Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mindripper06

CMON man, why doesnt anybody here answer my questions? I dont know where else to go.

I got laser genesis done on my face. Its non-ablative but it burned a lot. The area is now darkened and has been dark for about 2 months. Is this likely permanent or will it go away? I really need answers on this and NOONE is replying. I'm desperate and crying every night. If you read this PLEASE answer.

Do you think the laser technician messed up? Or is this normal? My derm says its inflamation but its been too long now! Especially for "non ablative" and I read its not supposed to leave these "bruise-like" marks which it did!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try to help since I've gotten laser treatment as well. Is this similiar to an IPL (intense pulse laser)? Do you know what setting the laser was on? How long ago did you get it?

I'll try to help since I've gotten laser treatment as well. Is this similiar to an IPL (intense pulse laser)? Do you know what setting the laser was on? How long ago did you get it?

Hi thanks so much for replying. I'm not sure, it's called "laser genesis". I dont know what setting it was on, in fact I didnt even know there were different settings! I jumped into this after they convinced me it was safe. I was never told of possible discoloration, even if it is "temporary" which I am not buying.

I feel like a burn victim. I had a mere case of blemish hyperpigmentation, and now the laser left an area of darkened skin thats about 5 times larger than my original blemish!

I had 2 sessions done. It was done not by the dermatologist. but by her "laser technician". I am suspecting mabye her "technician" is not very experienced and may have botched the procedure.

I had it done 1 month and 2 weeks ago to be exact. Do I need to give it more time? I am very concerned. Its a dark brown, or blueish color in some lights. Mabye some dark red too. Its shaped like a triangle, where the laser went over.

How long should I give it before going into full panic mode? I was not expecting months of recovery, I feel I have been had by a bunch of conmen.

PLEASE HELP!!

Okay so I looked it up and Laser Genesis is definitely different than IPL (intense pulse laser). The LG stimulates collagen production where as the IPL diffuses redness and hyper pigmentation. So, if your original problem was just and uneven colored skin tone and there were no deepish scars, I would be pretty pissed that they used an LG on you since I don't believe it was necessary. Now, the problem here is that as with any laser, even non-ablative, there's always a risk of discoloration. I mean, If they didn't warn you about that, then these definitely weren't professionals. After 6 weeks, its clearly not inflammation an just post laser hyperpigmentation. It is definitely not permanent though. Okay so now let's try and be proactive about this. I would really like to see a picture becuase it would help me in trying to figure out which route you should take now. You have a lot of options here to speed up the process. Just based on your description, I'm going to recommend Hydroquinnone. You can find it OTC at 2% but if you want 4% you'll have to go see a derm. I'm sure after they take a look at the area they'd have no problem prescribing it to you. After a month of use, you will see a drastic improvement in spot, it's really potent stuff. Also, if money is not an issue, and/or you'll have insurance covering your laser treatments, I'm also going to suggest doing IPL or Vbeam treatments. IPL has helped my red marks/PIH.

Other options include...

Retin A - will help shed skin cells

AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) - a master exfoliant

Vitmain K - helps with red marks / discoloration

Zinc Oxide - helps with red marks / discoloration

Okay so I looked it up and Laser Genesis is definitely different than IPL (intense pulse laser). The LG stimulates collagen production where as the IPL diffuses redness and hyper pigmentation. So, if your original problem was just and uneven colored skin tone and there were no deepish scars, I would be pretty pissed that they used an LG on you since I don't believe it was necessary. Now, the problem here is that as with any laser, even non-ablative, there's always a risk of discoloration. I mean, If they didn't warn you about that, then these definitely weren't professionals. After 6 weeks, its clearly not inflammation an just post laser hyperpigmentation. It is definitely not permanent though. Okay so now let's try and be proactive about this. I would really like to see a picture becuase it would help me in trying to figure out which route you should take now. You have a lot of options here to speed up the process. Just based on your description, I'm going to recommend Hydroquinnone. You can find it OTC at 2% but if you want 4% you'll have to go see a derm. I'm sure after they take a look at the area they'd have no problem prescribing it to you. After a month of use, you will see a drastic improvement in spot, it's really potent stuff. Also, if money is not an issue, and/or you'll have insurance covering your laser treatments, I'm also going to suggest doing IPL or Vbeam treatments. IPL has helped my red marks/PIH.

Other options include...

