Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest RoseAlly

Which zinc to take?

Guest RoseAlly

Hey, everyone!

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered somewhere else.

I've been taking several vitamins and supplements for about a month (Vit. C, D, E, Zinc, Folic Acid, B6, B complex, acidopholus) and have noticed no detectable difference in my skin.

From what I've heard, zinc has been tested to improve acne. Which kind, though? I'm taking 50 mg of gluconate, but am I supposed to be taking picolinate? Does it even matter?

Thanks!

I tried gluconate, citrate, picolinate and monomethionine (optizinc), and I like optizinc best. Don't ask me why, there's no science behind it. In terms of absorption it shouldn't matter much, there's no conclusive evidence (yet) that one form is better absorbed than another. I've read many studies on the subject, but the outcome differs too much to be able to tell what form is best absorbed. In terms of nausea: zinc citrate can even be taken on an empty stomach without problems. I'd just finish the zinc gluconate and then switch to optizinc or picolinate or whatever form you're comfortable with.

I take zinc gluconate. At first it made me really constipated but then I switched over to chelated form and I'm good. It works all right too.

Monomethionate hands down. All other types of zinc get affected by phytic acid found primarily in grains. This acid reduces our bodies chance of absorbing zinc by 85%.

Fortunately, monomethione is unaffected by phytic acid and fiber.

Monomethionate hands down. All other types of zinc get affected by phytic acid found primarily in grains. This acid reduces our bodies chance of absorbing zinc by 85%.

Fortunately, monomethione is unaffected by phytic acid and fiber.

Oh I didn't know that :confused:

I been taking zinc gluconate.

How do you know zinc monomethione is better? where did you find it?

I believe you, but just want to know where you got this info from ;)

Sure no worries.

"Phytic acid has been shown to reduce zinc absorption to about 15%"

http://www.holisticacnetreatments.com/zinc-acne/

This is the product i take and its claims:

"The amino acid Methionine facilitates absorption and transport of zinc in the human body. Zinc Monomethionate resists absorption interference from fiber and phytic acid."

http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Zinc-...psules/278?at=0

BTW: Your body will still absorb other types of zinc but you just need a larger dose. I take optizinc because i can take a lower dose with the same affect. Optizinc is also the type used in the study where they proved zinc as an equivalent treatment to antibiotics.

Edited by AussieSmile