Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tyler bonnie

TCM - Acupuncture, herbs etc.

So, first post for me. I've been battling Acne for about 5 years, I'm 23 now. Started on my back with cystic acne, after a year or two i got some spots on my face and stubborn cysts on my neck, that stays there for months.

Have been eating a lot of antibiotics and visited for the first time a real derm the summer 2009. He told me I should go on accutane. blah blah blah.... I didn't want to..so...

Mid summer i went to check out that chinese medecine, acupuncture and so on. It's been a while now and I'm...about 80-90 % clear. ( My face bbroke out a few weeks ago and haven't healed yet)

A zit or two...minicyst on back once in a while.

I haven't seen any threads about this on here, or I'm not so good at searching. Is there anybody on here doing this and had success? Or wanna try it out ? Let's discuss this here!

A few notes: I'm swedish, my grammar can be a bit messy sometimes. And for the acupuncture, i pay ~50$ for a 1 hour long session + a few buck for the herbs.

That's great that you've found something that works for you! :D How often do you receive acupuncture? What sorts of herbs do you take?

That's great that you've found something that works for you! :D How often do you receive acupuncture? What sorts of herbs do you take?

Yeah and I hope it will continue working ! Hm, in the beginning i came in every second week or so, now...every month. Uhm, the herbs..ye.. It's written in chinese on them :), the only english word on the box is "Toxic Heat cleaners". The TCM-"doctor" said I had "heat" in the blood and that's why I have acne. So the acupuncture and herbs are cleansing my body from that. It's sound a bit voodooOoO, but I think it works.

I don't want this thread to be all about me, ofcourse you peeps can ask question, but I also want other people aswell to tell about their experiences.

peace

I tried chinese herbs for my digestion and acne problems combined which consisted of brewing a combination of herbs in water. Unfortunately, I didn't see any improvement after 3 months so I gave it up and it was very costly (between £20 to £40 per week).

It does work for some but not in my case, However, the good thing about Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is that they look at you as an individual and base your treatment on the cause which is different for everyone i.e hormonal imbalances, weak digestion.

I am a supporter and believer in TCM. I've been on chinese herbs since end of Sept 2009 (that's a little over 4 months).

I've gone from red inflammed face and cystic acne (both my GP and derm suggest I start Accutane) to no active acne at the moment. I still have red marks and some superficial scars from a couple months ago. I avoid certain 'toxic' food i.e. lobster, duck, goose etc. I had duck last week and didn't have a break out!

It definitely works. But you have to stick with it. During the first 2 months, I saw the herbalist every 2 weeks and I was drinking the herbs almost every day. Now, I'm down to seeing him once a month and drinking a round of herbs once a week. Beware, it's bitter stuff!

Guest DireStraits

Im really interested in TCM, this model explains exactly why I get breakouts from excessive exercising, diet and even ejaculation. No other acne theory (candida, leaky gut) goes even close to explaining the reasons behind breakouts not as a result of diet.

I believe I do have a lot of internal heat because during the colder months of the year my acne definitely gets better because the cold climate is balancing out my bodies internal heat thus better skin. If I go running during the summer im bound to breakout in an inflammed pimple within the next 12 hours. However whenever I go running when its cold, I don't breakout in fact my skin is probably even better.

I'm just hesitant of the whole cost of TCM and acupuncture that's why i'm not diving into it. I also really want to know exactly whats in those hebs :)

Im really interested in TCM, this model explains exactly why I get breakouts from excessive exercising, diet and even ejaculation. No other acne theory (candida, leaky gut) goes even close to explaining the reasons behind breakouts not as a result of diet.

I believe I do have a lot of internal heat because during the colder months of the year my acne definitely gets better because the cold climate is balancing out my bodies internal heat thus better skin. If I go running during the summer im bound to breakout in an inflammed pimple within the next 12 hours. However whenever I go running when its cold, I don't breakout in fact my skin is probably even better.

I'm just hesitant of the whole cost of TCM and acupuncture that's why i'm not diving into it. I also really want to know exactly whats in those hebs :)

Sometimes its blood heat, a lot of the time its blood heat actually. It can be Qi stagnation which is causing heat, there are a ton of different things but something is causing extra heat in your body whether youre stagnant or feeding it too many heat stimulants (sugars, simple sugars, warming/spicy foods)

Edited by DeAntonio

The herbs i were prescribed were all bitter but i know one of them was dandelion.

Quite a few of us did acupuncture for acne a few years ago. We all discovered that our acne cleared only while we did acupuncture. You must continue the treatments as long as you want clear skin.

On the other hand, menstrual cramps went away completely -never to return- with acupunture. I had dysmennorhea (the cramping pain was so bad I'd faint every month) and after acupunture I've never felt the pain again.

I suggest you take a few EnteroLab sensitivity tests for gluten, yeast, soy, dairy. Each test is $99 and has a 95% accuracy rate --- much more accurate than any test now available at doctor's clinics.

Quite a few of us did acupuncture for acne a few years ago. We all discovered that our acne cleared only while we did acupuncture. You must continue the treatments as long as you want clear skin.