Retin A - will help shed skin cells

AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) - a master exfoliant

Vitmain K - helps with red marks / discoloration

Zinc Oxide - helps with red marks / discoloration

Hi, thanks again for replying. I actually did try the MURAD 2% Hydroquinnone for about 3 days and the area turned BEET RED so I had to stop using it. I have extremely sensitive skin so I guess the product must have irritated it???

I wish I could show you a picture but I dont have a camera. BUT here is a picture somewhat similar to the type of burn I have. My skin is browned/blackened. The burned area on my face is similar to the spot on the bottom part of where her pinky connects to her other finger in this picture:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm315/f...rnonfinger3.jpg

WHen you say Vitamin K and zinc oxide do you mean oral or topical?

I went to another dermatologist and he said pretty much what you said. He doesnt understand why they performed the laser surgery and he prescribed me Elidel, a non-steroid topical cream.

It has helped with the rednes, but the "burn marks" are still there. If I went to to him first my problem would probably be gone now (the original hyperpigmentation) but now I have laser burn marks to contend with!

Without me being able to use the hydroquoine how long do you estimate until these burn marks go down? I would feel better with SOME KIND of time table. Months??? YEARS??? I know you cant know for sure, but if you had to guess, how long do you think until it starts fading? I cant afford IPL laser and I dont know what to do now.

I'll never trust another dermatologist again after this! The 1st derm I had was ALSO a quack, he injected a STEROID into the hyperpigmentation which turned the area WHITE and PINK for about 2 months, then it went back to the way it was before.

How long do you think, if ever, my skin goes back to normal?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR REPLYING you dont know how much it means!! Just to talk to someone about this is helping me A LOT thank you! Do you think I should ask for a refund, or wait another month or so before flipping my lid??

Edited by mindripper06

Okay I see, was the skin itchy/irritated when you were using the Hydroquinnone. Did you make sure to stay out of the sun? I think it's best if you apply it at night, but if your skin couldn't tolerate it I understand. You say it looks like where the pinky connects to the other finger so it's not red but more so brown. It's text book post inflammatory hyper pigmentation then. Here's where I am confused. The fact that your most recent derm prescribed you Elidel would hint to me that the area is still inflamed. Is it still at all swollen, does it cause any discomfort? I mean the derm has to know better than me since he took a look at it in person but I find it really interesting that he would prescribe you a cream for eczema. Anyway, both the Vitamin K and Zinc Oxide are topicals. I'm a big fan of Vit K but have never tried Zinc Oxide myself. If you are using the Elidel I wouldn't use any other products in conjunction just yet. I also have a strong feeling, if the area is in fact fully healed, some type of retinoid could definitely help you. You could use the increased cell turnover plus It's usually safe to use in conjunction with most other products. The time table thing I'm not too sure of. To be safe, I'd say you won't notice any real obvious improvements for at least a couple months, I know it sucks. I know most people don't answer when it comes to laser type treatments, especially when they deal with discoloration. I realized this first hand when no one would answer me about IPL treatments so it's no problem, I'm really glad I could help. Lastly, you say your skin is sensitive so AHA's are sort of out of the question because they can irritate but from what I've heard around here Mandelic Acid is the least irritating out of all the AHA's. If the area is fully healed but just discolored, you might want to go the route of increasing your cell turnover just to hasten the fading process. Spot treatment of a retinoid + Mandelic Acid could seriously help.

Oh and also, go ahead and ask for a refund from the people who performed the procedure. Explain to them that they didn't one warn you of the possible side effects. Then you can go ahead and ask why in the hell they would think the Laser Genisis treatment would fit you when you had no scarring. Seriously, stimulating collagen production does almost nothing for an uneven skin tone and everything for someone with scarring.

Edited by SameSongAndDance

Okay I see, was the skin itchy/irritated when you were using the Hydroquinnone. Did you make sure to stay out of the sun? I think it's best if you apply it at night, but if your skin couldn't tolerate it I understand. You say it looks like where the pinky connects to the other finger so it's not red but more so brown. It's text book post inflammatory hyper pigmentation then. Here's where I am confused. The fact that your most recent derm prescribed you Elidel would hint to me that the area is still inflamed. Is it still at all swollen, does it cause any discomfort? I mean the derm has to know better than me since he took a look at it in person but I find it really interesting that he would prescribe you a cream for eczema. Anyway, both the Vitamin K and Zinc Oxide are topicals. I'm a big fan of Vit K but have never tried Zinc Oxide myself. If you are using the Elidel I wouldn't use any other products in conjunction just yet. I also have a strong feeling, if the area is in fact fully healed, some type of retinoid could definitely help you. You could use the increased cell turnover plus It's usually safe to use in conjunction with most other products. The time table thing I'm not too sure of. To be safe, I'd say you won't notice any real obvious improvements for at least a couple months, I know it sucks. I know most people don't answer when it comes to laser type treatments, especially when they deal with discoloration. I realized this first hand when no one would answer me about IPL treatments so it's no problem, I'm really glad I could help. Lastly, you say your skin is sensitive so AHA's are sort of out of the question because they can irritate but from what I've heard around here Mandelic Acid is the least irritating out of all the AHA's. If the area is fully healed but just discolored, you might want to go the route of increasing your cell turnover just to hasten the fading process. Spot treatment of a retinoid + Mandelic Acid could seriously help.

