Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

help. i clearly need help.

i cant help but to squeeze at a spot i can feel under the skin. or any form of blocked pore.

i keep going in a circle. i know its bad. it leaves a bruise/skin discolouration.

so pissed off right now

I feel that if i didnt PICK my skin so much or worry about the smallest white head, or spot deep under the skin that my face wouldnt look so bad.

its the red marks that i create which then turn brown and slowly over a long period of time fade but as you know by the time one goes you have another 2... so its a losing battle.

I need some sort of will power to stop picking and squeezing my skin. i mean, i literally have some pointy tweezers that i stick under the skin to get out ingrown hairs.

if i see a small spot like thing, i will push and squeeze until i " get it"

i dont know how to control this.

help

!

Edited by want2beme

help. i clearly need help.

i cant help but to squeeze at a spot i can feel under the skin. or any form of blocked pore.

i keep going in a circle. i know its bad. it leaves a bruise/skin discolouration.

so pissed off right now

:comfort: Would it help if I just tell you to stop that bad habit? You know it's bad, just don't do it!

I didn't listen to my mom when she told me to not pop my pimples.

And I ended up getting ugly red hyperpigmented marks that took forever to go away.

Please, please be careful. You will end up getting those dreaded marks.

yeh :(

its like, i think if i can squeeze out the crap then the pain will be releaved. which is true, when you get all the crap out it normally feels 90% better then you just deal with the mark.

i really need to live with my friend cuss he is so strong willed. he always makes sure he never squeezes a spot ever.

i dont think ive ever left one alone tbh, there would always be a point where i squeeze it.

sima i already have those dreaded marks lol. i live with them. and constantly make more...

i wish i could stop somehow.

tbh i wish i didnt get spots. then i wouldn't pick.

Edited by want2beme

if you tend to completely lose track of time when you pick at your skin, you could have dermatillomania. check out the skin picking forum for some helpful links and such. my best trick is to put a piece of tape on the floor, so that i can bend and reach my sink to wash are my face, but i can't get close enough to the mirror to really look and decide to pick. also, if you are going into the bathroom and even think there's a possibility you might pick at your skin, set your phone/clock alarm to go off in the next 2-3 minutes, and place it as far away from the bathroom as possible. that way you can't get sucked in!

if you tend to completely lose track of time when you pick at your skin, you could have dermatillomania. check out the skin picking forum for some helpful links and such. my best trick is to put a piece of tape on the floor, so that i can bend and reach my sink to wash are my face, but i can't get close enough to the mirror to really look and decide to pick. also, if you are going into the bathroom and even think there's a possibility you might pick at your skin, set your phone/clock alarm to go off in the next 2-3 minutes, and place it as far away from the bathroom as possible. that way you can't get sucked in!

cheers pal, yeah i do lose track of time, what is dermatillomania? like ocd? im always late for everything cause i literally spend hours in front of a mirror :o

yeah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatillomania read about dermatillomania there, looks like i am a victim of that lol.

i need to gain the will power to over come it. i over came my other ocd related problem many years ago. now i need to get this under control

Edited by want2beme

please google that term - the forums will give you good tips to slowly stop your habit!!! :) It will get better but its not something that you can just STOP so its probably best to read about the great tips and steps to take!! Wish you luck, stay positive and kick this!!

please google that term - the forums will give you good tips to slowly stop your habit!!! :) It will get better but its not something that you can just STOP so its probably best to read about the great tips and steps to take!! Wish you luck, stay positive and kick this!!

damn knew something wasnt right. least my eyes have been opened to it.

going to try look on forum to try and stop. any particular good ones you could perhaps link me to?

thanks peeps

OMG I have the exact same prob and my BF goes ape shit with me!! I know I make it look a million times worse but I find it hard to not touch my face. When I feel a blighter under the skin I keep touching it, willing to get a head so I can squeeze the living shit out of it! lol.

I try to resist but it's hard.........

Instead of squeezing them out, use one of those diabetic needle things. You just poke a tiny hole into a red spot IF you see it having a white spot inside it, like a white head or whatever.

Just poke that, and then the stuff will just come right out.

Then when you're done, just toss the thing in the trash, since you most likely bought a box of 200 for like $5 bucks or so. I never force it out by squeezing so now I don't have a red red face.

