Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hellstorm

People are VERY wrong when they say acne isnt caused by DIET!

ok so i was reading an article about fast food and obesity. they were saying something about what's in the food and how IT AFFECTS HORMONES << don't you see? it all makes sense to me now, most food are loaded with preservatives and junk and it messes with your hormones which results in ACNE. be careful and watch what you eat!

Edited by hellstorm

It doesn't just mess up your hormones. It also ruins your digestion. There are very few nutrients in fast foods and your body cannot do what it was meant to do on so few nutrients. Also, anyone who eats that way WILL (95% chance) have diabetes by the time they are 30.

I have two friends who eat fast food every day. And for breakfast they have fried ground beef and eggs. They explained to me that they only buy vegetables once a year -- when I visit (I'm a vegetarian). Both are having diabetic blackouts and are pre-diabetic. They aren't even 27 yet.

It doesn't just mess up your hormones. It also ruins your digestion. There are very few nutrients in fast foods and your body cannot do what it was meant to do on so few nutrients. Also, anyone who eats that way WILL (95% chance) have diabetes by the time they are 30.

I have two friends who eat fast food every day. And for breakfast they have fried ground beef and eggs. They explained to me that they only buy vegetables once a year -- when I visit (I'm a vegetarian). Both are having diabetic blackouts and are pre-diabetic. They aren't even 27 yet.

wow that's sad! don't they realize that they are slowly killing themselves by eating that junk?

No, the strange thing is, they DON'T know. And I sincerely feel like they wouldn't believe me even if I told them. It is a way of life for them. It is all they know. They aren't white trash, they are engineers.

At one point, they told me that "McDonald's isn't that unhealthy." I didn't know what to say. I don't think they "think" too much about too many topics.

It is more like that famous Duggar Family with the 18 children. Has anyone looked at what they feed their children? They posted it online. www.duggarfamily.com If you start browsing their recipes, you'll notice there are no fresh vegetables, no fresh fruits.

Edited by Dotty1

Speaking of diabetes and the Duggar Family, I just Googled their names and learned that the mother just gave birth to her 19th child, but this one arrived 15-weeks early because she developed preclampsia.

From what I remember, preclampsia is related to very poor diet. Or rather, a very "American" diet. It now occurs in 10% of pregnancies.

Here are some of the significant risk factors:

* History of chronic high blood pressure

* Family history

* BMI over 30% of the healthy range

* Over 40 or under 18

* Poor diet

She should plant a garden with those 19 children and teach them how to raise their own herbs/veggies if they are trying to be froogle. Instead, they buy in bulk at Costco: Ketchup, BBQ sauce, meat, hot dogs, hot dog buns, cake mix, pickles, Kraft singles cheese (each comes in a little wrapper), white bread...

Edited by Dotty1

Ah I found the Duggar Family Favorite Recipes. This is a great example of why America is having an obesity epidemic, diabetes, heart disease and many other health problems.

NEW! ~ BANANA CAKE

1 box yellow cake mix

2 boxes vanilla pudding mix

5 bananas

1 Industrial Size Cake Pan (or two 9x13 pans)

2 Boxes Yellow Cake Mix (and whatever ingredients is needed to make the cake from the box recipe: i.e. eggs, oil...)

4 Boxes Vanilla Pudding (plus the milk needed to make it : )

8 Bananas

CHERRY VANILLA PUNCH

1 quart Breyers Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream

1 (3 quart, 64 fl. oz.) Welch's White Grape Cherry 100% Juice No Sugar Added

1 (2 liter) Twist Up or 7-Up

DUGGAR's TATER TOT CASSEROLE

2 lb ground turkey cooked, seasoned, drained

3 2lb bags tater tots

2 cans cream of mushroom

2 cans evaporated milk

2 cans cream of chicken

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

3/4 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed

2 small boxes frozen chopped broccoli

1 cup cooked minute or brown rice

1 onion, chopped

1 stick butter

1 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup milk

JEANNES SLOPPY JOES

1 lb. ground beef/turkey

1/2 c. ketchup

1/2 c. BBQ sauce

1/2 envelope dry onion soup mix

2 tsp. liquid smoke

DUGGARS TACO SOUP

3 lbs ground turkey

1 med. onion, chopped

3 (4oz.) cans green chilies, chopped

3 tsp. salt

1 1/2 tsp. pepper

3 pkg. taco seasoning

3 pkg. ranch or 1 c. liquid ranch dressing

3 cans hominy

9 (14 1/2 oz.) cans diced tomatoes

3 (15oz.) cans kidney beans

6 (15oz.) cans pinto beans

BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP

7 lbs. frozen broccoli

2 lbs. Velveeta

1 quart sweet whipping cream ??? Unbelievable!

