Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vicious Lyss

...and you thought having acne was bad

I agree that that is sad. I hope she doesn't let others' opinions rule her life. Your opinion of yourself is what really matters.

I think it can be dangerous to trivialized your own problems though. Acne may not be in the same category as a rare genetic condition.... but psychologically it could affect an individual to the same severe degree.

To some, it may help them gain perspective. To others, it may only further dishearten, depress, and frustrate them.

Just remember to take everything one step at a time. Don't compare yourself to others, no matter what the condition. <3

When I read "13 going on 50" I thought it was about Progeria.

I wouldn't say that I would rather have acne than this. They've both got their problems. They're both genetic. I'd get teased either way. With acne, I get teased because people think I have poor hygiene and they don't want to be around me. I know for a fact that whenever people have some sort of physical difference they will be teased by SOMEONE. Even people we consider to be "perfect" WILL and HAVE BEEN teased. It just depends on if you have a "problem" or not.

I personally believe that severe cases of acne are just as devastating as this disorder. I wouldn't take one over the other. I would just hope that I could overcome my "problem" and be more accepting of others.

That's what acne has done for me. :\

EDIT:

Everyone else is saying that they feel guilty for having a less severe problem... EXCEPT FOR ME! Now I feel bad for not wishing I had acne instead of lipodystrophy! I think the severity and persistence of my acne, coupled with the poor treatment I've received as a result of acne from my family, friends, and strangers makes my experience just as bad as hers.

I've also had acne since I was almost 10 years old. That makes this year my 8th year suffering. I'm definitely not belittling her at ALL, and if I sound like I am, I'm sorry and that's not what I intended to do. What I want to say is that acne is a genetic problem too! Maybe they should do a report on severe acne as well? It's more common, it affects people in the same way as lipodystrophy has affected this girl, and people need to hear about genetic issues that are more relevant due to their high frequency.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant... I just don't like it when people see things like this and say "Well, it could be worse."

Everything could ALWAYS be worse. The only time something can't be worse is when you're dead.

Edited by Jerichoa
When I read "13 going on 50" I thought it was about Progeria.

I wouldn't say that I would rather have acne than this. They've both got their problems. They're both genetic. I'd get teased either way. With acne, I get teased because people think I have poor hygiene and they don't want to be around me. I know for a fact that whenever people have some sort of physical difference they will be teased by SOMEONE. Even people we consider to be "perfect" WILL and HAVE BEEN teased. It just depends on if you have a "problem" or not.

I personally believe that severe cases of acne are just as devastating as this disorder. I wouldn't take one over the other. I would just hope that I could overcome my "problem" and be more accepting of others.

That's what acne has done for me. :\

Although the severe acne, IMO, is more disfiguring then her disorder, it's knowing that it can improve which would make me rather have severe acne. Here disorder costs lots of money and reconstructive surgeries to repair. No thank you.

Hey! Severe acne is EXTREMELY expensive to combat.

You have the failed "solutions:"

Topical:

Proactiv

Clean and Clear

Differin

Neutrogena

L'Oreal

Retin-A

Acne Free

Witch Hazel and toners

Murad Acne Complex

Other products

My personal total is at least $3000.

Then you have the failed pills! I've spent at least $500 on antibiotics and vitamins that were supposed to combat acne.

Now add in Acctuane, which is a whooping NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH!!!!! $900!!!

So you have $900 x 5 months, which is $4500 JUST FOR ONE TREATMENT! If I need another, or an extension, we're talking $10,000+!

Add up the explicit costs of the failed topicals, antibiotics, and one short course of Accutane, and we're talking about $8000!

Then I have the implicit costs of everything I missed out on BECAUSE of my acne, but that's getting too much into economics.

My point is, they are BOTH bad and BOTH rife with explicit and implicit costs.

Even if they are both bad... this thing she has is VERY rare. At least having acne is pretty normal these days. Even if severe acne isn't that common, it's much more common than what she's got.

She can't even get on a freaking BUS without having to pay extra

Ohhhhh the shit I'd flip..

That part bothers me. Maybe she should get an ID to prove her date of birth?

I do think that if she and I walked onto the same bus or into the same room (and I wasn't wearing any makeup) I would get treated worse than her, just because of the stigma acne has. It's supposedly caused by poor hygiene and not eating right. Essentially the results of a person who doesn't care much for herself. I think more people would be understanding to someone who tried to explain a rare genetic disorder than to someone with skin resembling meat-lover's pizza!

This isn't about self-pity. I just want you to realize that your emotions are warranted, and if you feel bad, then it's OK. You shouldn't make yourself feel guilty because you feel bad about your problem when you could have something worse to deal with. If that's how we thought about things, even cancer patients who had a 25% chance of survival would feel guilty because it could be worse--they could have only a 10% chance of survival.

I have to kinda agree with Jerichoa that a person with acne would get treated worse [worse as in, maybe staring or comments] since the girl doesn't look 'weird' cuz she just looks like an older woman.

Though I would say I'd rather have acne that I have now that have that rare genetic condition.

Edited by Geeking

^ Yeah, same.

You do have some points. Although -

This isn't about self-pity. I just want you to realize that your emotions are warranted, and if you feel bad, then it's OK. You shouldn't make yourself feel guilty because you feel bad about your problem when you could have something worse to deal with. If that's how we thought about things, even cancer patients who had a 25% chance of survival would feel guilty because it could be worse--they could have only a 10% chance of survival.

While it's always important to keep a broad perspective and remember that most of us are very lucky in many ways, I'm also reminded of what Thomas Aquinas said about how knowing about greater suffering doesn't do anything to diminish your own.