THANKS AGAIN!

The elidel I think was more for the ORIGINAL red spot problem I had, not for the laser burns. Although the new derm said it would help with that too. Its done well to fade the redness, but the brownish skin is still there. Also the Hydroquoine left the area badly red so the elidel was for that too. The derm said the elidel was mostly to "mask the hyperpigmentation" until it heals in a few months on its own.

The new derm said the brownish spot would "probably fade" and to stay out of the sun and use sunscreen (another little detail the laser-idiots didnt tell me). The laser idiots gave me something called "epi-cerum", so I have been using that with the elidel and the redness has gone EXCEPT in the original problem area, where its actually worse and darker red from the laser. The laser-idiots told me "oh sometimes the area will inflame before it gets better"...and that makes sense how? Whats even the point of the laser then???!!! It just DELAYED the healing time!!!

I know you're not a derm, but do you really think in 2 months the area might improve with retinoid? I am just discouraged because every morning I wake up and it looks the same! Is it just a very slow healing process? Or am I screwed?

Yeah I mean retinoids are good for your skin regardless. Try a nice 0.025% retinoid and it can do nothing but help. The quicker you shed those skin cells, the quicker that dark patch will fade. The fact is, hyperpigmentation can take unbearably long to fade but with the right products you can definitely hasten the process.

Sorry to hear about your experience.... From what i can tell you have very sensitive skin and this will likely be part of the reason why you reacted to the laser the way you did. I wouldn't touch retinoids ATALL. They can be VERY irritating for people with sensitive skin.

Keep using the elidel/protopic as these won't damage the skin and are giving your skin a good chance to heal.

Personally i would recommend nothing other than the elidel/protopic for atleast 3-4 months. Your skin has been sent into a hyper reactive state (trust me i know what this is like), so you need to be very carefull.

A zinx oxide based sunscreen (with no chemical sunscreens) of aproximately 10% zinc oxide, would be very beenficial and the zinc can help reduce the inflammation and protect the skin from environmental damage including UVA and UVB light.

What skin tone do you have btw, olive skin or very pale? The brown will fade but it may take a while, just be very gentle with your skin. No acids, no peels no retinoids etc. Keep it simple don't complicate things.

Hi there,

Just saw this post about Laser Genesis. I have just completed about a month ago 6 weekly sessions of Laser Genesis for my own problem skin and to be honest I have seen zero difference from this procedure except that my purse is several hundred poinds lighter **SIGH** I was lead to believe that this laser treatment would plump up the skin, reduce fine lines and large pores.............yeah right! My skin looks maybe worse texture wise than before.

But to answer your question, the derm used a high setting on my skin (16/17 strength....whatever that means) and I had some slight redness on my face that lasted a couple of hours afterwards (looked like I had been out in the sun) but that was it and I have very sensitive unoredictable skin. I was explicitly told by the derm that there is no risk of hyperpigmentation from this kind of laser so I am afraid from my experience I think the laser technician did not use this device correctly in your case.

I really hope you manage to resolve this

Best wishes

Sadiemay

Edited by Sadiemay1987

Sorry to hear about your experience.... From what i can tell you have very sensitive skin and this will likely be part of the reason why you reacted to the laser the way you did. I wouldn't touch retinoids ATALL. They can be VERY irritating for people with sensitive skin.

Keep using the elidel/protopic as these won't damage the skin and are giving your skin a good chance to heal.

Personally i would recommend nothing other than the elidel/protopic for atleast 3-4 months. Your skin has been sent into a hyper reactive state (trust me i know what this is like), so you need to be very carefull.