1 c. cornstarch w/ cold water to thicken after hot

SLOW COOKER LASAGNA

4 pounds ground chuck

4 (28oz.) jar spaghetti sauce

32 lasagna noodles

3 (15oz.) cottage cheese

4 t. dried Italian seasoning

11/3 cups water

4 (4oz.) cans of mushrooms

6 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

CREAMY CHICKEN & TORTILLAS

4 c. cooked chicken, diced

1 dozen corn tortillas, each cut into 6-8 triangles

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 8 oz. jar salsa

1 c. sour cream

1/2-1 c. cheddar cheese

SPECTACULAR SAUTEED GREEN BEANS

1/2 c. Braggs Liquid Amino This must be the healthiest recipe yet.

1 whole bulb garlic, pressed

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE

1 (32 oz.) pkg. frozen hash browns (2 lbs.)

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1/2 c. milk

2 t. onion powder

1/2 t. pepper

2 c. grated cheddar cheese

1/4 c. melted butter

3 c. cornflakes ??? Breakfast cornflakes?

CHICKEN & NOODLES

8 cans cream of chicken soup

10 T. Mex. chicken boullion

17 c. water

1 onion chopped (or 1 T. onion powder)

4-5 bags egg noodles

chunks cooked chicken (optional)

pepper to taste

LAYERED SALAD

1st- 1/2 head lettuce

6 boiled eggs, chopped

1/ 2 lb. turkey bacon, crumbled This would be a great time to add greens, but noooo.

2nd- 1/2 head lettuce

1 can peas, drained

1 small onion , chopped

3rd- 2 cups REAL* Mayonnaise --- they actually had to specify a real product.

1 small container sour cream

GARLIC DILL PICKLES

3/4 c. salt (this is to salty for some;

may be reduced to 1/2 c.)

4-5 cups white vinegar

8 c. water

cucumbers (enough to fill 6- 1quart jars.)

18 cloves garlic, peeled

6 T. dill seed (not weed.)

LEMONAPPLEADE

10-12 golden delicious apples- cored & cut into large pieces -finally! fresh fruit!

2 small lemon

CHOC. MOCHA HEATH CLOUD BROWNIES

4 t. instant coffee (dissolve in T. hot water)

1 1/3 c. milk

1 sm. pkg. instant vanilla pudding

1 sm. pkg. instant chocolate pudding

2 c. cool whip

2 heath bars on top.

(One of Mommys favorite desserts!)

ALLIES NO BAKE CHEESECAKE ...this is by far the worst.

2 pkg. cream cheese

1 c. powdered sugar

8 oz. Cool Whip

LAYERED ICE CREAM CAKE

8 oz. Cool Whip

1 Hersheys chocolate syrup bottle

1 Smuckers caramel syrup bottle

2 king size Butterfinger candy bars chopped up

1st layer -12 ice cream sandwiches

2nd half of whipped cream

3rd - half of Butterfinger bars,

4th - rest of ice cream sandwiches

5th Cool Whip

6th - rest of Butterfinger, caramel & chocolate

BUCKEYES

(Michelle is originally from Ohio)

Combine & mix:

1 lb. peanut butter

1 lb. powdered sugar

2 sticks melted butter (1c.)

1/2 slab paraffin

12 oz. choc, chips

BUTTERSCOTCH BROWNIES

1 c. brown sugar, or sucanat*

1/4 c. oil (3T. olive oil)

1 egg

1 t. vanilla

3/4 c. flour

1 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt

1/2 c. nuts

Edited by Dotty1

OH MY GOD. are you kidding me...i live with health nuts, so absolutely no mcdonalds or whatever! when we cook stuff, everything is made from stratch. we don't believe in processed food

the layered ice cream cake sounds good though! (this may be my pms talking lol)

GARLIC DILL PICKLES

3/4 c. salt (this is to salty for some;

may be reduced to 1/2 c.)