I think they're called lancets. I'd get the fine fine ones.

I just try to avoid mirrors. Thats what usually draws me in to pick... I only look in the mirror when I wash my face. Then I don't get too close. And I have the lights all dimmed out. It may be a bit much for some people but it works for me.

Try these 3 steps to help you stop skin picking:

1. MEDICATION: Antidepressants (SSRI’s) and mood stabilizers

2. PSYCHOTHERAPY: With literally hundreds of different approaches, it is hard to be an educated consumer. Look for good personal chemistry: someone you feel ‘gets’ you. Look for a depth of experience working with picking and scratching. Someone can be a great therapist for people with other problems, yet ignorant and ineffective in this area. Ideally a therapist should be competent to address behavior change, cognitive (thinking) issues, and also the emotional side of the problem.

3. HYPNOSIS and SELF-HYPNOSIS: For habit control, these approaches are especially useful for people who go into a spacey trance state when they pick. You can learn to turn this “inadvertent negative hypnosis†into an effective treatment technique

going to read the chill out thing. thanks :D

yeah my skin picking just is so annoying, but then if i didnt get flamming acne and spots i can see under the skin, id never pick!

so although not picking would improve my skin, i still feel that picking the spot will make it go away quicker and then the healing can begin :S

if i no longer got a spot so often i would leave it.

also some points i can relate to in the brief of the chill out program are>

Oftentimes a person will only stop picking once the skin is bleeding or has become injured.

Picking can result in injury to the skin such as bleeding, sores, localized infections, or even deep craters, and can cause scarring.

Skin picking and the damage it causes can provoke intense distress, deep shame, and may cause avoidance of social situations. Often skin pickers live in fear of being “found out.â€

Fingers are often used to pick, but needles, tweezers, and other small instruments are also sometimes used.

People who pick at their skin tend to have a higher incidence of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD), and Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD). Skin pickers tend to have higher levels of depression and mood disorders and tend to abuse drugs and alcohol more frequently.

Perfectionism: People will often start to pick in an attempt to “fix†something that is perceived to be wrong with the skin. In an attempt to improve the appearance of the skin, the opposite often happens, and the skin is left in worse shape than before picking began. This in turn can lead to further skin picking.

those are the problems i am trying to fight

Edited by want2beme

right now i have gone 20 mins without picking or touching my face, and it is really frekin hard!! i am going to try never looking in the mirror or at least only in the dark. im also going to put a picture of my face beside my mirror so i know how bad it getss when u pick because its really bad!! right now i hv like 7 sores on my face, some as big as coins, from picking. it started right after my wedding last summer. on my wedding day i had like one zit and i was pefectly okay with that. i think it might have something to do with the fact that ive gotten about 50 cold sores in the last year, except for around my wedding thankfully, but they have stopped 2 months ago, and now all i hv is my face. i hid my face in the christmas pictures because i picked so bad i had a welt the size of a quarter which is STILL healing. im wondering if i have OCD. my sister says she may have it too, but she ha it in the opposite way. She's such a germaphobe that she will never touch her face except to wash it, and will not let anyone touch her face. I wish i had that kind of OCD. i am gettign more and more depressed and everytime i know i have to go in public the urge to pick gets worse. unfortunately i dont have just one zit i have many but i need to remember if i stop it could get better... i need help, i wonder if dermatologists could help with this. my husband doesnt understand, he thinks its my problem to get over. :(

right now i have gone 20 mins without picking or touching my face, and it is really frekin hard!! i am going to try never looking in the mirror or at least only in the dark. im also going to put a picture of my face beside my mirror so i know how bad it getss when u pick because its really bad!! right now i hv like 7 sores on my face, some as big as coins, from picking. it started right after my wedding last summer. on my wedding day i had like one zit and i was pefectly okay with that. i think it might have something to do with the fact that ive gotten about 50 cold sores in the last year, except for around my wedding thankfully, but they have stopped 2 months ago, and now all i hv is my face. i hid my face in the christmas pictures because i picked so bad i had a welt the size of a quarter which is STILL healing. im wondering if i have OCD. my sister says she may have it too, but she ha it in the opposite way. She's such a germaphobe that she will never touch her face except to wash it, and will not let anyone touch her face. I wish i had that kind of OCD. i am gettign more and more depressed and everytime i know i have to go in public the urge to pick gets worse. unfortunately i dont have just one zit i have many but i need to remember if i stop it could get better... i need help, i wonder if dermatologists could help with this. my husband doesnt understand, he thinks its my problem to get over. :(

sounds like ocd to me. i used to have the germophobe ocd to but thats another story.

