Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sayno2Fraxel

Fraxel Dangers

I am here to say: Don't do Fraxel!! I just went thru different web site postings regarding damage caused by fraxel, much of which does not start to show until many months after procedure. You can find postings on Realself and IPL and Laser Damage Support Group (google those names). I did 6 full face fraxel sessions for acne scarring a year and a half ago, completed May of 2008, still suffering from total HP, used HQ after, have done peels, use 30 sunblock every day, & not only do I look worse, its af I aged 5-10 yrs. (other posts have stated similiar exp) I am 36, mexican with naturally tan skin, now I have HP blotchy skin all over face especially around eyes. Worse is that I'm experiencing fat/tissue loss with big depressed holes that have just started to form, I look like a monster!!! I wish i would have found this type of information  before i even thought of doing the procedure!!! I dont think its docs fault, its the companies selling the equipment and the FDA so called approval!!  We have not been told the truth regarding adverse reactions and risks!! Please, please, don't do Fraxel!!

If you feel you want to, do all the research first and ask lots of questions. 

Fraxel did not improve my scars

but definitely made my skin worse and I will repeat that damage starts to show months later!! There are many stories like mine that have started to surface and there is a group of us

who are trying to get a class action going so that hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else. 

Pictures or it didn't happen. Seriously, I am tired I people talking shit about a procedure without providing pictures. First off, What truths about adverse effects? You having tan skin is a problem, there is a much larger risk for complications everyone knows that. Second how do you know the peels did not cause your problems? I thought people stopped using peels, they have the worst results for deeper scars and the highest risks/complaints from people who have had them. Lastly because it did not work for you does not mean that it will not work for others, for every bad case there are thousands that went right, more often then not your physician and your lack of knowledge (risks) on a procedure is the problem.

There are pictures on realself from people claiming this. Awalk is one that comes to mind. I won't do fraxel because of it. I am not convinced it's safe. It just hasn't been used by the general public long enough. Additionally, I don't think it;s better than any other laser for scars, but that's just my personal opinion based on other people's outcomes with it after the microswelling went away.

Well Michael 24 people share their stories good or bad. As for photos, when I get the courage to actually take

a picture I will. I can't even look at myself in the mirror most days,  

been depressed in bed the last few months. It wasn't until I started researching on the web that I realized

I'm not alone! There are hundreds of us!!

I went to a very reputable plastic surgeon in Silicon Valley (the same city where the fraxel technology was developed) I paid top dollar for a top doc.

Minimal risks were explained to me, yes I was expecting HP, doc assured it would subside within a few months. If that was my only problem, I wouldn't be on here. There was nothing as to the laser marks remaing on your face, or that this machine causes so much thermal damage that months later you dramatically age overnight, or more importantly that your face can start melting off (fat/tissue loss). I don't think the color of your skin is an issue, there are many with worse stories than mine with light skin. Those are the adverse risks that need to be spelled out clearly by the Fraxel makers!! Those are the risks that were no where to be found when I was looking into having this procedure done! 

FDA approval means crap, think of all the drugs that have been approved by the FDA where thousands of people ended up dying and the drugs recalled. 

This site is full of stories where people paid the thousands of dollars only to find out that it did not improve their scars at all. If that is all they have experienced, no reduction in scarring, they are very fortunate.  

there are a lot of people that have had bad experience with fraxel.

Seems like almost 50/50 online. I don't ever want to do lasering because of this. I feel it is too risky.

I saw one woman on RealSelf who supposedly had Fraxel re:pair; she was badly injured by the treatment (she posted photos). But I say "supposedly" because you (or should I say "I"?) never know what is real and what is not. lol

My derm has a Fraxel too, since recently. She said it would fill my scar with collagen which would greatly improve its appearance, although she wasn't 100% sure if it would work. I don't think I'll do it, though. I can get the same effect with a filler and it won't be as risky as Fraxel is.

Edited by I do not have acne

there are a lot of people that have had bad experience with fraxel.

Seems like almost 50/50 online. I don't ever want to do lasering because of this. I feel it is too risky.

Fraxel is one thing, lasering in general is another. I've had good experiences with Vbeam, Vstar and ruby lasers. Those lasers have lower risks involved. At medium intensity, I think the risks are super low based on personal experience. At higher intensity settings, then yes there are some real risks. I had a Vstar treatment which was *very* intense that actually damaged a portion of my skin. But like I said , the intensity was kind of insane. lol It healed up OK, though. Anyway, all other treatments didn't have any bad side effects whatsoever. So I recommend lasers, personally. Just be careful with the settings.

Edited by I do not have acne

i agree with i dont have acne,

it comes down to the use of the lasers and the less extreme the laser setting, the less possibility there is for scarring. I've never had laser, though have been offered it on many occasions. I've been shown numerous before after photos of people who frankly didnt look too much better. I think they all looked worse. Their skin tone was terrible and their scarring wasnt reduced very much. They looked more like freaks from the beautiful people they were previously. I wouldnt be showing potential clients those pictures, lol. Many didnt discuss the treatment in too much detail and seemed to pretty much offering laser without really thinking about it. There was definitely a strong ego behind it not to question them which I am sure many of you are facing.

If you are considering it, find someone who you can trust. its your face after all so only get the very best. usually if you dont feel right with the person, its a sign that maybe you shouldnt go with them. heaps of people on here can recommend good places where laser treatments are available.. maybe we should all chat to them?

On that note, why arent you guys trying needling, punch excisions, saline injections or the like. They all seem a lot more promising, are a lot cheaper and dont damage the good skin :)

i have seen pics frpom fraxel resotre for shallow scars anf they have improved the scars after the microswelling, 3 months later

There are pictures on realself from people claiming this. Awalk is one that comes to mind. I won't do fraxel because of it. I am not convinced it's safe. It just hasn't been used by the general public long enough. Additionally, I don't think it;s better than any other laser for scars, but that's just my personal opinion based on other people's outcomes with it after the microswelling went away.

I won't often reply when the generic term Fraxel is thrown about because I am not an advocate of Fraxel Re:store, but I believe in Fraxel Re:pair. Awalk is a large critic of Re:pair and she has never had it. There are enough warnings out there that hispanic people should be cautious. I have posted Christine's case from RealSelf on my Laser-Link-O-Rama thread http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...ma-t252527.html as a warning that things can go wrong. Nobody has ever figured out what went wrong in her case. She had her Re:pair shortly before my first one in May 2008 at lower treatment levels than mine was done at.

Who did you go to ?

How much sun exposure did you have ? Sunblock needs to be applied every couple of hours.

I went to a very reputable plastic surgeon in Silicon Valley (the same city where the fraxel technology was developed) I paid top dollar for a top doc.
Edited by usacc

Pictures or it didn't happen. Seriously, I am tired I people talking shit about a procedure without providing pictures. First off, What truths about adverse effects? You having tan skin is a problem, there is a much larger risk for complications everyone knows that. Second how do you know the peels did not cause your problems? I thought people stopped using peels, they have the worst results for deeper scars and the highest risks/complaints from people who have had them. Lastly because it did not work for you does not mean that it will not work for others, for every bad case there are thousands that went right, more often then not your physician and your lack of knowledge (risks) on a procedure is the problem.

I don't think anyone here is obligated to post pics with their opinions/experiences with a product or scar revision technique. You are basically demanding someone to put up a picture, wich is very personal. I personally think hearing both sides of the table is a great thing. It's good to hear the good, the horrificly ugly, and the great. Then and only then can we make wise decisions. If you think this poster is lying, then don't read it. However, I say thank you for your story, and no pic is required.