Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moxie1

Is Retin A used to treat body acne?

Most of my acne is on my jawline, neck, chest, and back. Most things I read are just about using it to treat facial acne. Just wondering if others use it to treat large areas?

bad idea id say just because of the cost and how hard it will be to apply correctly, not to mention it will thin out the skin and make it more sensitive to the sun (imagine having a sunburn only in the places you apply it, lol)

you should probably go with a topical with an antibiotic or benzoyl peroxide (or one that comes with both like Duac). if you do decide on using a retinoid or similar topical, i recommend differin or azealic acid. differin is a milder retinoid, and it has been awesome so far for my facial acne

im no professional though so just ask your derm when you go to get your prescription

Edited by West-Coast_Skater

bad idea id say just because of the cost and how hard it will be to apply correctly, not to mention it will thin out the skin and make it more sensitive to the sun (imagine having a sunburn only in the places you apply it, lol)

I don't expose my chest/back to the sun. Too broken out for me to want to publicly expose them! If I could cover up my face and neck I might do that too :ninja:

I'm going to the derm soon, and am looking at what medications I think might work for me.

One thing I'm thinking about...I do spend a lot of time outdoors, so my face and neck are exposed to the elements a lot. I don't want to give up outdoor activities because of medications!

In the winter, I am outside in 20 degree weather for 1 1/4 hours a day typically - so my face is exposed to the cold. Don't they say to avoid cold weather exposure?

The rest of the year, during the week, I'm typically outside for 1 1/2 hours in the sun walking, and on weekends, I'm often outside all day long. I do put on SPF 15 every morning, and when I walk or on weekends, I put on SPF 70.