A zinx oxide based sunscreen (with no chemical sunscreens) of aproximately 10% zinc oxide, would be very beenficial and the zinc can help reduce the inflammation and protect the skin from environmental damage including UVA and UVB light.

What skin tone do you have btw, olive skin or very pale? The brown will fade but it may take a while, just be very gentle with your skin. No acids, no peels no retinoids etc. Keep it simple don't complicate things.

Hi thanks for replying!! About a month after this nightmare, I tried Hydroquoine 2% and it really burned my skin, so I had to stop using it. I hope I didnt do further damage. I have very pale skin. My skin is starting to feel swollen where the laser went over. PLEASE REPLY!!

Hi there,

Just saw this post about Laser Genesis. I have just completed about a month ago 6 weekly sessions of Laser Genesis for my own problem skin and to be honest I have seen zero difference from this procedure except that my purse is several hundred poinds lighter **SIGH** I was lead to believe that this laser treatment would plump up the skin, reduce fine lines and large pores.............yeah right! My skin looks maybe worse texture wise than before.

But to answer your question, the derm used a high setting on my skin (16/17 strength....whatever that means) and I had some slight redness on my face that lasted a couple of hours afterwards (looked like I had been out in the sun) but that was it and I have very sensitive unoredictable skin. I was explicitly told by the derm that there is no risk of hyperpigmentation from this kind of laser so I am afraid from my experience I think the laser technician did not use this device correctly in your case.

Best wishes

Sadiemay

They keep denying anything is wrong. They keep saying its impossible for thier laser to leave discoloration. Are they insane? I guess they can smell a lawsuit. I dont think I signed anything either warning me there would be a chance of burning. What should I do?

Hi there,

Best wishes

Sadiemay

They keep denying anything is wrong. They keep saying its impossible for thier laser to leave discoloration. Are they insane? I guess they can smell a lawsuit. I dont think I signed anything either warning me there would be a chance of burning. What should I do?

sue them

I would definitely look into legal action. I have had two treatments of microdermabrasion, and I had to sign a document both times saying that I understood what was about to happen, and that I recognized the possible side effects. If you weren't asked to sign anything, even if they DID warn you about serious risks (and you say they didn't), then you have a case.

Personally, I do not advocate frivolous lawsuits, because they make healthcare more expensive for all of us. However, this was a serious enough procedure that there definitely should have been paperwork involved.

Also, you may want to look into whether Genesis laser treatments are actually considered to be laser "surgeries." If so, any surgery performed without consent paperwork is baaaaaad news. I am not a lawyer, but this is my best guess.

Edited by Take Control

I would try nuetrogena healthy skin moisturizer- the kind which contains AHA's, it's fairly hard to find- they make about three types, look at walgreen's, you'll know you have the right moisturizer if it has an acidy smell, and not like a lotiony smell, i speak from experience when i say this stuff will solve discoloration, it takes a possible six months though....

I would recommend that you stay away from all creams etc as you seem to have very sensitive skin ... dont use Retin-A ! Only use a physical suncream/block - Zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. I have had discolouration before from checmical peels/etc and it DOES fade away .. but for me it took a long time like 7-8 months. Yours will fade just be carefull by not using all sorts of topicals. Just stick to a physical sunblock and try stay out of the sun as much as possible ... Do you know if the hyperpigmentation/darkend area is epidermal or dermal ?

Also sue the clinic .. its not that hard

Hi there,

Best wishes

Sadiemay

Sadiemay,

I would recommend the Selphyl treatment sometimes called the Vampire facelift. Your skin is rejuvenated by adult stem cells from your own body. I had this procedure done to fill in a large indent. Google vampirefacelift and call Dr. Charles Runels.

Best of luck. Kathryn

I got laser genesis done on my face. Its non-ablative but it burned a lot. The area is now darkened and has been dark for about 2 months. Is this likely permanent or will it go away? I really need answers on this and NOONE is replying. I'm desperate and crying every night. If you read this PLEASE answer.

Do you think the laser technician messed up? Or is this normal? My derm says its inflamation but its been too long now! Especially for "non ablative" and I read its not supposed to leave these "bruise-like" marks which it did!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a youtube video of a guy who did resurfacing. Msg him. He looked scary day 1. Not being mean. It passed but, you got to be seriously careful as you could mess yourself up. A lot of times, your prob better off not doing anything.

Uh, have you tried talking to your doctor? Why would you wait on a response from people on the internet instead of talking to your doctor directly? What about talking to the person who performed the procedure? If you didn't get answers that satisfied you, get a second opinion.