4-5 cups white vinegar

8 c. water

cucumbers (enough to fill 6- 1quart jars.)

18 cloves garlic, peeled

6 T. dill seed (not weed.)

are you serious? i almost threw up in my mouth when i saw this. you're gonna get a heart attack from eating that

Edited by hellstorm

When I go to stay at my friend's house (they eat just like this), I must take my own food with me. If I don't, I become nauseous by the 3rd day because of the junk food.

For example, at their house they offer:

For breakfast: Eggs fried in hamburger juice w/ hamburger

Lunch: McDonalds

Dinner: Boiled spam, hot dogs or hamburgers.

Plenty of Diet Pepsi (about 24 cans a day). And at every meal, "White Trash Candy" is served - a Mixture of pretzels, chex cereal, Frosted Flakes, M&M's mixed together and coated with white chocolate.

Edited by Dotty1

Food does not CAUSE acne, only exacerbates it in those that already have it. There are TONS of people that eat terrible food every day, drink, and smoke that don't have any pimples at all. Food only causes acne in people that already have or are succeptible to acne (genetics).

A great website to see what is being cooked in American restaurants and homes around the country:

Http://www.ThisIsWhyYoureFat.com

The majority of the photos are taken at restaurants in NYC and the photos that are taken in people's kitchens are actually recipes taken from Food Network and various TV cooking shows.

Edited by Dotty1

Food does not CAUSE acne, only exacerbates it in those that already have it. There are TONS of people that eat terrible food every day, drink, and smoke that don't have any pimples at all. Food only causes acne in people that already have or are succeptible to acne (genetics).

Agree

But most of us here are not those people. We are succeptible to acne, so we have to deal with it.

I think in the long run we will probably be alot healthier than people that do not get acne when we change to a more healthy diet. The reason is because the people that don't get acne might have other bad health isssues like obesity, diabetes, etc. to deal with most of their lives. Acne really forces us to learn more about health and how to take care of our bodies.

Agree

I agree too. Acne is caused by bacteria and also hormones has something to do with it but it is not all dependant on the diet alone. You can eat loads of veggies and fruits but if you have an active androgen hormones which causes acne, you will still have break outs.

And believe me or not, I've done the natural diet thing just to cure my acne. I tried fruit and veggies fasting. It means I'm not eating anything aside from fruits and veggies. i ate fish and meat just once or twice a week. I followed it religiously believing that it will help cure my acne, but after doing these stuff after almost 4 months.... NOTHING HAPPENED. I still have acne and no change except that my digestion and metabolism has adjusted. I tried not to drink anything but water too. Still nothing happened. My friend nurse told me that my acne is hormonal. So I agree that it's not just the diet.

Agree

I agree too. Acne is caused by bacteria and also hormones has something to do with it but it is not all dependant on the diet alone. You can eat loads of veggies and fruits but if you have an active androgen hormones which causes acne, you will still have break outs.

And believe me or not, I've done the natural diet thing just to cure my acne. I tried fruit and veggies fasting. It means I'm not eating anything aside from fruits and veggies. i ate fish and meat just once or twice a week. I followed it religiously believing that it will help cure my acne, but after doing these stuff after almost 4 months.... NOTHING HAPPENED. I still have acne and no change except that my digestion and metabolism has adjusted. I tried not to drink anything but water too. Still nothing happened. My friend nurse told me that my acne is hormonal. So I agree that it's not just the diet.

If you seriously only ate fruit, water, vegetables and fish twice a week for months on end and never cleared your acne, I would suspect that you might have trouble digesting protein. There are six other members on this forum who found this was the cause of their acne. If indeed you have trouble digesting protein, your face would have never cleared if you had eaten fish even once a week. For people who have trouble digesting protein, a serving of protein will keep their facial acne active for 8 days.

You might want to try some Betaine HCl which is a digestive aid for protein.

ok so i was reading an article about fast food and obesity. they were saying something about what's in the food and how IT AFFECTS HORMONES << don't you see? it all makes sense to me now, most food are loaded with preservatives and junk and it messes with your hormones which results in ACNE. be careful and watch what you eat!

That's just one of many ways diet affects hormone and acne.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

Agree

I agree too. Acne is caused by bacteria and also hormones has something to do with it but it is not all dependant on the diet alone.

