Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Q_P

Can at-home acne lamps irritate skin?

My skin is always red, and all I do to it is wash with a tea tree face wash for 10 seconds in the morning, use the NatureBright Red/Blue acne lamp for 15 minutes, wet my face with lukewarm water, and then moisturize with Complex 15. The lamp appears to reduce inflammation as my face is less red right after I use it, but I'm not sure if it's making things worse in the long run. :think:

Firstly, the instructions on my beauty skin red/blue lamp state that symptoms may get worse before they get better.

Secondly, i did experience some red/dry/sore skin when i first started with it, which has gotten better. Note that i think i was sitting too close to it at first and have backed off a bit.

I've been going 4 weeks but can't judge it's effectiveness yet.

Thanks for the input! I'm on about 4 weeks with my lamp as well, and things definitely got worse around the two week mark and haven't improved yet. My lamp didn't warn me of that, yipes. How close do you sit to your lamp? I keep my face about 6-8 inches away, but that might still be too close.

Here's hoping we both get cleared up in the weeks to come! :D

i stay about 8" away.

I saw your blog about trying to change your acne with your diet, it is the general understanding here in UK that diet has NOTHING to do with acne, what do you think now?

Also you mentioned a trip to arizona where your skin cleared, do you think it may have been sun exposure which did this?

i stay about 8" away.

I saw your blog about trying to change your acne with your diet, it is the general understanding here in UK that diet has NOTHING to do with acne, what do you think now?

Also you mentioned a trip to arizona where your skin cleared, do you think it may have been sun exposure which did this?

I sat a little further away today and my face was less irritated! :D

It's the general understanding here in the States that diet has nothing to do with acne, as well. HOWEVER, after spending enough time in the Nutrition & Holistic Health forum and seeing story after story of people clearing their skin with diet and supplements, I believe that diet definitely DOES affect acne for SOME people. Many people experience improvements in their acne by cutting out dairy, sugar, refined processed foods like white bread, and gluten for a few months. Unfortunately, I eat a nearly "perfect" diet and still have moderate acne, so it's probably not the answer to my acne problems. It's worth a shot if you haven't tried it yet, though.

I'm still not sure what happened in Arizona. It could have been all of the exercise and fresh air I got from hiking and kayaking, it could have been that I had a really awesome sleep cycle, or it could have been the sun. However, I didn't clear up when I went to Florida or the Virgin Islands, so I think it may have been a combo of the sun and the dry heat that did it.

My son started having problems with tea tree oil products on his face...after awhile his face started swelling and we found out he was allergic to tea tree oil.

yes like said before, tee tree oil is very strong so thats why it could be irritating your face.

Yeah tea tree is supposed to be quite irritating for some people.

Try taking a few days off with the tea tree and seeing if there is any improvement, also just as a note the complex 15 stuff made my face red as hell when I used it. So it could be your topicals making your face red.

I dont know if you have ever been on accutane or not, but before I had my skin was pretty tough, afterwards it got very sensitive, and most moisturizers make my face go really red, i sure tea tree oil would make me red aswell, so it took me a while to realize that it was the topicals I was using that caused the redness

Thanks for the tip off about tea tree oil, guys! I switched my cleanser to something without tea tree oil and it seems to help but this cleanser dries my face out a bit too much. I just can't win. :lol: Also, I've never been on Accutane, but I think abuse of Differin/Duac a few years back really screwed me over. My skin has been super-sensitive ever since. I think Complex 15 is OK though.