i think you need to look less in the mirror. not worry so much about your looks. and when you want to pick, ask yourself why? are you stressed or what.

you know the out come will be very bad, so just say no!

go do something else to take your mind off it. even if its driving. that way your hands will be occupied and your eyes on the road :)

I too have this problem. I'm not talking about popping a perfectly ripe zit, but picking at small clogged pores or any "bump" I have on my face in an effort to make it go away. I can make my face look terrible in no time, but luckily I'm learning how to keep my hands off my face.

First off, don't spend too much time staring in the mirror. Yeah I know that it's hard because you always wanna know how your face looks, if your acne is getting better/worse, etc. but I've found that not looking in the mirror so much is probably the most helpful thing.

Second, when you must pick, always know when to stop and never pick with your bare fingernails or sharp tweezers. If you have to squeeze something, wrap your fingertips in tissue or cut a qtip in half and use the ends to squeeze. Trust me that fingernails can destroy your face like nothing else. Red marks can take forever to fade.

If you have mild acne like just a random zit here and there, trust your body to get rid of it naturally over time. If you have severe acne all of these suggestions probably won't help much if you see your acne getting worse everyday. But for the rest of us who just can't deal with a random zit sitting on you face, learn how to accept it and just keep your mind occupied with other things. Think about how you just need to be patient and let your body (and skincare routine) take care of the zit.

Wow, lightersUP, everything single thing you said sounded like the same sort of advice I would give as well. I can completely relate and know exactly what it's like to go through the struggle of trying to stop and dealing with this terrible habit. Have been dealing with it for years and am still trying to stop/deal with it now..

These days it seems the only pimples I get are the ones formed when I've picked at a small harmless clogged pore or bump. It's ironic, because when I do this I think I'm doing myself a favour and I'm making them go away faster but of course, they only develop into red, sore pimples! I can't seem to leave them alone.. I know I'm more prone to picking when I have a lot of time on my hands with nothing to do and more vulnerable to picking when I'm feeling particularly negative and down about myself.

Most times I have to constantly keep telling myself, 'stay away from mirrors, don't look at your face'. If you have the strength to not look at a mirror so often and avoid it as much as possible then it will help A LOT. Sometimes I can do that but sometimes I'm so weak, I will give in.

Like lightersUP said, the worse has to be picking and squeezing with your fingers. When this happens to me, not only do I create awful red marks, they will then turn grey/brown and linger for days and weeks before completely fading. My skin won't be that bad to start off with, but when I've gone through a really bad picking session my face will look like a warzone. I may as well look like I have moderate-severe acne. It's gotten that bad before.

Best advice would be to occupy yourself and not think about it too much. I know, easier said than done. If it happens, what I do is to tear off some toilet paper and fold it over two or three times and then if I must squeeze at something, tell (more like beg) myself to not squeeze too hard. I may allow myself to pick a bump or two but then that's IT. After that, no more, I must STOP. Stopping completely is difficult, just try to pick less spots and not have so many picking sessons and work from there.

i am so f'd right now. i picked a small insignificant spot yest evening, and now its bruised and brown. i then squeeze another near my mouth on the same side which is now brown. they other day i finally decided to dig out two plugged pores on my right cheek cause they just wouldnt f off. one is fine and has gone .

the other turned into a deeper painful spot which i have just popped. i held a hot compress on it and kept squeezing. it finally gave in and a small bit of crap came out, squeezed again and then the rest flew out. RELIEF

however i look a mess. blotchy etc and i HAVE my sisters wedding to attend this week.

do you think they mess would have died down by friday next week?

i havent broken the skin on any of them, so I HOPE i will get away with it

gah :(

BRING ON THE DERM TOMORROW

why do i do this to myself? is something wrong with me

Edited by want2beme