Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFC

Butter?

I see alot of us have similar diets which include no dairy, why do I see people reccomend butter as a source of fat topping all the time. I just don't get it, is butter safe on an acne fighting diet?, I only use olive, coconut, and canola(I know, not everyone agrees on this one). But point being butter is dairy and I see many people allow it.. please enlighten me

No idea. I haven't had butter since I was 12. It's greasy and disgusting. It tastes really good but I can't stand the feel after spreading it on toast. It makes me feel really guilty too and probably makes me stress and cause zits. =p

Well it's safer than canola. It's animal fat. I can eat that and some cheeses without problem, only milk gives me the acne warning signs, probably due to the way it's processed.

Bread is way worse than butter for acne Brissyguy, maybe that's where the feeling comes from.

can you eat a tablespoon a day and not get any breakouts? how much is needed to provoke acne? more butter = more breakouts?

Some of us just limit dairy because it doesn't have a noticeable impact on acnt, and yes butter is a good fat. But it is also fairly common to be intolerant to dairy which you will have to figure out for yourself.

What are the ingredients of butter? I thought it was milk and canola oil? Which is still an oil that's debatable because EVOO is the only 'good' one.

Here is my very biased 2 cents.

Although I am in an anti-candida diet (paleo without fruits) I am still eating butter (cooking with butter would be a better term). From the moment I started anti-candida my acne has improved much, which I attribute not to the butter but to my current life-style as a whole. I know milk, yogurt, and cheese break me out. I tested it for a month after being paleo for about 4 months, it did not go well at all (I think it was mostly the yogurt, I will try an experiment with goat cheese in the future when I am completely clear). The reason I use it for cooking is because of its nutritional content, specifically Price's activator X. After reading "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" I bought fish oil and butter, consume it daily since then. At least where I live, I can find grass-fed butter easily (the market I go to has 3 "grass fed" butters, 2 US companies and an Irish company). If you read the book you'll understand what I am talking about. Animal fat (i.e. lard) are also good sources of activator X, but I cannot find a good source of pastured animals where I live, so I am left with butter.

Now, I don't use copious amount of butter, I also use coconut oil, olive oil, etc. I don't think I have more than 2 tbsp of butter a day.

Try it out and see how you react, it has no milk sugar as it is all fat but I would guess it does have some cow hormones.

Edited by venam

Butter has always irked me because to me, it just feels like you're spreading fat!

However I really want to use it for cooking and baking since and if all else fails I'll use evoo.

How is it healthy? Good fats? If you think about it, there's nothing bad about butter (unless you're avoiding dairy) if the butter is unsalted. It's basically cream and water and from some posts I've read people are saying have it in moderation as it's good.

In cooking, chefs use blocks (125g-250g) which seems like alot but one meal serves many people. I so want to use it in cooking and baking but I'm just so scared!

Is it in the good food pile or bad food pile, that is the question.

It's good. Look, i've eaten about 10 spoons of it from a slab once, digging in like icecream, didn't even trigger anything. I wouldn't RECOMMEND that, but hey, i'm not dead. Not a spot. I don't have it regularly though.

Don't freak out about fat. GENERALLY Fat = good, carbs = bad. Bad fat is refined vegetable oils and easy to spot.

Funny but here in OZ butter is seen as really bad so the biggest selling brands are vegetable oils (sunflower oil, canola oil) brands which also 'help' people with high cholesterol.

Looks like I'll be sticking with good old' regular unsalted butter. I'll stay away from vegetable oil based ones.

I know. I absolutely don't believe saturated fats are totally bad for you, so Imma stick with my delicious coconut milk! It's my new love!

Vegetable oil based products are really bad for you - I've known this for a while.

Just want to say thanks again now I can enjoy my butter =D