On the other hand, menstrual cramps went away completely -never to return- with acupunture. I had dysmennorhea (the cramping pain was so bad I'd faint every month) and after acupunture I've never felt the pain again.

I suggest you take a few EnteroLab sensitivity tests for gluten, yeast, soy, dairy. Each test is $99 and has a 95% accuracy rate --- much more accurate than any test now available at doctor's clinics.

Stop spamming the forum about your tests. First it was HCL, now tests ? please..stop trolling.

To the original poster - do you have any way to post that herb list? Do you have a scanner or something? I think we should find someone who can read chinese to tell us what it says!

I have been experimenting with herbs, making them into teas mostly, but occasionally brewing some with just a tiny tiny bit of water, and adding the liquid to some homemade masks.

Some of the ones I'm using are:

Burdock root

licorice root

dandelion

hibiscus flowers

chamomile

ginger root...

there are a few others, and i have a list of some more i want to pick up... i'll go look for my list!

I'm wondering if your herbs are some of these same ones. I get these things for super cheap. I mean, my little bag of each of those was between 10-50 cents! And you use such a little at a time, they last a while.

I go to the natural/organic food store in my area, and near all the 'bulk' food that you can scoop into plastic bags and pay by the pound or ounce, there is a little counter of smaller jars - mostly herbs. I bough some empty little spice jars from bed bath and beyond (only 1$ each), and I bought enough of each herb to fill the jars about half way.

off to find that list...

Edited by tree23

Haha, I am a strong believer in chinese medicine. The thing is, it is costly and most importantly, you need to find a good doctor. I'm not bashing anyone or saying that some people are fakes but tcm is half knowledge and half intuition. In my hometown, I went to see an old chinese doctor ( I thought that was good because her old age meant experience) but she did some acupuncture on me and gave me a bottle of pills in chinese called acne free. I saw no improvement and the treatment was very costly. I drank so much water, and tea and eat so healthily so I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

Then, I went back to china for a month and while i was there, I went to a tcm hospital and saw a doctor who specializes in skin conditions. i went to see her twice (once a week) and she prescribed me a sulfur topical and herbs to brew in a ceremic pot (IT IS SO BITTER!). During the month in China, I baked in the sun all day, ate chili flakes and garlic (a no no for any sort of "heat" in the body). I think the exersion helped because before this, I just sat all day long. But anyways, I came back after the month and slowly, my skin cleared up. I still had a few pimples now and then and a few cysts. But its a miracle considering i only took 15 days worth of medicine. Now, my skin is slowly starting to act up again. its a shame. it was nice while it lasted but for me, im pretty sure im not just "heat". i think i might have "yang xu" which is not enough yang which manifests in the form of too much yang. Go and try out a few doctors if one doesnt work. And if you're desperately enough, take a vacation during the summer or some break to China (Beijing) and go to a hospital. You can get guides most likely full time who speak english. It seems like a big thing but it doesnt have to be. There are so many nice tourist sites and monuments to visit and just enjoy the chinese culture. At the same time, go get your condition treated by a profession because yes, acne is actually serious. Its the build up of toxins in your body. Its the sign of a disharmony in your body which will lead to more serious diseases and conditions in the future if you do not sort it out.

and another thing, i am just mentioning it because the poster on top has mentioned how she had intense period cramps. if you have any sort of cramps during your period, have it checked it. i know people say that its normal, but guess what? its not. in china its such a serious symptom and anyone who has discomfort immediately goes to their doctor because its a mlfunction of the essense that makes up your body. your reproductive system.

and yes, i am chinese btw. haha, hope this helps

ps. dont try to fee yourself herbs. at most, get a diagnosis from a professional first and then you can search up some herbs if you want but taking and ingesting random herbs is not good. they are meant for different things and you could be making thigns worse. ie. different types of heat calls for different types of herbs. if you take ginger root with a certain heat type, it will help calm the heat but if you have a "heart heat(xin li re)" then it will make everything worse for your body

People who have been successful with this method, how are your diets? do they recommend you a diet? do you follow paleo, anti-candida, etc?

People who have been successful with this method, how are your diets? do they recommend you a diet? do you follow paleo, anti-candida, etc?

I'm supposed to follow a "diet". If you google cold and hot food in TCM you can find the "diet" these people recommend. In my case, iäm not supposed to eat hot food, like sugar etc....

Yes, my herbalist did ask me to stay away from certain food that are 'hot'. In the first couple of months, I was very good and didn't eat any shelled-seafood, fried food, lamb, pineapple, lychee, chocolate etc. I don't think there's a name for this type of diet. However, my herbalist did not ask me to stop sugar ( I specifically asked him that because I eat alot of sugary stuff).

I agree with the above poster that you have to find a TCM that works well with you. A herbalist that works for your friend might not work for you. Have patience.

It's been 6 months since I started boiling and drinking the bitter herbal tea and I don't have any active acne at the moment. I have occasional 1-2 acne pop up (not sure if it's due to bad food or menstral cycle). I went for a recheck yesterday at my TCM and he said my pulse is all back to normal now. But I'm still drinking the herbal tea to help get rid of the red marks on my face.

Mine mainly told me not to eat spicy food