Well, you are both wrong and have only the usual really stupid argument to base your opinion on. There are TONS of people that eat terrible food every day, drink, and smoke and don't get obese, diabetes, heart disease, etc either, although they'll probably develop one of those conditions eventually. And people who smoke their whole lives and don't get cancer. Does that mean smoking doesn't cause cancer? There are a couple of ways we are genetically predisposed to getting acne, which is why our diet affects our acne when it doesn't to other people.

Diet affects hormones and acne in dozens of ways. And bacteria is the last stage and least important factor. First the pore has to get clogged.

Agree

I agree too. Acne is caused by bacteria and also hormones has something to do with it but it is not all dependant on the diet alone.

Well, you are both wrong and have only the usual really stupid argument to base your opinion on. There are TONS of people that eat terrible food every day, drink, and smoke and don't get obese, diabetes, heart disease, etc either, although they'll probably develop one of those conditions eventually. And people who smoke their whole lives and don't get cancer. Does that mean smoking doesn't cause cancer? There are a couple of ways we are genetically predisposed to getting acne, which is why our diet affects our acne when it doesn't to other people.

Diet affects hormones and acne in dozens of ways. And bacteria is the last stage and least important factor. First the pore has to get clogged.

I think the key word here is that it "can" cause acne or cancer in certain individuals, but to state acne is a definitly caused by diet habits in everyone is just not true.

Agree

I think the key word here is that it "can" cause acne or cancer in certain individuals, but to state acne is a definitly caused by diet habits in everyone is just not true.

To state that acne is caused by environmental factors is definitely true. Look at the study by Cordain, two traditional groups living in separate parts of the world and there's absolutely no acne in either group.

Agree

Diet and lifestyle habits do affect everyone's acne. It isn't possible for them not to. It's how your body functions. A few people may have a serious hormonal issue due to a defect and not their habits, but it probably could be improved via diet and lifestyle habits like stress/exercise and proper circadian rhythm. And a few people clog their pores topically with products or environment. But the level of inflammation, for example, is still affected by diet, stress and such.

Agree

Diet and lifestyle habits do affect everyone's acne. It isn't possible for them not to. It's how your body functions. A few people may have a serious hormonal issue due to a defect and not their habits, but it probably could be improved via diet and lifestyle habits like stress/exercise and proper circadian rhythm. And a few people clog their pores topically with products or environment. But the level of inflammation, for example, is still affected by diet, stress and such.

Well of course not doubting that, but "caused" and "affected" are to diff words and meanings;)

I im 99.9% sure that junk food cause acne .

A good diet will clear acne as long as you stay in the diet ok , so dont cheat went you are in a diet stay on it and you will be healthier.

This is bad logic, thats the same as saying carbohydrates dont cause diabetes. Because they are people who eat like 20 chocolat bars and dont get it.

Or another one (not really the same , but same logic): You can be struck by lightning and survive! Because this one guy got struck and survived with almost no scratches. *doesnt think about the majority who died from it and runs outside in a lightning storm to get struck...*

You see why its bad logic?

Diet is not the only part in acne. Being sensitive to the bad diet in the acne way is of course the cause. But when you leave out bad diet totally. Nobody would ever get it. But if everyone takes a bad diet. The ones who are really sensitive get severe. The ones who are lightly sensitve mild. And the ones who arent sensitve to the bad diet dont get it.

And maybe theres also something with your pores that you need. But this cant be the factor alone! It only can make it more severe. Or maybe acne requires this along with bad diet.

If you think this is wrong , please correct me...

Edited by joris

But when you leave out bad diet totally. Nobody would ever get it. But if everyone takes a bad diet. If you think this is wrong , please correct me...

You can eat the healthiest of healthiest diets and still get acne. Ask around the forums here and you will find ppl that done so. If that were a true statment then it would be true for those that do eat horribly everyday and eat what they want for years and years, yet never get acne at all. Will it "cause" other problems in their body, well yes, our body does react to what we eat, but acne isnt always the "cause" from eating a bad diet.

Again it goes back to what i said earlier, a bad diet "can" cause acne, it does not mean it will. Just like smoking "can" cause cancer. You can smoke your whole life but never develop lung cancer from it, you might develop another form of cancer though that is not directly related to all those cigerettes you smoked. My grandad passed away to cancer, and he smoked for 30 years, but he did not die of lung cancer, but died of prostate cancer.