Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buried_under_fat

Limitations to Spironolactone

Hey Ladies

Quick post with a few questions.

I came off dianette 2months ago after taking it for 18 months, it completely cleared my back and chest where I often had a few spots. My face however was never 100% clear or even 80% which i would be quite happy with. I came off dianette because my doc wanted me to and also because untill now I hadn't been having periods and I wanted to see if I would start having periods - I am glad to say I am 19 I am finally having periods woohooo I am not turning into a man :)

I want to ask my doctor to put me on spiro; does anyone's doc get stressy when you specifically ask for a med? Also do you have to be under a derm to be prescribed spiro and would I be allowed to have it with only mild to moderate acne? I really wanted to go on Accutane but highly doubt that a derm would agree to putting me on a low dose.

Spiro seems very exciting and without all the scary possible side effects, do you think I would benefit from taking it even though I saw average results with dianette?

Also one more question, I have history with depression would that lower my chances of being prescribed spiro?

Thanks for reading x

I don't know how things work in the uk. I don't know if the md's are familiar with using spiro for acne there.

You should print out studies showing how effective it is for acne and show them to him or her.

I have mild acne and am using it.

It does have dangerous side effects. People always forget that it can affect your potassium levels and that can be fatal. You need to get your potassium levels checked periodically, like every 3 months.

I don't know how things work in the uk. I don't know if the md's are familiar with using spiro for acne there.

You should print out studies showing how effective it is for acne and show them to him or her.

I have mild acne and am using it.

It does have dangerous side effects. People always forget that it can affect your potassium levels and that can be fatal. You need to get your potassium levels checked periodically, like every 3 months.

Ok thanks, off to do some research :) x