), and moisturize more heavily throughout the day. I do this until my skin feels normal again and looks healthy, slowly building back up the BP again.

I have not used an AHA before so I cannot comment on that. I know it may be harder and more complicated while factoring in makeup on your end. But dont give up hope. Just remember that it has worked for you before so there has to be a way to get your skin back to where it was.

Edited by smurfo9

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated! I personally am able to use a smaller amount of BP than he recommends and still have it work (like the beginner amount he recommends). I was also getting super dry and flaky around some areas of my face and breaking out because of it. I have found a few things that work. 1) using jojoba oil as a scrub a few times a week (there is a post about it on dryness and flaking at the top of this message board) to help loosen up and get rid of the flaking skin, 2)using some jojoba oil before applying BP, and 3)only applying BP on the parts of my face that really need it. I avoid my temple area, around my jaw and ears, and my neck, as those areas tend to get really dry. I also avoid these places with the moisturizer too because it really does mix with the BP and spread to wherever you put the moisturizer. I also mix the jojoba oil with the moisturizer.

And I sympathize with your makeup problem. The makeup just doesn't look that great. I am on a mission to find a non comedic liquid foundation that makes my skin look dewy instead of caking on the flaky areas and making them stand out. One thing that has helped for me is to moisten a sponge and apply the foundation gently with that instead of with my fingers.

I would probably recommend going back with the regimen fully. Is the Cetaphil moisturizer non comedogenic? Try the jojoba oil scrub idea and mixing the jojoba oil with Dan's moisturizer and see how that works. I'd also try to use the BP twice a day too. Maybe the once a day is not cutting it for you and that is one reason you are breaking out.

Having lurked on here forever, I'm not sure where I read this, but someone said that the saturation point for BP is about 15 minutes. After it's all absorbed if you've applied it thickly, the extra stuff just sits on top of your skin and looks yucky. You should definitely try applying the BP at night, letting it sit for 15-20 minutes, and then washing it off. I've come to love BP so much more since I started doing this... it's really nice to be able to apply makeup over the nasty zits. Oh! For the makeup... Whenever I get a really ugly scab that has to be covered, I put neosporin it for about 10 minutes, which softens the scab and generally allows me to get off the extra parts that make the makeup show. For the flakes, the baby brush method works pretty well. Hope this is helpful!

I can give you a bit of advise with the makeup stuff :)

Do you use any pre foundation primer??

I have pretty sensitive skin, and found that my skin was even more sensitive when applying makeup once I started on the regime - so I started to tweak it a little bit to suit my skin needs.

**note, I only do the regime once, and that's at night time**

I would cleanse in the morning with a gentle Cetaphil face wash, then pat my face dry. If my face was extra sensitive that day, I would spritz a bit of Colloidal silver over my face, or failing that - some rose water. Both of these things have a beautiful soothing and calming effect on skin. Once that had absorbed a litte bit, if my skin was already showing signs of flakiness, etc, I would simply press a few drops of either RoseHip Oil or BioOil into the dry areas, wait about a minute or so ... and then apply a generous ammount of primer. At the moment I am using one that is under $12.00 in Aust, by Face of Australia. But you can use any primer that is Chamomile based, or Vitamin E Based - Napoleon Auto Pilot is also another fantastic one. Usually you only have to wait about a minute for this to set, then you can apply your foundation.

Are you using a specific foundation suited to your skin type??

Liquid foundations generally work well with a Primer that is Chamomile based, Bourjois make a beautiful foundation called 10-hour sleep effect, which leaves a gloriuos Dewy fresh faced appearance, and rarely dries your skin out. Whereas if you are after a heavier, more matte look - something like Maybelline Dream Matte Liquid Mousse generally applies very well over primer. Dermalogica make a range of special treatment foundations for specific skin types. Whatever you use, If you want to use a heavier foundation for better coverage, you can use a damp foundation sponge to give your face a more transparent, lighter look :)

I swear by Primer under any foundation - it really is great for locking in extra moisture when you really need it.