Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tickled.pink

Accutane, scars and makeup.

Hey all,

I've been on accutane for about 4 months now, 40 mg per day, and this is my last month.

I'm not sure if I'm very happy with my dermatologist, and I'm starting to doubt whether I should totally depend on him or not.

For instance, another friend of mine is seeing this other dermatologist, and he told my friend to avoid a lot of sugary/oily food while on accutane, mine didn't say any such thing, and when I asked him, he said it didn't matter what food I ate, no matter how oily/sugary because it wouldn't affect my skin anymore, is that true?

Also, I have quite some acne scars left behind, which are really embarrassing, so I asked my dermatologist if he could prescribe some scar removal cream or something for me (because that's what my friend's dermatologist did), however, my doc said I should wait until I'm completely finished with the course of my accutane, because skin during this period is very sensitive.

Ok, so that kind of makes sense, but when I asked him if it was OK to use foundation/make up, he said "only occassionaly", so how come make up is allowed and now acne scar removal creams?

Also, I've been reading around forums and most people continue with makeup (foundation, concealer, etc), is that safe?

Please tell me what your dermatologists (or you) have to say anything about the above cases!

Thank you :)

i wear makeup everyday unless im just gonna be at home cleaning or something lol.

i use a mineral based powder makeup called sheer cover and i love it. i dont break out and it covers up my spots really well. when i have make up on ppl dont even notice that i have a skin problem.

so i would suggest trying a mineral makeup. i know they sell it at the store now too. like cover girl or neutrogena or some brand has a line of mineral makeup. its also better for your skin because its more natural.

i dont use foundation though. never liked it.

i wear makeup everyday unless im just gonna be at home cleaning or something lol.

i use a mineral based powder makeup called sheer cover and i love it. i dont break out and it covers up my spots really well. when i have make up on ppl dont even notice that i have a skin problem.

so i would suggest trying a mineral makeup. i know they sell it at the store now too. like cover girl or neutrogena or some brand has a line of mineral makeup. its also better for your skin because its more natural.

isn't it better to use foundation though?

since its liquid based and so doesn't make skin dry?

i'm confused about that aswell actually.

some people say liquid foundation doesn't let the "pores breathe", does that aggravate the acne?

isn't it better to use foundation though?

since its liquid based and so doesn't make skin dry?

i'm confused about that aswell actually.

some people say liquid foundation doesn't let the "pores breathe", does that aggravate the acne?

i dont know. back before accutane when i had oily skin it would make the foundation look yucky when my skin would get oily through out the day so i never used it after that.

i lather on tons of moisturizer before putting on makeup. cetaphil works great.

Liquid foundation frequently has additives and preservatives that clog pores and keep skin from "breathing." Your best bet if you are looking into liquid foundation is to look for items that say they are oil-free and noncomedogenic. Mineral foundation is a good alternative to such foundations as liquid-based or any sort of tinted moisturizer, as it is free of binders, fillers and preservatives, as well as being free of talc.

I use Bare Minerals and Physician's Formula mineral foundations, eyeshadows, blushes, eyeliners and bronzers on my skin, and am very pleased with the results.